Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

1 edit

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Iphone 4: Why wont it stay connected to wifi?

I just got my first Iphone, which happens to be the 4.
Anyhow, I notice that with the cellular on [for receiving/sending e-mails, web surfing, etc], the 4 wont stay connected, or remember my home wifi.

But when I turn cellular off, it will stay connected to wifi.

Is there any other way to make the phone use wifi [if it's available] then using cellular?
Without having to jump into settings all the time and switching cellular off and selecting the wifi network?
*edit: forgot to mention IOS version, my apologies. 6.0.1

**edit: Looks like Apple is aware of the problem and pushed out a patch. But this is for the Iphone5. I wonder if it will hit the Iphone4 [the patch].
»money.cnn.com/2012/10/01 ··· dex.html

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

iOS 6 and WiFi doesn't work very well.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
I thought that's what IOS 6.0.1 was supposed to fix.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

It helps but it's still pretty garbage.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I went to a verizon store and mentioned this issue. It was a waste of time:
"I never heard of that problem concerning the Iphone"
And
"We are only allowed to do tier 1 support on Apple devices. Anything else and you'll need to call Apple or go to an Apple store"*

*My thoughts*
If you can't support it, then why do you sell it. They are so eager to assist you in signing up to plans and buying expensive phones, but for actually service, not so much.

Ok, so we'll just leave the cellular off, and wait for a "fix'. *sigh* lol.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Ultimately, it IS Apple's firmware and Apple's device, you SHOULD go to Apple for support (Verizon just sells you the phone plan/connectivity).

(I had a similar experience with my first iPhone 3G when the wifi on it completely died. Went to AT&T first since that's where we bought but should have saved myself the trip and set up an appointment at the Apple store right off).

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I went to a verizon store and mentioned this issue. It was a waste of time:
"I never heard of that problem concerning the Iphone"
And
"We are only allowed to do tier 1 support on Apple devices. Anything else and you'll need to call Apple or go to an Apple store"*

*My thoughts*
If you can't support it, then why do you sell it. They are so eager to assist you in signing up to plans and buying expensive phones, but for actually service, not so much.

Ok, so we'll just leave the cellular off, and wait for a "fix'. *sigh* lol.

just keep in mind visual voicemail and picture messaging will not work with cellular data off.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
I just don't want to drive to the local apple store. It's about 45 minutes to an hour away.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

I just don't want to drive to the local apple store. It's about 45 minutes to an hour away.

Mine's an hour+. You might not want to but if you want support for an Apple product, that's what you have to do. Verizon just isn't equipped to support Apple products.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

One person at the Verizon store recommend resetting to factory.

I know that "wipes" the device [no big deal as I have the phone profile saved on Itunes], but will that also wipe the IOS back to what it shipped with? Then when I resync with Itunes will the IOS remain what it was shipped with, or will it go to IOS6?

Because if synching wont effect the restoring of the IOS to 5, then I'll be willing to try that.
Do a factory reset, then resynching with itunes. Because, I think with the original IOS on it, it did stay connected to wifi.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

When you restore an iDevice, it will only restore to the latest available iOS version (e.g. iOS 6.0.1 currently). Only (previously? currently?) jailbroken devices can be restored to earlier firmware versions.

There is no "factory reset" as such (e.g. to whatever firmware version the device shipped with). You will not be able to restore to iOS 5.x.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Crap. Curses, why oh why did I ever upgrade the IOS?
Why oh why did I trust Apple?

WAAAAAAAAA.....

*chuckles* Wasn't there a thread here just recently talking about why Apple can charge what they charge because the quality of their hardware and software is so superior?
Hmm.. I think Apple Maps, Siri, and IOS 6 kind put a few rust spots on that reputation.

*Note: The above is said with tongue in cheek, a twist of jest, and sarcasm. No need to get upset.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

No need to get upset.

:)

I know what you mean, though. I didn't want to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.0.1 even, because if/when a jailbreak comes out, it sounds like it will most likely be for 6.0; however, the "no sim" issue made upgrading a no-brainer

.0 releases are typically problematic with just about every software I have ever used. But I will say this, that in my case, Siri, dictation, and turn-by-turn driving have all been GREAT for me. Getting the iPhone 5 (with iOS 6 and its annoyances) has been a huge improvement over the iPhone 4.

(I will also say that I have better wifi on my iPad 2 with iOS 6.0.1 than I do on my iPhone 5, for whatever reason)

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Our phones have IOS 6.0.1 [I was lazy and just put 6 down].
My wife said the 4s would have been 100 bucks each, and the 5 would have been 200 dollars [and I wouldn't have a smart phone, I'd still be using my pre-paid T mobile phone. Dang, I've been a T-mo customer for over 10 years, and now I'm not . Though my kids have T-mo pre-paid phones]

I think the data plan would have been the same, maybe cheaper if she got the 5 and it was just her. Currently we are sharing 1GB plan, as she signed us up, I'm not sure how much it is. Just that her company pays for part of it, then she gets the employer discount.
She went with 1 GB, because in the last 5 years she has used about 400MB per year on her blackberry.

As I am used to going without data, or just using wifi hot spots, I'm fine with it.
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7 to Mike

to Mike
I have no problem with iOS6 and my iPhone 4 using wifi. I easily pickup and keep a wifi connection.