uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's not over coax...

... it's over fibre, and only in areas where they run fibre direct to the premises. Instead of converting from fibre to coax at the home they'll just wire data directly and bypass DOCSIS all together.

Rogers, Cogeco and Shaw also have fibre-to-the-home deployments throughout Ontario and in most new neighbourhoods this is the default method of deployment, but as far as I know Rogers are the only ones who are now taking advantage of it.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

I'll need to double check my math, but you'd burn your cap in 5 hours of maxing this connection.

Again given the cost of transit, and this is a dedicated fiber run. Cap's are solely an anti-competitive maneuver to keep the sub on legacy cable systems.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Rogers, Cogeco and Shaw also have fibre-to-the-home deployments throughout Ontario and in most new neighbourhoods this is the default method of deployment, but as far as I know Rogers are the only ones who are now taking advantage of it.

As is Bell. Even DOCSIS and what will be 3.1 is very limiting very quickly when you try to roll out higher speed tiers and/or more than a handful of such users in a neighborhood but also incapable at all of the upstream speed being used on the hier tiers being rolled out now by Rogers/Bell/Cogeco/Shaw, etc.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to I_H8_Spam

MVM

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

I'll need to double check my math, but you'd burn your cap in 5 hours of maxing this connection.

You'll burn your cap in less than 2 1/2 hours actually. (assuming you actually use the symmetrical connection to its fullest)

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

... it's over fibre, and only in areas where they run fibre direct to the premises. Instead of converting from fibre to coax at the home they'll just wire data directly and bypass DOCSIS all together.

I don't believe that it technically bypasses DOCSIS altogether, as that would require two completely different backend architectures. It's probably some form of RFoG, like Cisco's Prisma D-PON solution, which extends DOCSIS over a FTTH infrastructure.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· aper.pdf

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

They utilize RFoG for television, phone and regular cable modem services that operate on converted coax at the premises, but I would be willing to bet that a 250/250 symmetrical service is utilizing its own IP backend over the fibre and not the optical modulated RF stream. The currently-deployed DOCSIS specifications out there don't support 250Mbit/s of upstream bandwidth, which sort of rules that out.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Gone:

The currently-deployed DOCSIS specifications out there don't support 250Mbit/s of upstream bandwidth, which sort of rules that out.

It would be possible if Rogers had an R&D partnership with some equipment manufacturers for DOCSIS 3.1.

But Rogers' Internet page for 250/250 is "Rogers Ultimate Fibre" and is only "available in select areas" so it looks like we're talking actual fiber.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

There's probably no point in even bothering with DOCSIS 3.1 if you're going straight fibre.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

It would be possible if Rogers had an R&D partnership with some equipment manufacturers for DOCSIS 3.1.

DOCSIS 3.1 the spec won't be out until Q2 of next year. You won't see chipsets for CPE until early 2014. CMTS gear even later.

It is more likely they've connected these very limited customers to a Metro Ethernet network as Comcast has done.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

It is more likely they've connected these very limited customers to a Metro Ethernet network as Comcast has done.

This.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Gone:

said by 34764170:

This.

I had assumed they were rolling out this new speed tier to more than just ONE neighborhood in Toronto. Only servicing one neighborhood would make it extremely easy to build and/or extend a Metro Ethernet network to said neighborhood.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well, one has to take note that "Toronto" probably means the GTA, and that something like this is probably available up in York Region rather than in Toronto proper itself. Rogers will most likely eventually roll this out to anywhere that they have fibre directly to the home, which I would assume is going to be a *lot* of homes up in York Region and a smaller number in Peel and Durham. When one considers that Futureway was doing fibre directly to new homes in York, Peel and Durham back in the early 2000s and using media converters, and that Rogers bought them in the mid-2000s, and that Rogers also has their own deployments all throughout new development in their territory (which is most of the growth in Ontario as it is) Rogers probably has the potential to service a lot more customers this way than Bell does.

Rogers aren't the only ones, either. Nearly all of Binbook is fibre through Shaw, and Cogeco has swaths of it in Ancaster, Oakville, Burlington and Thorold (and I'm going to assume Niagara Falls as well). They just haven't bothered to do anything with it - yet.