share rss forum feed

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Blizz: authenticator lawsuit "patently" false

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Snakeoil:

So people with smart phones/smart devices get a free ride, while others have to pay?

Sure, why not. We could also sue because people who already own computers get "a free ride" to play WoW, but others have to buy their own computers.

i dont think that was Snake's argument at all. but lets not forget $6.40 is less than $50 and thats if you start a new 2 yr agreement with a telecom for the discounted price of the phone, plus the price of the data plan every month to have a smartphone...

time to gank some lawyers IRL...
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Beardsley
said by Beardsley:

Can you replace the battery in the authenticator? Mines taking a few presses these days before the code comes up so I think the battery is on its way out. If I can't replace the battery I'll need to buy a replacement fob.

That would likely reset the clock (at best) in it rendering all of its codes invalid, or if the programing is stored in ram instead of rom then it could lose the programing.

If you want to test it I'd suggest first remove it from your account
next replace the battery
then re-add it

as you have to provide 2 codes and the serial I'd hope that the new codes would tell bnet the time in the auth effectively.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Beardsley
I think that would cause it to be "disabled".

I'd replace it before it dies, from what I read, it sounds like a hassle to get it removed from the account, so you can add a new one.

This link shows the inside of the authenticator:

»midnightsyndicate.eu/forum/read/2576

I'm thinking the software is wiped once the battery is removed, hence why no battery replacement.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Beardsley

join:2008-11-27
reply to Krisnatharok
Can you replace the battery in the authenticator? Mines taking a few presses these days before the code comes up so I think the battery is on its way out. If I can't replace the battery I'll need to buy a replacement fob.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Krisnatharok
I seldom travel with a computer, so playing wow on the road isn't an option for me.
Meaning I lack a laptop, or even if I had a laptop the places I tend to go the most lack Internet connection. My dad has no use for it, and my in-laws only have a wired router, that my father in law wont share. Though maybe this year, I can convince my wife to buy them a wireless router.

So no need to play wow on the road.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

*My kids have a friend who was playing wow. He broke his phone, so "lost" his software authenticator. I've offered to help him with blizz tech support so he could get back in the game, but he said it's to late, that his game time expired.

I know the key fob can get misplaced and the battery die, but I like it vs the software app. Mainly because I can leave it at home on my desk, and not give it a second thought until needed. where as with the software one, if I leave my phone somewhere, there goes the authenticator as well.

I opted for the Android one. I have no idea how long the battery in the fob will last (it still works after 2-3 years), but I *always* have my phone on me, whereas I have been on travel before and forgot the key fob, so it's one less thing to worry about.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

So people with smart phones/smart devices get a free ride, while others have to pay?

Sure, why not. We could also sue because people who already own computers get "a free ride" to play WoW, but others have to buy their own computers.

I don't view that as a valid objection--if you already own the hardware, you get the software for free. Or you can purchase a standalone key fob for about two week's worth of subscription time.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok
From you link:
quote:
As we pointed out when the lawsuit was first revealed, Blizzard offers free apps for smartphones that can be used to authenticate the user's credentials when prompted – the physical $6.40 version is merely an optional accessory for those who can't/won't use the apps.

I think that is what the complaint is about.
Though I think $6.40 maybe just enough to cover the cost of the authenticator, though I'm not sure. If there is any profit in that price, it might be a very low one.
$6.40 for a one time hit, isn't going to break the bank either. If anything, you give up a fast food meal. No biggie.

In the end, my opinion is, just another attempt at a cash grab by a group of lawyers that found "upset" customers willing to go ahead with the possibility of getting a few pennies. While the lawyers rake in the dough.

*My kids have a friend who was playing wow. He broke his phone, so "lost" his software authenticator. I've offered to help him with blizz tech support so he could get back in the game, but he said it's to late, that his game time expired.
I know the key fob can get misplaced and the battery die, but I like it vs the software app. Mainly because I can leave it at home on my desk, and not give it a second thought until needed. where as with the software one, if I leave my phone somewhere, there goes the authenticator as well.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit