uniqs
share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Market Capture

People who are fed up with Cable switch to Telco. (Again)

People who are fed up with Telco switch to Cable. (Again.)

Around and around she goes. (People who for whatever reason can't turn it off... usually family demands.)

People who have done this a few times and are sick and tired of both and have no choices, and aren't under horrible family pressure for TV, just turn it off, period.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Re: Market Capture

said by KrK:

People who are fed up with Cable switch to Telco. (Again)

People who are fed up with Telco switch to Cable. (Again.)

Around and around she goes. (People who for whatever reason can't turn it off... usually family demands.)

People who have done this a few times and are sick and tired of both and have no choices, and aren't under horrible family pressure for TV, just turn it off, period.

People have choices. Not ala-carte. But they have choices.

Horrible family pressure? That hardly describes the 100 million households who choose to buy pay-tv bundles. Rather, Pay-TV represents the cheapest lowest-common-denominator entertainment value.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

Yes, they have choices.

Take it or leave it.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
AS for Family pressure, it effects way more of those 100 million households then you think.

There's millions of people out there who would turn it off in a heartbeat--- but their spouses/significant others and children would throw a fit....
.... so they bend over and pony up again.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by KrK:

There's millions of people out there who would turn it off in a heartbeat--- but their spouses/significant others and children would throw a fit....

I really cannot understand this kind of thinking. When it came time to for us to cut the cord (we did not switch to another pay TV provider, unless you count Netflix) I simply said we didn't have the money, and that was the end of the discussion.

I don't want to start a discussion about all the social problems that plague this country, but the inability of a breadwinner to tell his/her family "no, you can't have this because it is too expensive" is a pretty terrible thing.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Because they think you really CAN afford it, you just need to give up something that you spend money on so they can have what they want.
--
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
said by KrK:

AS for Family pressure, it effects way more of those 100 million households then you think.

That's not "horrible family pressure".
That's called "committment".

$60/month for couch-potato-ism based domestic harmony is much cheaper than marital counseling. I know, it doesn't say much good about the state of the family in America, but that isn't anything new.

We turned it off in a heartbeat years ago. But if ms. elray decides she "must" have it back, while I'll scrutinize and negotiate the connection, I'm not going to say "no".

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Exactly.

There are a lot of people in this position. They may be underwater, behind on bills, no medical insurance, but they aren't going to turn off PayTV because the fighting just isn't worth it.
--