spc
Search similar:

uniqs

drewfar
join:2002-10-01
m4y0a2

drewfar

TekTalk Voice Codec

I was hoping someone in here from Teksavvy could chime in, I was wondering which Voice Codecs were supported by TekTalk?

Additionally, what is set up by default on a TekSavvy purchased SPA2102?

I have some family set up on TekTalk and one of the things that has been mentioned is that a high pitched female voice sets off a DMTF tone as if someone pressed a number on the phone. This would seem to indicate to me that a codec with compression such as G729 is set as the default on the device.

The web interface seems to not be available on the device so I can't even check this myself, like it's been disabled by TekSavvy. TekSavvy can obviously push config to the device as they've had a couple of changes since they got the service.

Any input on the codecs and why the web interface seems to be locked down?

Cheers

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

TSI Support1

Premium Member

Hello drewfar,

We default to the G711u codec with our ATAs on TekTalk.

In regards to the Web-UI being password protected, this is a decision made by our procurement department and management. Part of the reason this was decided was because there are too many settings in the ATA that can be changed that will negatively affect the service. In the past we had unlocked ATAs and it seemed like we ended up having to replace too many of them. Things like customers trying to update the firmware can cause the TekTalk service to never work again because it's a custom firmware.

I apologize for any inconvenience but this was viewed as being the best solution for that.

Regards,
TSI Rizwaan

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to drewfar

to drewfar
It's a common issue in Linksys SPAxxxx adapters called talk-off and there are some tweaks that can help with it. However since TSI controls the configuration, they are the ones that need to apply it.
See these threads:
»[General] Random DTMF Tones
»[VoIPo] DTMF tones galore....
phabsch
join:2011-11-28
Waterloo, ON

phabsch

Ha! My wife has been complaining about this recently. She often hears it while talking with her mother. I've never experienced it though. Good to know it's actually happening to others as well.

It would be great to get this addressed.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

The settings they need to change are:

DTMF Process INFO = No
DTMF Process AVT = No
DTMF Tx Method = InBand

drewfar
join:2002-10-01
m4y0a2

drewfar

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Any comment from TekSavvy on this?

I keep hearing that this is quite annoying for them amongst other things, and I get comments like "I'm not sure if this internet phone thing is the right way to go".
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Feel free to visit us in the »VOIP Tech Chat forum and we can suggest some service providers without that issue.