share rss forum feed

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

Looks like talks have broken off again, no further plans. I seem to recall that mid-November was thought by some to be the unofficial deadline that really put the season at risk, and that around mid-December was pretty much the absolute cut-off.

Pat Quinn had a good point. In the very short career of an NHL player which rarely goes more than 10 or 12 years, anyone now playing who was also active in the 2004-05 season is on track to lose two seasons out of his career because of these friggin' lockouts, and that is a huge deal that also affects his stats and standings. Not that it makes any difference to Buttman and the other fat cats, who never do anything more physically demanding than lighting a cigar.
--
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by Wolfie00:

Looks like talks have broken off again, no further plans. I seem to recall that mid-November was thought by some to be the unofficial deadline that really put the season at risk, and that around mid-December was pretty much the absolute cut-off.

Pat Quinn had a good point. In the very short career of an NHL player which rarely goes more than 10 or 12 years, anyone now playing who was also active in the 2004-05 season is on track to lose two seasons out of his career because of these friggin' lockouts, and that is a huge deal that also affects his stats and standings. Not that it makes any difference to Buttman and the other fat cats, who never do anything more physically demanding than lighting a cigar.

While that's true, its still hard to feel bad for the 5% in a money war with the 1%. I can understand them doing it on principle, because the less they take, the more the owners get (its not like if they took cuts the fans would get cheaper tix and merch). Still I find it hard to sympathize with either side as they all make so much money from it.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

Sure the players make a lot of money, but not nearly as much as in many other pro sports -- just look at salaries in MLB or the NFL. Besides, unless you're suggesting that the players should just give the owners everything they want for the sake of the fans, I don't see how it's even relevant. How about asking the owners to give the players everything they want for the sake of the fans? It works both ways. But historically, remember, it was always the players who were getting screwed in the early days of the NHL.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

they mentioned the very same thing on TSN the other night...they used Jerome Iginla as an example...assuming this season is lost, those 2 years cost him $14 million in pay, and likely 70 goals...his is getting close to being a 600 goal player, that that 70 goals really hurts his career stats too.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell