uniqs
share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

[iPad] Card Reader compatible with iPad Camera Connection Kit

I bought the CCK yesterday and hooked it to my iPad 2 (16 GB, Wi-Fi model, running iOS 6.0.1). I was able to connect my camera to the USB widget and import pictures and I can also insert an SD card into the SD widget and import from that. However, when I tried connecting a memory card reader (so as to be able to handle non-SD cards) to the USB widget, I received the dreaded "device is drawing too much current" message. There was no card inserted into the reader at the time, so the excess current was apparently being drawn by the reader itself.

From what I have read online, this problem has come-and-gone, depending on the version of iOS, so I cannot say whether the reader would have worked with older versions or whether it will work with future versions.

Does anyone know of a memory card reader that will definitely work with the CCK? I called one of the local Apple Stores and the lady there said that they are only trained on the SD widget which is included with the CCK, so she had no info on which after-market devices would work.

Thanks in advance for your info.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

Re: [iPad] Card Reader compatible with iPad Camera Connection Ki

Update- I solved the problem by getting a used Acer Aspire 1 netbook- this has a built-in memory card reader and it seems to have no problems powering an external reader (for card types that the built-in reader can't handle). Unfortunately, it uses the non-elegant Windows XP operating system, but it appears that one can't have everything.