Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to ptrowski

Re: Snowblower replacement...

Check out real reviews from consumer reports or other websites. It's not in HD's best interest to have bad reviews since dealer's don't sell Sno-tek only box stores. Dealer's sell Arien's though so you have to ask yourself why won't dealer's stock a Sno-tek and stand behind them like an Arien's?

Let's just take a wild guess. a Sno-tek has a weaker engine, small parts, and plastic parts. That means it's more prone to break and the engine takes more stress since it's moving the same amount of snow with less torque, smaller gears, and plastic parts. It only stands to reason given 3-5 years of use the extra stress will reduce the useful life on a Sno-tek far below a machine of any other brand which has correctly sized gears, engines, and uses quality materials on the parts that matter. Just saying....
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Click for full size
Everyone there gave it 4/5 except for one dude who gave 1/5 because he seems to have gotten an open box (tons of accessories/parts missing).

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to ptrowski

Also add in the fact Sno-tek has only been around since 2009. That means they have been in service for 2 winters and last winter was virtually no snow. Not enough time has elapsed for people to be able to form a valid opinion on their machine yet. Listen to Arien's talk about their own machine! (see below)

"...the company has labeled the machines Sno-Tek, rather than Ariens, because they use different engines and have some less expensive parts."

"We had experience with their engines before we put them on a Sno-Tek," Dan Ariens said. "And we think that we have managed the risk by making sure we have backup support systems if there is a problem."

"But Ariens Co. isn't worried about its value-minded product line stealing sales from the Ariens brand.

A customer that wants a robust Ariens product isn't the same customer that will buy a Sno-Tek, Dan Ariens said."

I bet you not many Sno-tek owners know a Sno-tek is a budget sub-par machine made to compete in a down economy. If that's what you want then you get what you paid for. Just wanted to point it out so people UNDERSTAND what they're buying. They are paying less and getting less in all regards.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

The issue ive had with chinese engines wasnt quality, it was parts cost, you can rebuild a briggs or tecumseh carb for about 10$ the last chinese engine carb i played with cost over 60$ to fix

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by telco_mtl:

The issue ive had with chinese engines wasnt quality, it was parts cost, you can rebuild a briggs or tecumseh carb for about 10$ the last chinese engine carb i played with cost over 60$ to fix

That's what my dealer said when asked about Sno-tek last year. He said the few they serviced so far it took weeks to get the parts and cost a ton of cash since they were so difficult to obtain. If it breaks during the winter your SOL for a long time waiting on parts then paying a premium to get them. Not a gamble I'm willing to take personally. Paying someone to plow while my budget snow blower is in the shop for 3-6 weeks isn't my idea of a deal.
--

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by Draiman:

said by telco_mtl:

That's what my dealer said when asked about Sno-tek last year. He said the few they serviced so far it took weeks to get the parts and cost a ton of cash since they were so difficult to obtain. If it breaks during the winter your SOL for a long time waiting on parts then paying a premium to get them. Not a gamble I'm willing to take personally. Paying someone to plow while my budget snow blower is in the shop for 3-6 weeks isn't my idea of a deal.

thats why when my inlaws gave me their old tecumseh powered blower i kept the 7 year old engine off my old one. just in case, its pretty bad that its easier to get parts for a tecumseh (bankrupt company) than some of the chinese engines

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network

said by telco_mtl:

its pretty bad that its easier to get parts for a tecumseh (bankrupt company) than some of the chinese engines

Techumseh parts are still available through Certified Parts Corporation in Wisconsin. Techumseh has not completely shut down, it's just been sold off.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to telco_mtl

said by telco_mtl:

thats why when my inlaws gave me their old tecumseh powered blower i kept the 7 year old engine off my old one. just in case, its pretty bad that its easier to get parts for a tecumseh (bankrupt company) than some of the chinese engines

Just use Honda parts. 99.9999% of the parts are the same as the Chondas are very good copies...

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

Also add in the fact Sno-tek has only been around since 2009. That means they have been in service for 2 winters and last winter was virtually no snow. Not enough time has elapsed for people to be able to form a valid opinion on their machine yet.

That may be true for us in the Northeast but the rest of the country (Miswest, West) got their fair share of snow. And I'm sure HD sells SnoTek there too...

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by itguy05:

said by Draiman:

Also add in the fact Sno-tek has only been around since 2009. That means they have been in service for 2 winters and last winter was virtually no snow. Not enough time has elapsed for people to be able to form a valid opinion on their machine yet.

That may be true for us in the Northeast but the rest of the country (Miswest, West) got their fair share of snow. And I'm sure HD sells SnoTek there too...

It could be the entire world selling them and still with only 2 winters and one being VERY mild for everyone there's no one who could provide an accurate review given no Sno-tek is outside warranty yet.
--

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

said by Draiman:

It could be the entire world selling them and still with only 2 winters and one being VERY mild for everyone there's no one who could provide an accurate review given no Sno-tek is outside warranty yet.

Again last year's winter was only mid for the Northeast. The rest of the USA got normal snowfall. But yes only 2 winters worth of use it may be too early to tell. Then again my "junky" Craftsman is still going after 6 years. Only issue is the finicky emissions compliant Tecumseh carb. But that's probably due to my poor storage habits early on.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by itguy05:

said by Draiman:

Again last year's winter was only mid for the Northeast. The rest of the USA got normal snowfall. But yes only 2 winters worth of use it may be too early to tell. Then again my "junky" Craftsman is still going after 6 years. Only issue is the finicky emissions compliant Tecumseh carb. But that's probably due to my poor storage habits early on.

Let's add in some facts about last Winter since you're stuck on it being only for the NE part of the US. Only 9 states had an average winter last year.

"U.S. Winter 2011-2012 is Fourth Warmest in Recorded History"
»www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/03/···-history
--

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Well, we'll see. I have a sno-tek and this winter is announcing itself to be a regular winter.

If I have problems, I'll be glad to report it
So far, it started last week for a ready check.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

I don't think there's anything inhenently wrong with the SnoTek machines - looking at them, they are very similar to the MTD built (Toro, Canadian Tire, lower end JD, etc) machines...

They just aren't an upper-end machine, either; despite being built by Ariens...

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to ptrowski

MTD snowblower engines are made in China. Parts availability is not an issue, and the quality is good. They aren't Chinese designed, they are designed in the US and built to specs. I would assume Snotek is similar. That said, I still like my Ariens.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to ptrowski

I finally wound up getting the Ariens Compact 24 from the Home Depot site for $799.99. I did a Live Chat with a rep who added in the 10% off Lowe's mover discount bringing the subtotal down to $719.99 plus 7.75% sales tax bringing it to $774.83. I ordered it through the Citi Bonus Cash Center site and hopefully will get 3% off of the $774.83 bringing it down to $751.58. It should be delivered to my home in the next week or two by a local Ariens dealer.

I just kinda felt uneasy about the Sno-Tek with its no-name Chinese motor. Are the Ariens Compact 24's and the Briggs & Stratton motors on these still made in the US?