Wow, you have some real toys!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Saw that link, very nice setup!

It will be better in the new thread I'll make as things will be finalized. The only "unfinished" stuff are add-ons like lighting and receptacles in the shed that were made possible since I ran a second raceway to bring in power TO the shed through 30A 3-wire.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to ptrowski
Thanks - but I need them.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Chinabound:

And what do you NEED out of a recreational plane kit?

Chinabound
Premium
Antioch, IL
Check for squatters?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Chinabound:

And what do you NEED out of a recreational plane kit?

I'm sure it's to spread fertilizer or to see the deer for hunting season.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Chinabound
Premium
Antioch, IL
I spread enough fertilizer here, don't I?
It's great for the occasional topless sunbather in her backyard, although one almost made me vomit this past summer.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to Chinabound
said by Chinabound:

A little more than he needs, wouldn't you say?

He asked what we all use, not what we recommend for his particular situation. Given his question phrasing, my answer was appropriate.

Chinabound
Premium
Antioch, IL
Fair enough.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to ptrowski
I found a great snow removal option...

Move somewhere snow rarely ever falls.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
I did that for a while. TX, KY, and Fl.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to burner50
said by burner50:

I found a great snow removal option...

Move somewhere snow rarely ever falls.

I just moved up here from Florida 5 years ago. You still have to maintain the lawn all year so it's either lawn work or snow work. I'd much rather use a snow blower then a lawn mower!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Draiman:

I'd much rather use a snow blower then a lawn mower!

What if they made a lawn mower than blows lawn like a snow blower?

Now that would be A-SOME. I'd let my grass grow to 10 inches before plowing through.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to ptrowski
I'm in the market to replace my 7 year old MTD 21" single stage 2-cycle sorry ass excuse for a snowblower with a real one. When I say "real", I mean one that can go through a half foot or more of snow down a four car driveway without crapping out halfway or sooner and actually finish the job without me having to having to do any shoveling. And I'd rather not be bothered with having to mix the oil and gas (I wouldn't mind oil changes... I do them on my lawn mower).

I have my eye on the 24 inch Sno-Tek that Home Depot has for $599.99. I originally considered this 24" Craftsman that's on sale now for $499.99 but the Sno-Tek appears to be the better deal since Sears charges $69.99 for delivery and Home Depot offers free delivery... and the Sno-Tek has a bigger motor. I might even be able to use that 10% off Lowe's coupon that's in the USPS Change-of-Address packet (has anyone here had any difficulty getting Home Depot to accept this coupon for an online order?)

I dropped by a Home Depot tonight and looked at a 28" Sno-Tek and a 24" Ariens Compact side-by-side (they didn't have a 24" Sno-Tek on display). The Ariens Compact has a Briggs & Stratton motor and a metal chute. The Sno-Tek has a Chinese motor and a plastic chute (but bigger than the one on the Ariens). But the controls on the two were almost identical. I'm wondering if the Ariens Compact is really worth the extra $200?

I'm also wondering if I'd be just better off to get a good ol' used one off of Craigslist... but the prices on the ones on Craigslist aren't much better than of a brand new one (at least here in Cleveland).

EDIT: Fixed links

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit
said by slyphoxj:

I dropped by a Home Depot tonight and looked at a 28" Sno-Tek and a 24" Ariens Compact side-by-side (they didn't have a 24" Sno-Tek on display). The Ariens Compact has a Briggs & Stratton motor and a metal chute. The Sno-Tek has a Chinese motor and a plastic chute (but bigger than the one on the Ariens). But the controls on the two were almost identical. I'm wondering if the Ariens Compact is really worth the extra $200?

I have the Sno-tek 24", though it has a metal chute.

It was this one
»www.homedepot.ca/product/sno-tek···d/918481

Same model, different chute... weird.

I can't complain for mine, but we had an almost non-existent winter last year. I did get to test it on snow banks made by the city plows. You can imagine how dense plowed snow banks are, yet it was able to eat through them, even if the snow was higher than 20".

I already tested it for this coming winter and it started just fine (needed a couple of pull since the fuel line was empty).

The electric start works, but isn't needed since it starts easy after a pull or two.

said by slyphoxj:

I'm also wondering if I'd be just better off to get a good ol' used one off of Craigslist... but the prices on the ones on Craigslist aren't much better than of a brand new one (at least here in Cleveland).

It's a risk. If you are able to repair the machine yourself easily, go for it, more power to you! But if a broken blower = sending to a repair shop, you might not want to take a chance. Who knows why the seller is selling the blower, maybe the problem isn't obvious. Maybe the problem is like your current blower, it chokes on snow, but acts just fine when idling (can't test that unless you have tons of snow around).

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to ptrowski
Sno-tek is a Chinese made machine sold by Arien's. It's a cheaper model then the orange Made in America Arien's unit. They are a decent machine but you get what you pay for. Don't expect it to last more then 5 years as it wasn't made to last and you didn't pay for it to last. Search on Sno-tek repairs and you'll find tons of people who can't find parts for the motor. I did a ton of research on them last year myself before going with a Arien's Deluxe over the Sno-tek.

A few of the differences.
Sno-tek 11" auger vs. Arien's 14" auger
Sno-tek 9.5 engine torque vs. Arien's 11.5 engine torque
Sno-tek 205cc vs. Arien's 250cc
Sno-tek 178 lbs. vs. Arien's 220 lbs. (Lots of plastic!)
Sno-tek 12" impeller vs. Arien's 14" impeller
Sno-tek no headlight vs. Arien's has a headlight
Sno-tek plastic chute vs. Arien's all metal chute
Sno-tek throws up to 40' vs. Arien's throws up to 50'
Sno-tek Chinese made vs.Arien's American made

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ···ications
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···ications
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Draiman:

Sno-tek is a Chinese made machine sold by Arien's. It's a cheaper model then the orange Made in America Arien's unit. They are a decent machine but you get what you pay for. Don't expect it to last more then 5 years as it wasn't made to last and you didn't pay for it to last. Search on Sno-tek repairs and you'll find tons of people who can't find parts for the motor. I did a ton of research on them last year myself before going with a Arien's Deluxe over the Sno-tek.

Sno-tek is a Chinese made machine sold by Arien's.

That's all that needs saying

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Draiman:

Yea I'm sad Arien's sold out making a lower quality/price machine to sucker people into spending their hard earned cash on a sub-par machine. Most people don't know anything about it except it's the cheapest machine they can find so they buy it thinking it's worth their money. If it seems too good to be true......it is!
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

And Ariens branded machines are assembled in the US, but by what quality standards?

LCT engines are at least designed by an american company. Production is simply much cheaper in China due to multiple factors like labor, land leasing, materials supplies, proximity of other parts suppliers.

Just because something is made in the states doesn't mean they applied the best quality standards, nor is it that because it is made in China that it was made as bad as possible.

Honda cars are made better than chryslers, yet they are both made in the states.

We're only basing our assumptions on the past reputation of chinese made machines, a reputation made when quality engines were ONLY made in Japan, Germany or North America. Things are changing now. I took a leap of faith on the Sno-Tek snow thrower, but I can say from having used it for a year that it feels lot more solid than generic crap snow throwers and has a TON of power.

Will it break sooner than a Honda engine? Probably, especially when they are not well maintaine. Is it worth paying 2x the price? Only time will tell.

In 5 years I guess I could make a solid statement on the Sno-Tek's reliability. It's also too soon to bash it for being made in China. So far, the Sno-Teks have hundreds of reviews on home depot's website and their scores are near their upper-end counterparts.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to ptrowski
Check out real reviews from consumer reports or other websites. It's not in HD's best interest to have bad reviews since dealer's don't sell Sno-tek only box stores. Dealer's sell Arien's though so you have to ask yourself why won't dealer's stock a Sno-tek and stand behind them like an Arien's?

Let's just take a wild guess. a Sno-tek has a weaker engine, small parts, and plastic parts. That means it's more prone to break and the engine takes more stress since it's moving the same amount of snow with less torque, smaller gears, and plastic parts. It only stands to reason given 3-5 years of use the extra stress will reduce the useful life on a Sno-tek far below a machine of any other brand which has correctly sized gears, engines, and uses quality materials on the parts that matter. Just saying....
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
Click for full size
Everyone there gave it 4/5 except for one dude who gave 1/5 because he seems to have gotten an open box (tons of accessories/parts missing).

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to ptrowski
Also add in the fact Sno-tek has only been around since 2009. That means they have been in service for 2 winters and last winter was virtually no snow. Not enough time has elapsed for people to be able to form a valid opinion on their machine yet. Listen to Arien's talk about their own machine! (see below)

"...the company has labeled the machines Sno-Tek, rather than Ariens, because they use different engines and have some less expensive parts."

"We had experience with their engines before we put them on a Sno-Tek," Dan Ariens said. "And we think that we have managed the risk by making sure we have backup support systems if there is a problem."

"But Ariens Co. isn't worried about its value-minded product line stealing sales from the Ariens brand.

A customer that wants a robust Ariens product isn't the same customer that will buy a Sno-Tek, Dan Ariens said."

I bet you not many Sno-tek owners know a Sno-tek is a budget sub-par machine made to compete in a down economy. If that's what you want then you get what you paid for. Just wanted to point it out so people UNDERSTAND what they're buying. They are paying less and getting less in all regards.
--

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
The issue ive had with chinese engines wasnt quality, it was parts cost, you can rebuild a briggs or tecumseh carb for about 10$ the last chinese engine carb i played with cost over 60$ to fix

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by telco_mtl:

The issue ive had with chinese engines wasnt quality, it was parts cost, you can rebuild a briggs or tecumseh carb for about 10$ the last chinese engine carb i played with cost over 60$ to fix

That's what my dealer said when asked about Sno-tek last year. He said the few they serviced so far it took weeks to get the parts and cost a ton of cash since they were so difficult to obtain. If it breaks during the winter your SOL for a long time waiting on parts then paying a premium to get them. Not a gamble I'm willing to take personally. Paying someone to plow while my budget snow blower is in the shop for 3-6 weeks isn't my idea of a deal.
--

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by Draiman:

said by telco_mtl:

That's what my dealer said when asked about Sno-tek last year. He said the few they serviced so far it took weeks to get the parts and cost a ton of cash since they were so difficult to obtain. If it breaks during the winter your SOL for a long time waiting on parts then paying a premium to get them. Not a gamble I'm willing to take personally. Paying someone to plow while my budget snow blower is in the shop for 3-6 weeks isn't my idea of a deal.

thats why when my inlaws gave me their old tecumseh powered blower i kept the 7 year old engine off my old one. just in case, its pretty bad that its easier to get parts for a tecumseh (bankrupt company) than some of the chinese engines

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by telco_mtl:

its pretty bad that its easier to get parts for a tecumseh (bankrupt company) than some of the chinese engines

Techumseh parts are still available through Certified Parts Corporation in Wisconsin. Techumseh has not completely shut down, it's just been sold off.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

thats why when my inlaws gave me their old tecumseh powered blower i kept the 7 year old engine off my old one. just in case, its pretty bad that its easier to get parts for a tecumseh (bankrupt company) than some of the chinese engines

Just use Honda parts. 99.9999% of the parts are the same as the Chondas are very good copies...

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

Also add in the fact Sno-tek has only been around since 2009. That means they have been in service for 2 winters and last winter was virtually no snow. Not enough time has elapsed for people to be able to form a valid opinion on their machine yet.

That may be true for us in the Northeast but the rest of the country (Miswest, West) got their fair share of snow. And I'm sure HD sells SnoTek there too...

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by itguy05:

said by Draiman:

Also add in the fact Sno-tek has only been around since 2009. That means they have been in service for 2 winters and last winter was virtually no snow. Not enough time has elapsed for people to be able to form a valid opinion on their machine yet.

That may be true for us in the Northeast but the rest of the country (Miswest, West) got their fair share of snow. And I'm sure HD sells SnoTek there too...

It could be the entire world selling them and still with only 2 winters and one being VERY mild for everyone there's no one who could provide an accurate review given no Sno-tek is outside warranty yet.
--