TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to dnoyeB

MVM

to dnoyeB

Re: Comcast

said by dnoyeB:

When I search for DSL on the ATT website it comes back saying 'DSL is not available in your area but go to this other page and see if you can get UVerse.'

My last house could not get UVerse but could get DSL. I don't get AT&T.

It's ... complicated. But AT&T wants to decommission their older, ADSL equipment; I believe this is because it is harder to find vendors still making, or even supporting it. They are replacing it with newer, ADSL2+ equipment. Along with this they are replacing the older ATM network , and phasing out PPPoE authentication.

In addition, they can't deliver IPTV over copper loops in excess of about 3500 feet. So they are rolling out "IPDSLAM"; using PTM on the backhaul (instead of ATM), and 802.1x authentication (instead of PPPoE) for loops up to 12,000 feet (or so) ... and calling it, "U-verse HSI". This newer IPDSLAM service will use ADSL2+ (usually for CO connected residences), or VDSL.

So "U-verse" will not always include television service (IPTV). They also use it for marketing their newer, Internet-only IPDSLAM service. As they decommission ADSL equipment, they will no longer offer the older ADSL service.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

The problem is they want to charge me for that. I don't have any desire to pay more just because the choose to give the product a different name.

Comcast is giving me internet for about $25/month (+$15 w/o TV). AT&T is competitive with their DSL offering, but they are not with their UVerse offering. Basically they shrunk their portfolio and squeezed me out.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS

MVM

said by dnoyeB:

The problem is they want to charge me for that. I don't have any desire to pay more just because the choose to give the product a different name.

A different name? It is a different product!

Comcast is giving me internet for about $25/month (+$15 w/o TV). AT&T is competitive with their DSL offering, but they are not with their UVerse offering. Basically they shrunk their portfolio and squeezed me out.

Interesting. Looking at their availability page for a former residence ... 1 year promotion for $19.95 a month. Probably not a "dry loop", though, if that is what you are looking for. Same price given for "at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro" (the old ADSL package) and for "U-verse HSI Pro" (the newer IPDSLAM package.

P.S. Just received a postal offer. I went to the web site and entered the "invitation code". Here is the cheapest deal offered to me:

Postal offer ...

They can't offer a match for my current service; capability, or price.