uniqs

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger

Premium Member

[TWC] Forced to switch to Time Warner--in CA-San Gabriel Valley

In a little less than three weeks I am being forced to move to an apartment complex that is cable ready hardwired for Time Warner Cable. If you want Internet, or cable TV you have to get TW.

I’ve read the Time Warner website and have some questions.

1. When I call them up on the phone to talk to someone about setting up either Internet only, (likely choice) or Internet and cable package will I get someone in the United States? I despise dealing with reps outside of the United States AND that English is their second language.

2. On their web sites they appear to have various options that all are guaranteed at the price shown. However, at the end of 12 months unless I do something the price reverts to straight retail that is dramatically higher—especially ridiculous IMO regarding their cable Internet. The website however, at the end of 12 months instead of doing nothing I should contact my local Time Warner Office to see what promotions are available to me. That suggests I won’t be charged the higher price. But what’s the reality. Will I pay the high retail or closer to the retail price than the 12-month promotional price?

3. Whether I choose the Internet only, (likely), or a TV and Internet combo obviously someone I have to get a modem and TV remote/cable box. Does someone come out and deliver and check service or do they just mail the stuff to me and I set it up. If they come out is there a charge for that? How much?
I move in on December 3rd. What can I do to ensure I have Internet sometime by December 4th at the latest?

Final issue in this plea: If I can get good OTA antenna reception then I will skip the cable for sure. But I KNOW I want the Internet. However, I can’t test the TV OTA reception until December 5th. So if it turns out OTA sucks and I want to get a package deal I would have to add the TV after the Internet and I am worried about another installation or tech visit charge.

FYI, I’m a semi-shut in so Internet and TV in that order is a must—the Internet is a must.

ADDENDUM: The real pain in the neck is I’m only moving 1.1 miles in the same town and the whole town and several surrounding towns all have access to a local broadband Internet, Cable, Phone provider at kick ass prices, service and performance. I’ve been using it for 12 years. But they are locked out of the Apartment complex I’m moving to because of the TW exclusive deal that TW somehow got.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Re: [TWC] Forced to switch to Time Warner--in CA-San Gabriel Val

Have you called and talked to the company?

Hob

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

1 edit

Blogger

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

1. When I call them up on the phone to talk to someone about setting up either Internet only, (likely choice) or Internet and cable package will I get someone in the United States? I despise dealing with reps outside of the United States AND that English is their second language

A reasonable question. And I most definitely will. I will also ask them all of the questions I've raised in my post. However, I'm seeking feedback from real folks that have had real experience with them.

All though I'm interested in all the things I mentioned in my post I would like to know the answer to my first question.

The thing is I've done enough online research to know that I can't trust what they will say to me. That is without a doubt.

That doesn't mean that they won't deliver what they say but their performance varies dramatically by areas, towns, regions, etc.

I don't know how they do in my area--the local provider I mentioned and other options not available to me because of the complex I'm moving in means its TW.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

In my area, whenever I've called in as long as it's during business hours and monday thru saturday, I've always talked to reps in Texas. If you call after hours or sunday you get the national desk which could be anybody from anywhere.

btB
@rr.com

btB to Blogger

Anon

to Blogger
I say get dsl because you obviously do not trust Time Warner. Seriously, the physical location of the sales rep is so important that you have to spend time researching this?

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY

TrainBuff to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ome.html
You may also want to check out their website.
Like Hob wrote, call!

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo

Anon

I'm in the San Gabriel Valley too. My complex is wired for both Time Warner and Champion Broadband and several others in the area are the same. Even if the place is wired for Time Warner, Champion may be able to run a new line on the outside and use existing wiring inside.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

Blogger to btB

Premium Member

to btB
said by btB :

I say get dsl because you obviously do not trust Time Warner. Seriously, the physical location of the sales rep is so important that you have to spend time researching this?

I speak only English. I also have a bit of a hearing problem. So, yes I like to talk to someone that I can understand because they speak fluent and conversational English, speak slowly, and speak up just a bit too. Plus you would be surprised what a help it is if they can fully understand me. You would be amazed how that enhances and optimizes communication both in terms of comfort and accuracy of understanding by both parties. Then of course, the USA like every country has its own unique national culture and societal footprint as do all other countries. Talking to someone that is in the US and was raised or in the US or as been here for quite some times enhances communication. Then of course I live in Southern California and it is advantageous if someone has some idea or understanding about the area I live in. It's hard to find someone in Manilla or Mumbai that "gets it" no matter how genuine they might be in their efforts.

Then you may have noticed that my issue about the location of the rep, both sales and by inference tech support should one have a problem was just one small part of "researching" Time Warner Communications.

DSL in my area is not a practical solution as the local telco of which all DSL providers have to use has serious problems accommodating DSL. They are actually on the road to if not officially then functionally ceasing to provide necessary access.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
As far as I know, all of Time Warner’s call centers are in the United States. I’ve never talked to anyone who had any sort of accent. As a Signature Home subscriber, all of my calls are automatically routed to a call center in North Carolina. Years ago when I called in for something, one of the reps even recognized my name from this site. I know for a fact main Time Warner office in Rochester, NY there are two call centers. The downstairs is Billing and I believe the upstairs is Sales.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to Blogger

to Blogger
Sighome customers have a different number than regular customers, and their calls aren't supposed to leave that Sighome department unless in special circumstances.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Blogger

to Blogger
said by Blogger:

ADDENDUM: The real pain in the neck is I’m only moving 1.1 miles in the same town and the whole town and several surrounding towns all have access to a local broadband Internet, Cable, Phone provider at kick ass prices, service and performance. I’ve been using it for 12 years. But they are locked out of the Apartment complex I’m moving to because of the TW exclusive deal that TW somehow got.

So my (stupid & rhetorical) question of the day is - why did you choose to move to that particular complex that ONLY has TWC???
Is this the ONLY available complex you could find in this whole area???

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

Blogger to Vertigo

Premium Member

to Vertigo
Yes, good thinking. I checked and they can't. It's a TW or nothing. The very large special complex open only to certain peoples has some deal with TW. All of the apartments are prewired and cable ready. I would speculate TW made the exclusive deal in exchange for wiring up all the apartments to be cable ready.

So at least logistically getting service should be easy. For the Internet all I need is a modem. Presumably they just "throw the switch at their end to make the connection "hot" in my apartment once I set up account with them. I hoping that I'm going to get OTA decent reception as I really can't afford cable TV. OTA is bad as we are too CLOSE to the mountains upon which at the top sits every frigging transmitter for everything broadcast over the air in the greater Los Angeles basin.

It's too bad I can't just transfer Champion. Except for some rough times during a year or so after an ownership change Champion or Altrio as they were known about 12 years ago when they started from the ground up have been outstanding for Internet and cable service at great prices with good CS.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Is this type of setup even legal? I don't think they can ban satellite dishes.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

Blogger

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

Is this type of setup even legal? I don't think they can ban satellite dishes.

I don't know the status of satellite dishes. They might be allowed, and may even be common. Functionally its a non-issue for me as I can't afford cable TV let alone satellite. However if you want cable it has to be TW.

Why do you think I am concerned about OTA reception?
mdurkin
join:1999-08-11
San Bruno, CA

mdurkin to Blogger

to Blogger
The FCC banned exclusive contracts in residential MDUs and it was affirmed by the DC Circuit court of appeals. I'm pretty sure it's still law of the land if you want to press for another provider.

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· e-deals/

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
said by Blogger:

I checked and they can't. It's a TW or nothing.

I've never had a choice of cable companies.

OTA is bad as we are too CLOSE to the mountains upon which at the top sits every frigging transmitter for everything broadcast over the air in the greater Los Angeles basin.

We don't get OTA at my location in the Santa Clarita Valley either. Buy the TWC "broadcast" basic TV package for less than $20 per month. You'll be able to tune the HD locals in via clearQAM (at least until they kill it, but then we should be entitled to a cable box).

It's too bad I can't just transfer Champion.

TWC isn't the end of the world.

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo

Anon

Having had Champion Broadband and Time Warner I can tell you that Time Warner internet is much faster as they don't cap data speeds. With Champion, having a 10 MBps Internet plan gets you 6-9 typically and 4-5 in peak times. The equivalent Time Warner plan will get you 12-17, depending on the location and wiring. Champion has fewer outages but feels much slower. I was actually going to switch to Time Warner and found that basic cable and internet would cost about $70/month and more if you wanted boxes.
WarMachine98
join:2012-11-13
Pleasant Prairie, WI

WarMachine98 to djrobx

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

Buy the TWC "broadcast" basic TV package for less than $20 per month.

$20? Really? Since when? I told TWC where to go when they sent me a letter saying that they were bumping the price for the basic TV package from $99 to $130. And that was for no internet connection at all!
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
I know for a fact that TWC outsources regular customer service, sales, and support to a company with branches in Canada, India, Costa Rica and more.
NightOwl2

NightOwl2 to WarMachine98

to WarMachine98
Broadcast basic is a very limited number of channels, locals, a few home shopping networks, and foreign language, at least in NYC. Generally up to around channel 25. The $20.00 price varies by area. Your *basic* TV package probably was a digital service, with channels up to 99.
WarMachine98
join:2012-11-13
Pleasant Prairie, WI

WarMachine98

said by NightOwl2:

Broadcast basic is a very limited number of channels, locals, a few home shopping networks, and foreign language, at least in NYC. Generally up to around channel 25. The $20.00 price varies by area. Your *basic* TV package probably was a digital service, with channels up to 99.

Nope. I had 2-26 and that was it. The digital pack required a box that they wanted $14 a month for, and that was on top of the $185 a month for that package back when I had it. TWC=No Thanks for me.