Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to Snakeoil

Re: Blizz: authenticator lawsuit "patently" false

said by Snakeoil:

From you link:

So people with smart phones/smart devices get a free ride, while others have to pay?

Actually this isn't even true since having an authenticator attached to your account is completely optional. It wasn't until recently when I wanted to transfer my guild master toon from one server to another that I've ever had a need for an authenticator. (Also on a side note Blizzard sent me a physical authenticator free of charge because of the trouble I was having with the Blackberry mobile version).

said by Snakeoil:

From you link:
My kids have a friend who was playing wow. He broke his phone, so "lost" his software authenticator. I've offered to help him with blizz tech support so he could get back in the game, but he said it's to late, that his game time expired.

I suppose this is one possible risk with having the authenticator on your phone rather than the physical device. When I was having trouble with the BB authenticator, I wasn't able to "authenticate" my account so wasn't able to login. This happened a couple of different times. It wasn't any big deal though because I'd just have the authenticator removed from my account (which can be done as long as you are setup with SMS). I'd verify it was me that wanted the authenticator removed by entering in the code they would text me. Now if your phone was completely fubar and not able to receive texts... well then you'd be stuck.

halsneb
Premium
join:2005-10-14
Osage, IA

However with the smart phone / ipod authenticators they provide you with a recovery code and serial number. This information can be used to transfer to a new authenticator on another device, I have had to do this when I did a factory reset on my phone, just make sure you have this documented somewhere.

This is one of the main reasons I use my phone now instead of the fob, if something happens I have he ability to recover my authenticator on a different device in a very short period of time.
--
"User, Noun. The word computer professionals use when they mean Idiot." -- Dave Barry