uniqs
gavind
join:2012-11-15
North York, ON

2 edits

gavind

Milton - should I go with Teksavvy DSP?

Hey Guys,

will be moving to Milton soon, and wanted to sign up with Teksavvy DSL (6mbps), since they do not have cable at my address.

I don't want to get cable but a good internet package with Netflix. I also work from home at times, and need to VPN into the office.
Is DSL with Teksavvy better than cable with bell or cogeco - hoping to save a few bucks here. Teksavvy doesn't have cable in the area i was look at.

Thanks!

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

If you do want cable Start Communications www.start.ca can hook you up in Cogecoland.

DSL can be more stable than cable but this is more based on experience than fact. Some users can swear the other way around and I would believe them. If you work from home you should probably weigh upload speed too as part of whatever package you select.

eugeneo
@jdc.hu

eugeneo to gavind

Anon

to gavind
»Standard Broadband

I currently have standard broadband, I will recommend you get it.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to gavind

to gavind
I do work VPN with the Cisco client over my Teksavvy 6M DSL connection without any trouble. It's actually faster than working at my real office.
gavind
North York, ON

1 edit

gavind to eugeneo

to eugeneo
Thanks! Their installation fee ($199) is quite high.
gavind

gavind to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Would you know if netflix is quick over DSL compared to cable?
gavind

gavind to creed3020

to creed3020
Would you know if Start is reliable?
gavind

gavind

Has anyone had any experience with Netfox?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to gavind

Premium Member

to gavind
said by gavind:

Would you know if Start is reliable?

Very reliable. Couldn't be happier.

(Well, I could - they could offer 55 )
gavind
North York, ON

gavind

Do you have cable or DSL?
Any chance you use netflix as well?

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34 to gavind

to gavind
I would also vouch for the quality of Start's lower-speed DSL services. Top notch customer service too. BTW, my DSL plan with Start had an Activation Fee of $0, versus $50 from some others. Going faster than 6M DSL gets you into higher fees. Of course, achievable DSL speeds depend upon your line conditions, and DISTANCES to connection points.

I had Netflix for a couple months on 6M DSL, with another provider, and it worked fine. I can't remember what "quality" I was watching, certainly never HiDef, but I was watching mainly old shows anyway, many in B&W. And I believe that was before Netflix 'adjusted' their quality levels for Canada.

As others have mentioned, you should be able to get Start Cable Internet, on Cogeco's lines. Go to start.ca and plunk in your postal code to see your options.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to gavind

Premium Member

to gavind
said by gavind:

Do you have cable or DSL?
Any chance you use netflix as well?

I use cable, and Start are the only guys who offer cable over Cogeco's entire Ontario footprint so you will have no problem getting it in Milton. I don't use Netflix, but can easily pull 3.75MB/s off Usenet using their 30/2 service at any given time of day.
gavind
North York, ON

gavind

Since I am on a budget, would Cable 4mbps be better than DSL 6mbps for Netflix and VPN into the office?