uniqs
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Re: GTA is Full of Them - Another "My Rights Are More Impor

said by MaynardKrebs:

The Income Tax Act gives recognized fairy tale religious believers a MORE than generous way of funding and having Neverland places of worship on backs of those who don't contribute to such endeavours. That strikes me as a more than fair 'bargain' (tradeoff of competing rights).

Your argument is based in bigotry and wildly off-topic. Your comments will likely get this thread locked.

The issue is not what YOU believe in religion. The issue is the religious freedoms of one conflicting with the gender equality of another; NOT what you believe religion is or it's funding questions.

Please stay on-topic or go hijack someone else's thread.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by camelot:

Please stay on-topic or go hijack someone else's thread.

The original story, and as a result this thread, revolve around religious belief, the practice of that belief, and the effect those beliefs have on others. That is the ultimate topic since the barber refused - on religious grounds - to cut the woman's hair.

If you want to take a side, take the side of the woman. Last I heard, Canada is comprised of about 50% women.
I would take umbrage with ANY religious group of any size and popularity whose theology treats half the members of its society with anything other than dignity, respect, and full participatory rights in that society.

Yes, minority & religious rights are important and must be respected but unless you want a country, any country, to devolve into a theocracy, then religion is best practiced at home and in places of worship.

What would your view be if this occurred:
A Jew/Protestant/Catholic walks into a Muslim barbershop, asks for a haircut, and is denied because he's an 'infidel'?
What if the 'infidel' was a woman? Does that make it any more justifiable?

And no, this isn't YOUR thread - so I really don't have to go away.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

This is like the story a while ago that some muslim cabbies would not take a passenger with a dog (no matter how small or large) because in their religion dogs are "unclean".

There's a reason that most of the muslim world is in the shape its in and the people are generally laughed at...