spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16

Outage in Indiana on November 14th 2012

Around 11:30 EST I lost service on everything, but was still able to send out packets and receive them, so a few things still worked. I called Century Link and they said it was due to an outage in all of Indiana.

Anyone else get it?

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

Same thing happened here. Could access maybe 30% of the sites I normally visit. It actually did this the night before also, but for a much shorter period of time.

Leviathan

join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Mediacom
reply to EmoHobo

No outages here in northern indiana. Just a constant extreme bandwidth exhaustion. Horrifically worse during peak hours. According to their tech support, there are no plans for upgrades of any kind because it wouldn't be cost effective. Just mind boggling how they can't provide enough bandwidth for the current demand and then go and offer Prism TV service on a network that can't even handle internet and phone service. I'll never understand the logic they use.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

It seems to be happening again. Just started at the time of this post.

ydoucare

Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by EmoHobo:

It seems to be happening again. Just started at the time of this post.

Same here!

EmoHobo

I don't know you, but for the past year or two, you and I seem to always have the same issues.

You're like my brother in arms! Here's hoping for a speed solution.

LFHC

join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA
reply to Leviathan

the logic they use is make as much money as possible before they upgrade an area and sometimes they never do then half the customers have switched to cable if possible by then.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Having issues right now as of this very moment, hopefully I can get this message off.

ydoucare

Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by EmoHobo:

Having issues right now as of this very moment, hopefully I can get this message off.

Same here! Again!

EmoHobo

I always hate this becuase for some random amount of time I can't access what seems like random websites around the net, for example right now I can't visit

www.gamefaqs.com
»www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
www.xbox.com

I just get server not found and it always happens after one of these outages.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.

join:2006-07-23

said by EmoHobo:

I always hate this becuase for some random amount of time I can't access what seems like random websites around the net, for example right now I can't visit

www.gamefaqs.com
»www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
www.xbox.com

I just get server not found and it always happens after one of these outages.

Same thing just happened to me---at first it started with me losing connection to everything (not caused by my line our modem), but same thing now that the local connection has stabilized--random websites don't work.

Did a tracert and pings are ok for speakeasy.net up to a point, then they just drop off, so it seems we're experiencing the same, exact thing.

I'm guessing either they're having issues, or they're picking very poor times to work on routers/DNS/switches/etc.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

It's really annoying because it seems like things i use the most are the ones not working, MSN messenger is not working as well.

Edit: I can't even update my antivirus right now, how annoying.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Can someone call Century Link and mention the problems in the area? My phone is shut off so I am currently unable to do so and that's usually how I get information on this stuff.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

All websites seem to be working again.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.

join:2006-07-23

said by EmoHobo:

All websites seem to be working again.

Same here--everything has returned to normal.

ydoucare

Lafayette, IN
reply to EmoHobo

Even a couple days prior to the outage, things weren't quite right. I was getting pretty decent packet loss on certain routes (to google, for example), others were perfectly normal.

Leviathan

join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN
reply to EmoHobo

Outage happened here in Marshall County a couple nights ago. Called them from my cell phone was told it was due to routine maintenance.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Just returned from an outage myself, hopefully I stay connected now.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Connection has been on and off all day.

EmoHobo

1 edit
reply to EmoHobo

Ever since the outage, I'm getting disconnected at least once a day and from 5 pm to 11 pm my internet is all but useless, due to frequent packet loss and reduction of speed.

Clearly something is wrong in my area ever since that outage and I hope they are aware of the problem as when the initial outage happened I called them about it and they said they knew there was a problem in the area and that is what caused the outage.

Edit: I don't know what is going on, but even though it usually has gotten better by this time, it's actually slower then dial up at this point and by that I mean below 64kbps.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

I thought they fixed the Bandwidth exhaust in my area, but clearly it's back again and it's so hard to convince them that there is actually an issue in the area, it took almost a year last time, I don't know if I can do that again.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Had an outage about an hour ago, it lasted about only about ten minutes, I just wanted to see if anyone else suffered it.

ydoucare

Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by EmoHobo:

Had an outage about an hour ago, it lasted about only about ten minutes, I just wanted to see if anyone else suffered it.

No outage here in Rensselaer, IN.

EmoHobo

Thank you

beakerman

join:2001-02-11
Cottage Grove, MN
reply to EmoHobo

Next time you experience a suspected outage, try adjusting your DNS to OpenDNS or Google Public DNS.

I bet some of your outages are actually DNS outages rather than line outages. I had similar outages on Qwest and Comcast until I switched my DNS.

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Had another one around midnight to 2 am.

dgoner
Premium
join:2002-03-08
Knox, IN
reply to EmoHobo

I noticed an outage around midnight. Hopefully this is the long overdue upgrades in Northern Indiana. I'm noticing today I'm pulling IP's from a completely different range (184.xxx.xxx.xxx) and that my gateway IP has changed. We'll see how well service is after 6 or 7 PM tonight...

dgoner
Premium
join:2002-03-08
Knox, IN
reply to EmoHobo

Haven't seen speeds this good after all the kids in the area get home from school in a while... Dare I say they are adding capacity?

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Just had a disconnection that last about a half hour, the entire time I was on hold trying to get ahold of tech support.

EmoHobo

1 edit
reply to EmoHobo

Tonight Century Link is nothing but trouble, I don't know if it's DNS problems or what but I can pretty much only connect to IRC and Google, by some miracle I managed to get on here.

Just got off the phone with them and they said they have someone working on the lines so that it's an outage in my area, I wish they'd announce these middle of the night services and how do we have these like once a week but the service never improves?