All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bcsman
join:2010-09-07
Capac, MI

bcsman

[DSL] Reset my 7500, now in Routed Bridge mode??

I had to factory reset my 7500 because I lost my password to change some settings. Everything is done and new login info is good now. Internet is working fine but I noticed when looking at the main panel I am now in Routed Bridge mode. It seems before I was PPPoE. Internet speeds are the same as before. Is there any reason I cant change back to that or has Frontier changed something from their end? I dont have a separate router and modem, just using my 7500 for both. Are there any limitations for me being in that mode or should I try to change back to PPPoE? I would like to change firewall settings and setup a couple Port Forwarding numbers. Thanks...
bcsman

bcsman

Checked my mother's 7500 modem also. It was set for PPPoE, figured I would try a reset on it also and after it came up reading Routed Bridge. Apparantly Frontier is changing their mode of operation at this location.

Can I change these back to PPPoE or should I just leave well enough alone?? Seems like everything is working OK except my mother's modem now changed from 3M to 1.5M down. Mine stayed at 3M down. With all I have read about trying to get re-provisioned I may not worry about it.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to bcsman

MVM

to bcsman
It may be possible your area is a DHCP area and a PPPoE area. It's not uncommon to see that in use considering some of Frontier's legacy areas are PPPoA and PPPoE. I'm in one of those areas and can switch between them at will.

When the modem went into Routed Bridge mode, it never asked for a password but yet got an IP address, correct? I don't remember hearing of Frontier having OpenPPPoE or a default login profile to use for activating modems like Verizon did, but I know many of Verizon's territories that were sold to Frontier did originally use DHCP.

So in short, use what you'd like. Whichever works for you.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

Our area was the same as Smith described, we where originally PPPoA, then PPPoE was introduced about a year ago. I could switch back and forth between the two. But I have been playing with a 7500 and 7550 the last couple days when I let the modems self detect the network configuration and PPPoA was no longer detected as being available, but several bridge configurations were detected. So will be see the same as you in the near future? Only time will tell, but if it does I will be sure to report it to the forum.

Can anyone from Frontier have information that they can share?
bcsman
Capac, MI

bcsman

Smith and Hank,
Thanks for the replies, yes when both mine and my mothers modem were reset they detected the Routed Bridge mode without needing a login. I just checked my 7500 configuration page and under protocol I can select PPPoA, PPPoE, and Bridge. Then under the bridge mode drop down I have either Bridge or Routed Bridge. So looks like at this time I can select any of the options. Everything seems to be working just fine with the Routed Bridge so will probably stay as it is, but the default firewall setting is none and I previously selected High. With that setting I had to configure a couple Port Forwarding holes or I they were blocked. I thought I read where Port Forwarding did not work under bridge mode, is that correct does anyone know??

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Bridged > Bridged is where that breakdown is. You should be able to port forward just fine in Routed Bridge mode if the modem is holding the Public IP. The breakdown with port forwarding is often with the Firewall set to high where in a traditional sense, your port forwarding rules are ignored.

I don't have the ability to use DHCP in my area so I wouldn't know this answer.
bcsman
Capac, MI

bcsman

OK thanks smith, will try to setup the port forwarding along with the firewall a little later. I will let you know if it works.
bcsman

bcsman

Well finally got around to it and looks like setting up Port Forwarding works in the Routed Bridge mode. The added profiles are showing up and appear to be working. Just thought I would let you know how it worked.

Also by the way my firewall is set to medium.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Very good news.

jhb1608
@50.120.222.x

jhb1608 to bcsman

Anon

to bcsman
I tried to reset my Frontier Netgear 7500, no access in wireless. I am on my Macbook Air. I tried password1 and I had to reset 3 times and still the same results, that even sucks. o.O. I liked that modem until I reset. I went back to my old Gigaset SX762 because I cannot use the newer one . Help?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

The default key for the router is often found on the sticker on the underside of the router. Take a look there. If not, if you have another machine you can wire up with or if you have the Ethernet dongle for the MacBook air, wire up and log into »192.168.1.1/ using the username and password of:

admin/password
admin/admin

... and either use the default key as seen in the GUI or set your own with WPA2 security.

jhb1608
@50.120.222.x

jhb1608

Anon

Solved! Thanks!

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

You're welcome!

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

will put modem into bridge mode change speed of internet or could it
cool88

cool88

Anon

and what does bridge mode do

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

Go to the Verizon web site and download the 7500 Users Guide. It is explained on page 76 of that manual.

Here is the link:

»www22.verizon.com/Suppor ··· 9175.htm

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

thanks for that it help hank and hopefully i can get out of frontier dsl because the cable company is extending and when they get done i should beable to get 12,20,or 50mbps thought the cable company and to smithy read your review i hope u get out of high lantency frontier

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

You're welcome. I sure wish we had an option but that is part of the benefits of living in the boonies.

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

well i think the cable company would not be expanding if frontier did not do upgrades here but they are so the cable company expand there services i might try one of frontiers new plans or go to the cable company just depends on which company seems like they will hold good speeds compared to what the speed can get up to on both download and upload and latency to play good on xbox while 2 or 3 computers or on

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to cool88

MVM

to cool88
said by cool88 :

...and to smithy read your review i hope u get out of high lantency frontier

Glad you noticed. It is true, I will most likely be leaving Frontier in a few months time. No, I'm not waiting on a contract to expire. I've been off contract for 6 years. I'm also not leaving them due to latency. Latency with them is pretty good to most places I'd say. Routing isn't always ideal but it's done on cost and most DCs peer where Frontier is peering.
slimtim
join:2002-12-12
Cleveland, TN

slimtim

Smith6612,

If your leaving..which greener pasture you looking at?
Inquiring minds want to know..
-TimJ

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

4 edits

Smith6612

MVM

said by slimtim:

Smith6612,

If your leaving..which greener pasture you looking at?
Inquiring minds want to know..
-TimJ

The greener pasture is Fiber or DOCSIS service for both of the DSL connections I have (one will remain in service). Fiber is anticipated to be arriving very soon, whenever the company who started their build-out towards where I am decides to finish it up. DOCSIS service has improved a ton since it was available before the days of Frontier DSL (back when I still used dial-up), and it has some better value to it these days minus some annoying fees which can be worked around. Plus some outstanding issues with Frontier that they have been very slow to address are making me leave.