uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
reply to cowspotter

Re: Electric Vehicle Charging Station

I wonder how many kWh it takes to charge a car and how that compares to buying gasoline? Reason I ask is our electric costs around $0.25 a kWh when you add in all the fees and taxes. I'm told in western NY the rate is around $0.49. Not sure though.

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2

I should have a better idea of charging statistics when my 240v charger is installed, but a rough idea is:

120v charger
12a
1440w = 1.4kw
8 hours to fully charge
11.2 kwh

Our effective rate is $0.128/kwh so $1.43 per full charge. A full charge gets me around 40 miles. These numbers may be a little off since this isn't based on calculated usage but it should be close.

tedmarshall

join:2000-12-02

1 recommendation

reply to Grumpy

said by Grumpy:

I wonder how many kWh it takes to charge a car and how that compares to buying gasoline? Reason I ask is our electric costs around $0.25 a kWh when you add in all the fees and taxes. I'm told in western NY the rate is around $0.49. Not sure though.

The Leaf runs about 3.5 miles/KWh, depending on weather, speed, driving style, etc, and including charging loss at 240V. If you're really paying $0.49/KWh (which is quite high), you'll run around $0.14/mile or the equivalent of $4.90 gas in a 35 MPG car. Still not bad, especially when you add the lack of maintenance costs on an EV.