signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

3 recommendations

[Food] First time it came out this way

I fancy myself an ok cook, even good with some things, but I've always had great difficulty getting chicken breast meat to not come out dry while cooking the rest of the bird correctly. In fact, it's made me consider vegetarianism (well, for a moment, I was one for a little while).

Today I cooked a roaster, a 7 pounder, and amazingly, it came out so moist and juicy I can hardly believe it, the breast is as juicy and moist and all as the leg. Here's what I did:

Preheated oven to 375. I used Penzy's Northwoods Fire Seasoning (this might be too spicy for some of you, warning, but they do make a non fire version). I spiced the breast UNDER the skin.

I put the bird in after sitting out of the fridge for an hour, fully defrosted and still cool, but not cold.

I made a tent of aluminum ONLY the size of the bird. I did not form it or press it against the pan, just laid it on top, and removed it after an hour or so. Again, it was just a loosely rested tent not big enough to actually cover the entire bird.

I cooked for about 18 minutes per pound at 375. I only opened the oven twice.

The breast is so juicy it surprised me. If I was a pro it couldn't have come out better, and I am NO PRO (not like you, Dominokat).

Yes, the skin on, yes the skin is beautifully browned.

This was a roaster (I couldn't get these in TN, so roasters aren't available everywhere).

If I ever roast a turkey again, I will use this trick.

This is a good thing because whole roasters are relatively cheap and the kind of thing I can make without a ton of effort and feed myself for a while. I've had roasted chicken of other folks, and this was by far the best ever.

Anyways, that's all, simple really. I think the combination of the temp and the foil tent is the thing. I honestly didn't expect it to work.

Incidentally, the oven is a gas oven, the cheap apartment kind, and still it came out right.

I used a pyrex pan, the only one I have.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Reviews:
·Mediacom

3 recommendations

Sounds good!!!

You know, you might make a mixture of Wesson Oil & that Northwoods Fire Seasoning to baste with. You could call it Penzy's Oil!

Geeze, the lengths I'll go through to make a bad pun!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2

3 recommendations

reply to signmeuptoo
Try it with a goose. That way your goose is cooked!

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
I cook ALOT of chicken and my favorite way to do a whole bird is butterflied. Cut out the spine with kitchen shears,put chicken on a baking sheet breast side up and press flat. Work your hand under the skin to loosen it from the meat. Work a bit of butter and herbs under the skin,drizzle olive oil over the outside of the skin. Salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 400-425 about 12 mins a pound for a 5 lb bird.(YMMV) Let rest 15 minutes and serve. Perfect every time and simple.
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I'll try that when I get some shears.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1
Theres a restaurant supply store out towards Cheshire. Sometime when youre up for it give me a shout and we can go poke around. Awesome place! You would love it!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Sounds great, I bet I would! Sis bought me a wok a couple days ago, just a small one since it is only me. Only thing I don't like is it is a non stick wok, a real self respecting wok is high carbon steel that is seasoned with no teflon coating.

I need some spatulas for it, or whatever they call the flat spoon like things used to stir fry. And I need one of those strainers too. And I need a meat thermometer and an 8x8 baking pan.

I am really limited by kitchen space (smallest kitchen I've ever had) though.

I love those restaurant supply places, it's like being in a candy shop or a hardware store or a Fry's electronics, so many gadgets, so little time!

Maybe when I get some more hours, I'll look ya up. BTW, jobs working out ok, some days are tough, but over all I've come a long ways.

Edit: I need a peeler and a real cooking knife too, a santokou type. And a boning knife and a sharpener and a steel. Don't know where I will put all that though.

What knife do you guys recommend if you could only have ONE knike for all your cooking? Brand? Model? Obviously, I'm looking for non serated high carbon stainless.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

You really need to have someone else there while you use it. After all, if you have company, you'll Never WOK Alone!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Except when I am doing the watermelon crawl...