spc
uniqs
tedmarshall
join:2000-12-02

tedmarshall to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish

Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Station

Disclaimer: I own a Leaf.

Right now, Nissan has some very attractive leases on 2012's.

There are definitely questions of the battery's longevity in warm climates. In Florida, I would think about a short lease; there are nice 2-year leases available. In my climate, there are not (yet) problems.

Personally, I don't like the interior of the Volt. I felt like I was sitting in a hole.

Also, Ford is coming out with a nice plug-in hybrid, not as far electric-only range as the volt, but still worth looking at.

Definitely do your homework.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

As a big Honda fan, I think I am just going to wait until I can at least check out the plug-in hybrid Accord that is due in January 2013 as a 2014 model.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to tedmarshall

to tedmarshall
When we lived in South Florida my wife purchased a 2006 Lexus RX-400h hybrid to replace a Volvo Cross Country. The Cross Country got about 12 Miles per gallon and required premium fuel. She traveled 25 miles each way to work through bumper to bumper traffic. A friend that owned an RX-300 only got about 14 miles to the gallon so my wife decided to purchase the hybrid. When she replaced the Volvo she was very pleased because fuel mileage went from 12 Miles per gallon on premium to 24 to 26 Miles per gallon on regular.

That seemed great until we moved to Central Florida when the fuel mileage dropped to around 22 miles to the gallon. When we replaced the RX-400h with an RX-350 which was not a hybrid. The RX-350 got from 19 to 22 Miles to the gallon. The only reason that we did not loose our shirts on the $7,000.00 difference in price between an RX-300 and RX-400h was that there was an income tax credit on the purchase and an incentive by Lexus on the sale of the RX-400h because fuel prices had dropped.

We traded in the RX-400h when gas prices were high and the Lexus dealer was offering an incentive on the purchase of a non hybrid RX. We broke even but if it were not for the incentives and tax credits and timing on the purchase of the replacement vehicle, overall I would have lost my shirt. When I ran the numbers on the purchase of another RX hybrid I would have recovered the difference in cost if I kept the vehicle from 7 to 9 years if my wife was still driving the same route in South Florida. That was without considering the cost of replacing the traction battery.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

said by Mr Matt:

When I ran the numbers on the purchase of another RX hybrid I would have recovered the difference in cost if I kept the vehicle from 7 to 9 years if my wife was still driving the same route in South Florida.

You have put a lot of careful thought into all this.

What gets me are another sort that go overboard trying to analyze break-even points based on fuel economy, trying to 'prove' a vehicle like the RX hybrid a bad decision.

People routinely purchase less efficient larger engined versions of non-hybrid vehicles based on a desire for more power. This isn't wrong, it is just a choice. One can't calculate a number like fuel economy to 'justify' the decision.

In your case, you got better fuel economy + a significant power upgrade from your RX400h. Not having to refill the tank as often wins in my eyes too.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

What gets me are another sort that go overboard trying to analyze break-even points based on fuel economy, trying to 'prove' a vehicle like the RX hybrid a bad decision.

Hope you don't think I am one of then! There are certainly a lot of factors as you mentioned.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Given the research you are doing, I am sure you will be happy with your final decision.

If you want to throw another variable in, there is also the Plug-in Prius. Smaller electric-only range (subsequent driving is hybrid) than the others you mentioned, but with a lower price (starts at 32 k).

Pros are far better gasoline fuel economy than the Volt, lower price and a shorter charge time. The tradeoff is a smaller battery capacity.

»www.toyota.com/prius-plug-in/