uniqs
share rss forum feed

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

Close, but no cigar...

Great there expanding there LTE footprint looks rather promising as well, however whats really the use of having 45/20 mbps on a smartphone ( this goes to Verizon as well) If Im capped, restricted with my tethering, and cant use my phone to its full potential without having to root it/ jailbreak it. Honestly showing off these high speed when our smartphones are still so limited in features is just for bragging rights.

Id rather they advertise the usage limits than there overall top speeds but who am I kidding that will never happen. Honestly whats the most data intensive app thats available? Netfix ? On average streaming a SD or HD movie to your smartphone uses around 1.5-2.5mbps. so currently you wont really use 45 for anything currently. The kicker is one SD movie stream will consume on average 500-600mb of data and one HD will use 1GB+ of data, so now your limited to only 2-4 movies before you get hit with overages ( assuming you have a 2GB plan). Most consumers have no idea of this simple logic.

Id rather they both advertise page 1 big and bold A full 4G LTE unlimited speeds package for a set price with a data cap and then on page 2 a LTE package with A speed cap (limited to 3G speed) but unlimited data and let the buyers choose which they want.

The braggers and "look what I can do" followers will choose the unlimited speed, allowing the smart and informed shopper to choose the unlimited data, we could care less if its slower just give us unlimited.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
I have unlimited on my VZ plan. I get a whopping .12mbit on my 3G link and 10-15Mbit on LTE. So, really, unlimited 3G at crummy speeds isn't overly useful.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
said by bn1221:

I have unlimited on my VZ plan. I get a whopping .12mbit on my 3G link and 10-15Mbit on LTE. So, really, unlimited 3G at crummy speeds isn't overly useful.

I feel your pain as Verizon and sprints 3G Technology was IMHO a mistake in the first place due to using EV-DO. ATT and TMO got it right with UMTS/HSPA where there 3G was and still is actually very usable. However When I quoted above, Note I tried to explain limited 3G speeds over LTE, not over the current 3G network your unfortuneatly stuck on, so in general you would be on LTE but just speed limited to 3-4 mbps (throttled) which it what they were all claiming was the theoretical speed limit of 3G. Im sure even you would be happy with that coming from that 0.12 mbit that your at now, while being able to retain your unlimited.