spc
Search similar:

uniqs
claudiubotez
join:2009-06-28

claudiubotez

Web pages not correctly displayed in IE9

Hi,

This is my config: Win7 64 Pro, IE9 latest update, compatibility mode for all, "use software rendering..." checked.

Still I cannot properly view these 2 webpages:

»www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp

This for an Australia visa , I should be able to click and apply but nothing happens.

AND THE OTHER ONE:

»www.ugdsoft.com/products ··· nwatcher

The windows here are on top of each other.

In Firefox everything looks good>

Any ideea why?

Thanks,
Claudiu

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

1 edit

Exidor

Premium Member

Probably won't help you, but it works for me on Win7 64 Home, IE9 latest update...and I would not mind taking a trip to Australia.

Edit: I should add that IE9 is on default security settings and I do not normally use compatiblity view.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey to claudiubotez

Premium Member

to claudiubotez
I was going to reply immediately that it was okay, but then realized I was using Chrome. I closed Chrome and opened IE9. The pages load fine in IE9. I do not have software rendering checked. I do not use compatibility view for "all." I have this set to use it for "intranet." Maybe one of those options is affecting your IE9?
claudiubotez
join:2009-06-28

claudiubotez

Hi rcdailey,

Yes, disabling "Compatibility View for all" did the trick!!!

Thanks,
Claudiu
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to claudiubotez

to claudiubotez

Im glad ya got it working!!

I was gonna say both sites work fine on IE6 (The first site when i click APPLY takes me here: »www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/ ··· it=apply)

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by 19579823:
I was gonna say both sites work fine on IE6
Who cares about IE6?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Those of us that run it

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to claudiubotez

Premium Member

to claudiubotez

Re: Web pages not correctly displayed in IE9

said by claudiubotez:

Hi rcdailey,

Yes, disabling "Compatibility View for all" did the trick!!!

Thanks,
Claudiu

Now I wonder why that setting affects the pages you mention, but at least you were able to solve the issue. I'm on systems that run Win 7 Pro 64-bit a lot, but my personal computer is a really old Dell running XP SP3, so I don't have a way to check it except when I am where the Win 7 systems are located.

Speaking of issues with Win 7, change of topic, I guess, I recently found that the new MS desktop theme files are designed to install on Win 8, and therefore won't install on Win 7 systems. Images can still be set individually by renaming the containing file and manually selecting, but that's counter to what can be done with Win 7 compatible theme files. They are beginning the process of obsoleting Win 7, it seems.
Win7
join:2012-10-13
L5x3t4

1 recommendation

Win7

Easy to test, even in XP, just enable "compatibility view for all" and click on the links provided; if you get a messed-up screen , that's the test.

Dissable and test again.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 recommendations

Dustyn to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear

Re:  

said by Smokey Bear:

said by 19579823:
I was gonna say both sites work fine on IE6
Who cares about IE6?

Exactly.

Typed in "IE6" into Google serach and found this:
»www.ie6countdown.com/

In another twist put together as an April Fool’s joke ... 5th result down on Google search has an alternate point of view:
»saveie6.com/

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

2 edits

rcdailey to Win7

Premium Member

to Win7

Yeah, but in XP you can't use IE9, just IE8, so saying that it fails in IE8 would not prove that the same thing would happen with IE9. It might be so, but it wouldn't be proven.

I'll add that I did try IE8 with compatbility view turned on for both of the sites the OP posted. The OP said the first one wouldn't display at all in IE9, but it does display in IE8, though the frames are stacked on the left instead of side by side.

The second site has the frames overlapped slightly, which seems to be the same as the OP says happens with IE9.

The OP mentioned the "use software rendering" option in IE9. I cannot find a similar option in IE8, so maybe that also has an effect in IE9. If you know of a "use software rendering" option in IE8, let me know. I don't use IE all that much, but it would be nice to know if that option exists. Everything I have found indicates that this is new in IE9.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Yea your right RCdailey i just looked @ the second link again but on mine the top 3 windows are UNDERLAPPING that black bar...(The windows themselves are not overlapping)

I think its interesting how different browsers render stuff SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!!

EDIT:

That second link requires scripts to be enabled!! -- I WENT BACK TO THE PAGE WITH SCRIPTS ENABLED AND IT DISPLAYS PROPERLY!! -- Its quite an amazing layout they have to be honest! (Some sites dont display right w/o scripts enabled)

martg
join:2005-11-19
South UK

martg to claudiubotez

to claudiubotez

Have you emptied the cache recently? A cache that is too full can sometimes cause page display problems.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

It did not occur to me to describe the behavior as "underlapping." That's probably what it really is, but I suppose that an actual screen image would show it better. I do have scripts enabled in IE, but I don't use IE that much. I hate to think what the pages would look like in IE10, or if they would display at all.

Chrome or Firefox are fine for me, personally. I have the Win 7 systems defaulted to use Chrome, but IE9 is there. I never installed Firefox on them, but they aren't my property, either.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by rcdailey:

I hate to think what the pages would look like in IE10, or if they would display at all.

Those pages look fine in IE 10. Why would you think they wouldn't?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

1 edit

rcdailey

Premium Member

Just the fact that they did not display correctly in IE9 if certain settings were enabled. However, the default settings are no doubt correct for almost any site. That's how the settings were/are on the Win 7 system that I used to check out the sites in the first place. I guess I just got carried away with all this "compatibility view" business.

Added: Mele, if you are trying IE10, how does it behave for you? I saw another thread that indicated a lot of users are having problems with the preview.

TomTom
@eggsolutions.com

TomTom to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
If you check "Compatibility View for all" the pages will not display correctly in IE 10.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Even if you have scripts enabled bud??
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
I have a new computer with Win 8 so no preview of IE 10 in Win 7. I am either returning this computer though, or, preferably, exercising my downgrade rights to Win 7 Pro. Win 8's deal breaker is its extremely ugly display. No point in having a video card on Win8 ...it will still be extremely ugly display besides the horrible Metro crap (desktop is fine except for the ugly display and the lost of the Advanced Display Items list so I cannot adjust the display to the way I want it. One size does not fit all).

So, I may have IE 10 on Win 7 in the future. I have used IE 10 only until I could get Sea Monkey installed (I couldn't find Fx `10 ESR on Mozilla's FTP site and I wanted off of IE 10 as fast as possible and I did see the latest Sea Monkey so I installed that. Later I installed Fx 10 ESR. I've used IE 10 only a little.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

Ah, I think I recall your mentioning having gotten a new system with Win 8. I hope they will offer an update in the future for people who want to use a "classic" Win 7 interface.

It surely seems that Win 8 will be much better for tablet and smartphones than for desktop systems, at least in terms of the interface.