uniqs

icex
Premium Member
join:2004-05-22
USA

icex to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

Re: What to charge customer for changing their mind?

No, I'm sick of the smart ass replies.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to icex

Premium Member

to icex
said by icex:

Let the thread die already.

I wonder if this general attitude contributed to the customer just blowing him off.

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Let the thread die already.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

"we don't want your opinion"

If you don't want an honest answer don't ask the question to begin with.

as I said already...

I believe the OP has learned his lesson here already and chalked up a lot on the "charge to experience" balance sheet...

and just so to be clear, his questions were answered....in good and of course the smartass way hence the " we dont want your opinion" retort...

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to icex

to icex
"we don't want your opinion"

If you don't want an honest answer don't ask the question to begin with.

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
I think you should read again. Were did I say that after they paid me $25 I diden't return the machine? I diden't. Read the fucking thread.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

If it's nearly impossible to prove there is agreement it might as well not exist.

rule of thumb is, if you and or the other party doesn't come to an agreement, walk away immediately. period...

i never contract paid for services without a written agreement...and even if I have one, I ask a ton of questions and make sure to note of it in the service agreement specially when you see one with a good amount of fine print mumbo jumbo at the bottom.

if you can't or if you see another party not holding or can't seem to hold a verbal agreement, don't try making any negotiations in the first place...

I believe the OP has learned his lesson here already and chalked up a lot on the "charge to experience" balance sheet...
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to billydunwood

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

said by 40757180:

No written agreement=no agreement at all. Verbal agreement means nothing, you basically did virus removal out of goodness of your heart. Refusal to return machine after customer pays $25=theft and if that was me I would sue you in court.

Wrong. A verbal agreement is an agreement, as long as both parties acknowledge. Yes, the odds of that happening are slim to none, however it is still an agreement. Just because something is not in writing, does not mean its not an agreement.

If it's nearly impossible to prove there is agreement it might as well not exist. Yes you are technically correct that verbal agreement is legally enforceable.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

No written agreement=no agreement at all. Verbal agreement means nothing, you basically did virus removal out of goodness of your heart. Refusal to return machine after customer pays $25=theft and if that was me I would sue you in court.

Wrong. A verbal agreement is an agreement, as long as both parties acknowledge. Yes, the odds of that happening are slim to none, however it is still an agreement. Just because something is not in writing, does not mean its not an agreement.
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to icex

to icex

waldoooo
join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

waldoooo to icex

to icex
didn't read all the replies but I learned the same lesson in the automotive custom fabrication business long ago. Customers change their minds, talk to people who convince them to do something else or just can't come up with what they thought they could and tell any story to cover their tracks.

Have a signed written estimate once you diagnose it or often they are a ways away from you so have them sign a receipt for the diagnosis and $25 fee, call them for a verbal agreement once you figure it out from a cell or land line that will document the time. once they agree note on the invoice the price quoted, time and date of approval. That may or may not hold up if they took you to court but most people are pretty honest, you get a signature and they know you are serious about business.. it might piss them off if they have to come back 25 miles or so just to sign to approve work.

its not worth making waves with the customer just for the fact how damaging one person badmouthing you can be, when people are satisfied most don't go too far out of their way to pat you on the back(some do) but an upset customer will make as many waves as they can.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to NickD

Premium Member

to NickD
said by NickD:

Someone gave me their computer and promised to pay me $100 to fix their computer. Oh my, it was full of viruses and spyware. 5 windows with a fake antivirus scan popped up on boot up. There were so many "toolbars" on the browser. I had backed up the hard drive because it was so badly infected I decided to reinstall Windows. He kept annoying me because I was "taking too long." Then he decided to argue over the price he promised to pay.

I got so tired of it. I decided to restore the backup of the hard drive with all the viruses on it. Of course, I imaged the hard drive after reinstalling Windows, in case he decided to change his mind and pay me. He didn't, so I gave his computer back exactly the way it was when he gave it to me, full of viruses and spyware. I had to be selfish because I don't work for free.

what took you so long?

my ex wife got her laptop fixed, and the guy put in a lockscreen? If she didn't pay the extra $$$ he wanted, she didn't get a password.

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to icex

Premium Member

to icex
Someone gave me their computer and promised to pay me $100 to fix their computer. Oh my, it was full of viruses and spyware. 5 windows with a fake antivirus scan popped up on boot up. There were so many "toolbars" on the browser. I had backed up the hard drive because it was so badly infected I decided to reinstall Windows. He kept annoying me because I was "taking too long." Then he decided to argue over the price he promised to pay.

I got so tired of it. I decided to restore the backup of the hard drive with all the viruses on it. Of course, I imaged the hard drive after reinstalling Windows, in case he decided to change his mind and pay me. He didn't, so I gave his computer back exactly the way it was when he gave it to me, full of viruses and spyware. I had to be selfish because I don't work for free.

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex to SychoSly

Premium Member

to SychoSly
Customer agreed to pay $25 to pick the machine up.

SychoSly
Scoot the World
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
Mount Prospect, IL

SychoSly to icex

Premium Member

to icex
So what did you end up doing? How much did you end up charging?

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to icex

Premium Member

to icex
You can bill her whatever she originally agreed to pay and no more.
If she agreed to pay for your time to diagnose and that's it then that's it.

Your scenario is one I have ran into numerous times both in self employment and while working for a repair business. It's more or a less a cost of doing business. You eat it sometimes. Same thing happens in most other professions too.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to icex

Premium Member

to icex
In my own business. I charge 60$ for virus clean up, much cheaper the a box store "express" cleanup and I do it right.

Rebuild of a computer is 50$, because it does take less time since I don't have to play around and be careful since its a fresh install.

A used PC can be bought for 100$ these days, why would I bother shelling out 120$ for a motherboard thats specific to HP? I assume you quoted them the prie of the HP replacement part on this.

People might "want" new but they don't need/have funds for new. Find used and sell them.

Recycle PC's! 8-)

And yes, I've inherited quite a few PC's ad did get a "oh no I changed my mind its too expensive" when I quoted 100$ for a bettter used PC as the motherboard was totally fried when I inspected it. (could even smell that lovely plastic burned smell)

Oh and as for what you should charge her, first, 25$ is what you decided to charge, if you had a verbal agreement from her to perform virus removal, charge her 75$ or whatever your rate it but skip the 25$ as you say you do, if she balks, keep the PC, plain and simple, verbal ok to perform teh virus removal was given, if she doesn't like it, tell her you've had the PC and charge her a storage fee then hold a 1 person auction and sell it to yourself or 1 penny. LOL (just kidding) but do NOT return it to her "disassembled" you took it apart to see the issue and give an estimate, that means you are responsible for putting it together.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to icex

Premium Member

to icex
Had another one this week, the owner is a dj. Basically someone was a bit toasted and spilled a beer on it.

Pretty much took the hard drive and attached it to a sober machine and got it to read the data. The drunken laptop would boot but if the drive did detect once it was only once.

Final verdict- buy a new one! Considering how much nicotine the laptop smelled like, a new one would go a lot further.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to icex

MVM

to icex
Bottom line, outside of the $25 initial fee, I don't see you charging/recouping any more.

The problem is that the work was expected to be done after the customer gave you the money for the new parts, so it is a reasonable expectation on her part that the work had not begun.

With no written contract or anything other than verbal, I just don't see it, although I can understand that you did indeed spend more than a cursory amount of time on the project...but this is one to just eat, and gain wisdom from.

P.S. No, I do not think that what you charge is unreasonably high based on what real repair shops charge, and far better than the pathetic excuse for tech service that is offered by BB and Staples...just don't think that you have much of a "legal" leg to stand on here, for asking more. Virus or not, the computer is still broke, right?
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to icex

Premium Member

to icex
Conversation should have been simple.

MB is bad. A new one is $120+shipping + $50 to install it. Will take 3 weeks.

Or go buy a new computer. $100 will cover set-up and file copy.

End of work.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to motoracer

MVM

to motoracer
said by motoracer:

Diden't didn't.

Which does not matter...

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to icex

to icex
Diden't didn't.

icex
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

icex to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
Nope, don't beleive me I don't give a fuck.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to icex

Premium Member

to icex
Confession?
Expand your moderator at work

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski

Re: What to charge customer for changing their mind?

Ok.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to icex

Premium Member

to icex
Yes. Things just don't add up.

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Realy, you calling me a liar? The customer specificaly told me on the phone they dident want to wait on the motherboard to come from China. I told them we could upgrade it with newer parts and she said that was fine she would have the money ready the first of November. Call me a liar all you want, realy don't care.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to icex

Premium Member

to icex
Nice try. The wait wouldn't factor into it as they came for a repair. You couldn't fix it as is evident by your other thread, so my guess would be you told them that it would take all that to repair it, not upgrade. Why? Because either way they would have waited either for the board from China or to save up the cash.

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex to David

Premium Member

to David
Check amazon for a price on those. I thought about doing that for my excavation business, but most people prefer a daily flat rate around here anymore.