Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

2 edits

RobThompson to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf

Re: Google Voice just verified my Montreal cellphone number!

Click for full size
I had a Canadian Gmail account to which I added a Google Voice account by using HotSpotShield.

My Google Voice account would allow me to enter my Canadian cell number but would not verify it.

I downloaded the 'Google Voice' app from here: »play.google.com/store/ap ··· glevoice

During the install process I entered my Canadian Gmail/Google Voice account & PW. At some point the install displays the phone numbers that you have on the GV account - my cell phone number *did not* appear. On that same page, there is an option to 'Add this phone'. I selected that option and the install finished.

I logged back into my GV account and my Canadian cell number was now VERIFIED.

I tried a call and Google Voice placed it directly from my cell phone - no 'callback' as the 'Voice+' app does.

I just dialed my Google Voice number from my home phone and my cell phone rang!

HTH.

Rob.
gecko
join:2011-04-03

gecko

This definitely works. I think the key step is to "Add this number" from the Google Voice app on an android phone. BTW, GV did not identify the provider with the number I tried, but it is still verified. The Android app uses a different verification method (text message instead of call back), which might be why it works. The iPhone app does not work.