uniqs
share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

Automatic Tranny Internals....

Rebuilding my tranny in my Jeep. Yes, I've done it before... Yes, I have the tools to do it... For the record, it is a 1996 42RE...

So... I am building another trans. These are the parts I am ordering so far...

New Gov pressure transducer and gov pressure solenoid (Mopar)
New OD and TCC lockup solenoids
Torque converter (Advance Auto)
Main filter and Magne-fine Filter (Advance Auto)

(Trans parts house below)
Seal kit
Sprags
Bushing kit
thrust washer kit
front and rear bands
OD planet Bearing and thrust plate
Clutches and Steels

Now... there is a couple of things I am battling over... First is the clutches. I am using an Alto clutch set.. not the Red Eagle, but just the stock ones...

Also... I am looking at using a Sonnax "Sure Cure" kit.. which the big thing I like about it is that it allows cooler flow in park. It has various other things in it. Problem is, I don't want to monkey with the valvebody any more than I have to...

Anything I left out? Anything else recommended to replace?
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry On

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

Update - I am ordering the Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
reply to neonhomer

I can't believe, with all of the automotive types here, that no one has an opinion on this....

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to neonhomer

Just to be frank and no offense to anyone or this forum, but when it comes to Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge products, I highly recommend visiting specific forums for them. From personal experience, they hold TONS of indepth knowledge way beyond what is usually just generic make-agnostic info offered on this forum.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to neonhomer

said by neonhomer:

I can't believe, with all of the automotive types here, that no one has an opinion on this....

I have been working on cars for over 30 years. Have done near everything over the years.

Like most people, auto trans is one thing I don't do. Just too involved to do anything over an oil/filter change.

That and I never owned a vehicle that had an auto trans

I bet few on this forum have ever done and auto trans work other than basic maintenance.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I'd prefer a manual tranny for my Jeep, but it is what it is.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to neonhomer

I have rebuilt and race-built automatic transmissions. Rebuilding an engine is a simple matter compared to automatic transmissions, IMHO.

Your list looks great (and is probably more than you need). Since you have done it before, I assume you realize that the (ring) seals are critical. I have never done it without damaging seals and needing extras. The slightest nick or sliver in a seal - throw it in the trash; or the tranny will not work right or at all.

As for the clutch steel & friction plates, you may want to consider milling the clutch pistons to increase the quantity of frictions & steels. This, as you probably know, is another trick to making the transmission stronger.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I did buy a new seal kit, and the last time I bought this same kit, it came with extra seals. We did nick one of the seals on the last built, and we just trashed the seal and picked up another.

Will have to see where we are when we check clearances on each clutch set.

One thing I am confused about is the Kolene steels. They are black from the factory. I assume they get installed as is, and don't have to remove the black coating. (Considering the black coating is the treatment...)
--

Keep Calm and Carry On

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

The coating is probably a wear inhibitor. Unless the mfr says to remove it, I would leave it alone.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to neonhomer

I don't think anyone meant to ignore your thread. I have rebuilt oodles of automatics, but very few Mopar's at all. The occasional A904 and a few 727's but no hands-on experience with the newer ones.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I believe the A500 is basically the same as a 904, just with overdrive and electronic control. A lot of the parts I have are for either A904 or A500...

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

You are likely right on that. I noticed you don't want to mess with the valvebody, but there really isn't anything intimidating to em. I would for sure get it apart and thoroughly clean all the valves and spools, as that is the number one source for shifting issues with any auto tranny.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

We are going to tear it down and clean it. My book shows where all the balls go, but we are going to only take it half at a time so we do not get springs confused... A lot of them look alike.

I've already done this transmission once... last year. I installed a "shift reprogramming kit", but found out that I probably used the wrong directions... using the diesel directions instead of the gas directions. I believe this is what caused this transmission to fail.

Hence the reason why I don't want to monkey with the valvebody too much! I am looking at a different manual valve, though. One that will let the fluid flow to the converter in Park... The kit is $150...
--

Keep Calm and Carry On