how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04
reply to Grappler

Re: GTA is Full of Them - Another "My Rights Are More Impor

Nah, it's an interesting question. If a bull wants a man's haircut, why shouldn't she be able to get one? What's the difference? She is protected from discrimination based on gender and gender identity, unless reasonable. And where that collides with religous freedom, it becomes a real stumper.

I think it's a good question for the tribunal. I disagree, though, that this one barber should be paying these legal fees. Those should be paid for by the province -- it's a social issue. He shouldn't be out thousands of dollars just because he lost the lottery.

hm

@videotron.ca

Maybe a simple way around this would be that women would need to make an appointment, then he can get some student barber in at the time arrange and then be forced to pay the minimum 4-hr salary (or is it 3 in toronto). But then her hair cut would cost 5x that of a mans haircut and women only would require an appointment. But, if that's what she wants, then she should pay through the nose for it.

Yeah, a sticky one. I think what he offered was good enough and showed good faith as is. What does she expect them to do? Hire someone else just for her? Or should they just disregard what they believe?

I'd be interested as well to see the outcome of this.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to dragonfly

said by dragonfly:

Nah, it's an interesting question. If a bull wants a man's haircut, why shouldn't she be able to get one?

I'm sure she can... somewhere else. If a place has a business owner or employee that won't serve someone, simply go somewhere else. When I receive rude service, I take my business elsewhere; I don't make a big stink about it or go to some 'rights' tribunal.

Hah, I figured it was a bunch of Italian barbers until I clicked on the link and saw it was people of the Islamic faith.

Nevermind their religious faith, I support any business owner that doesn't want to serve someone for whatever reason. A business owner has rights as well. What tribunal does our society offer to them, to cost others money?

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04

People need to stick up for their rights, otherwise they wouldn't have any. It's messy and inconvenient but necessary.

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

Nevermind their religious faith, I support any business owner that doesn't want to serve someone for whatever reason. A business owner has rights as well. What tribunal does our society offer to them, to cost others money?

A business owner does not have the right to discriminate in the offering of services on the basis of certain prohibited grounds, including gender.

However, in this case I don't see it as a matter of discrimination on the basis of gender, rather discrimination against the business owner on the basis of religion -- an equally protected right.

I believe she is being unreasonable, and may need to find a hobby.

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

said by NCRGuy:

A business owner does not have the right to discriminate in the offering of services on the basis of certain prohibited grounds, including gender.

Wish the same would be said for Goodlife Fitness for Women. Or Curves.

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by camelot:

said by NCRGuy:

Wish the same would be said for Goodlife Fitness for Women. Or Curves.

Both arguably permissible under the Human Rights Code.