spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

S25onic

join:2009-11-16

DSL or Cable?

This probably has been talked to death but I would like to know a more recent story.

So I'm planing on upgrading my internet on Teksavvy. I already have DSL. But Cable offers more for less so it seems.

What do you guys think, should I switch over to cable? Will there be problems I will encounter, if so I would like to know a lot about it. Would more people on cable decrease my speed? (I read something about that somewhere)

Thanks for your time.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Cable. But it might depend upon where you are.
If you're not in one of the heavily congested areas around Toronto, then Cable should be a win. If you're in the Ottawa area, Cable definitely wins.

I normally get 28mbits/sec down, even during "peak periods". The 1mbit/sec uplink is the limiting factor when I'm running more complex applications though.

fxs

join:2011-10-19
l3r

2 edits
reply to S25onic

As with many things, your mileage may vary. I've never experienced the dreaded local node or POI congestion on cable. I have both Bell DSL 25/7 and Tek Cable 28/1. Other than the cap, Bell DSL and Tek DSL roughly equivalent, I suppose.

Speed: Cable wins only by a whisker. I get 40-50Mbps down.
I sure like 7 up on DSL then again I'd like 1000/1000 too like I have at the office and our DC.

Reliability: DSL wins
Been on Cable almost 2 years. Was rock solid but then over the last 2-3 months have had numerous, mostly brief issues on cable (complete outages and packet loss). Obviously I have a DSL as "backup" but it is still a hassle to register a case in the direct forum, do troubleshooting, and test to see if issue still there every few hours/days.

Cost: Cable wins
Price (to a point) is least of my deciding factors.

So it's a toss up for me. If price and speed are main factors for you then it's less of a toss up.

Edit: I'm in Markham.

Expand your moderator at work

S25onic

reply to S25onic

Re: DSL or Cable?

Ops I thought I added my location. Sorry about that.

I live is in Scarborough in an Apartment around other apartments lol. Not sure if that effects anything but i'll add it.

Thanks for your replies. I'm trying to look into it further and would like to know more experiences from others.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
reply to S25onic

If you use or intend to use VoIP, I'd strongly recommend you keep your DSL service. My experience with cable was terrible. I had excellent service for a few months, but then the service degraded quickly and modem resynced several times every day.

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by JeanInNepean:

If you use or intend to use VoIP, I'd strongly recommend you keep your DSL service. My experience with cable was terrible. I had excellent service for a few months, but then the service degraded quickly and modem resynced several times every day.

I'm in Nepean as well, have Voip (over Starts cable) and haven't had an issue. Maybe it was your ATA or something in your setup that was an issue?

Dufus

join:2010-10-20
Scarborough, ON
reply to S25onic

I have TSI cable and I would not recommend a switch to it right now.
There have been SOOO many problems with that connection in these past few months that I broke down and ordered Bell 25/10 to supplement the ultra flaky TSI cable connection. (WAF was approaching divorce levels)

Things in the TSI cable world will likely stabilize in the nearish future... but for now (at least in the Toronto area) it's nothing but an exercise in frustration.

S25onic

reply to S25onic

If I were to upgrade to from DSL to faster DSL or cable, would I need to pay extra for activation fees again?

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON

Going from ADSL (6/1) to ADSL2+ (15/1) or VDSL (25/10) requires a tech to switch your line, so you can expect some activation fees.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to S25onic

said by S25onic:

If I were to upgrade to from DSL to faster DSL or cable, would I need to pay extra for activation fees again?

For DSL, yes. Anything past the 6 meg there is a $95 activation fee (+$19.99 if dry loop)

For Cable, if you are juts upgrading a cable package from one package to another, there is no fee.

If you are transferring from one to the other, all activation fees would be applicable as its a different vendor, it would be like a brand new sign up.