uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone

Re: It's not over coax...

said by Gone:

said by 34764170:

It is more likely they've connected these very limited customers to a Metro Ethernet network as Comcast has done.

This.

I had assumed they were rolling out this new speed tier to more than just ONE neighborhood in Toronto. Only servicing one neighborhood would make it extremely easy to build and/or extend a Metro Ethernet network to said neighborhood.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Well, one has to take note that "Toronto" probably means the GTA, and that something like this is probably available up in York Region rather than in Toronto proper itself. Rogers will most likely eventually roll this out to anywhere that they have fibre directly to the home, which I would assume is going to be a *lot* of homes up in York Region and a smaller number in Peel and Durham. When one considers that Futureway was doing fibre directly to new homes in York, Peel and Durham back in the early 2000s and using media converters, and that Rogers bought them in the mid-2000s, and that Rogers also has their own deployments all throughout new development in their territory (which is most of the growth in Ontario as it is) Rogers probably has the potential to service a lot more customers this way than Bell does.

Rogers aren't the only ones, either. Nearly all of Binbook is fibre through Shaw, and Cogeco has swaths of it in Ancaster, Oakville, Burlington and Thorold (and I'm going to assume Niagara Falls as well). They just haven't bothered to do anything with it - yet.