Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

usshelena6

join:2010-07-03
Layton, UT
reply to guyw

Re: CenturyLink DSL speeds dropped in the last week

So I called tech support for Century Link and got a tech who could not answer my questions and could only read the script he had in front of him or on the computer. I told him I am using a Belkin 600 Dual Band Router pushing 600Mbps on two channels of 2.5Ghz and 5.0Ghz. The router is connected to a netgear dsl modem which picks up the signal from CenturyLink. I use a Nexus 7 and two Galaxy phones via the wifi and like to stream from Vudu by way of a Netgear wi fi extender which has a CAT5e cable to my dvd player.

The first month of so, I was able to stream HDx from VuDu and my tablet and phones rocked. But just in the last week or so, tablet and phones have been dragging and my VuDu streaming is barely SD quality with buffering errors and network errors. So I decided to track my DSL signal. I pay for 12Mbps and know I will only get about 10Mbps and that is what I get when I ping a server in the state of Utah. But any server outside of Utah on Comcast, Megapath or the like is pinging around 3-4Mbps. When I explained this to the tech at Centurylink, he said, "Well, if you surf outside your home state, your speeds will always drop." I was dumbfounded and had no idea what to say except to try and explain to him that the Internet is global, hence the WWW acronym. He said Centurylink was pinging 10.4Mbps on their local server in my area and it must be my equipment.

So unless my speeds increase, I am heading to Comcast and will glady pay the money to have them connect it, lease a cable modem from them and anything else.