Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by nix30281:

any ideas how or if this can be repaired its about the size of a fist

Yep about the size of a fist

They can patch worse holes in Fiberglas boat hulls so the shower should be able to be patched.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to nix30281

MVM

to nix30281
Fiberglass repair kit from about any local autoparts store. Mesh fabric and resin. Just like repairing Corvette bodies. Oh and a decent sander and dust mask.
nix30281
join:2012-11-14
Acworth, GA

nix30281

should I just rip out the loose flaps and patch the hole or brace the back and fill in whats left there? newbie fiberglass man:)
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to nix30281

to nix30281
Can you get at the back? If so, then push it out so that the pieces fit together as nice as they can and then patch the back with a fiberglass repair kit to strengthen it and hold it in place.
The finished side is gelcoat. It can be repaired, but that's not an easy thing to make pretty.
You might be best off just sealing the crack.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

2 recommendations

pende_tim to nix30281

Premium Member

to nix30281
There was a tub in a new home that I found to have been damaged during construction. The builder had a service that was able to repair the crack.

The process took about an hour. First step was to clean the surface, next step was to mask, then he sanded the area, mixed resin, added a bit of color, smoothed it on, textured the surface, cured, sanded 4x, applied factory matched color, sanded, then sealed. Can't even tell where the repair was made and I know the general area.

I was talking to him while he was working, and he said that his next job that day was a renovation construction "oops". It seems the plumber's helper drilled the holes for the shower control on the wrong side of the new shower stall! No problem he said.

If you want a professional job, look for fiberglass repair locally or contact the manufacturer and see if they have anyone in the area authorized to repair. These people will have the proper top coat colors and paints to match the existing surface.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

said by pende_tim:

There was a tub in a new home that I found to have been damaged during construction. The builder had a service that was able to repair the crack.

The process took about an hour. First step was to clean the surface, next step was to mask, then he sanded the area, mixed resin, added a bit of color, smoothed it on, textured the surface, cured, sanded 4x, applied factory matched color, sanded, then sealed. Can't even tell where the repair was made and I know the general area.

I was talking to him while he was working, and he said that his next job that day was a renovation construction "oops". It seems the plumber's helper drilled the holes for the shower control on the wrong side of the new shower stall! No problem he said.

If you want a professional job, look for fiberglass repair locally or contact the manufacturer and see if they have anyone in the area authorized to repair. These people will have the proper top coat colors and paints to match the existing surface.

I have used a similar service, and they were worth every penny.

Mine was a hole the exact size of the hammer that I left in the kids hall bathroom by accident.

When the service tech was done, the hole was gone - good as new.