how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick21

join:2010-02-03
New York, NY

NYC Usage Tracker

I see my usage, I assume this is new? Just login to MyServices and click My Internet.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
I an not in NYC but mine showed up a few months ago. Had me using 161 megs of data in July and hasn't recorded me using any more since then.

Seeing the usage meter is most likely then next step before they force us to usage base billing.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to Nick21
Ouch, watch out for the low caps coming, I can smell it!!!

jojoyohan

join:2007-02-19
united state
reply to Nick21
I certainly hope they aren't planning on capping usage considering they are the only service provider I can get in my apartment.

BangBang

join:2000-07-05
Fairview, NJ
reply to Nick21
I just noticed it on mine and have to say its B*LLSH*T!!! According to the tracker I used almost 4 gig between 10/28 and 10/31. REALLY?!? I had no power due to Sandy during that timeframe!!!

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
said by BangBang:

I just noticed it on mine and have to say its B*LLSH*T!!! According to the tracker I used almost 4 gig between 10/28 and 10/31. REALLY?!? I had no power due to Sandy during that timeframe!!!

Yeah it can be very inaccurate in a sporadic fashion! Usually I'd say its pretty spot on though. Caps are crap!

iroha

join:2012-11-15
Winston Salem, NC
reply to dcurrey
Just checked and mine started last Thursday at 7 PM, coincidentally when I activated my own modem to prevent the $4 fees.

adrman
Premium
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Nick21
Mine actually appears to be pretty accurate and the first date it shows does appear to be when I activated my own modem. So far for November, I've used 7gb. I really hope they aren't planning on usage based billing. They're the only option I have in my coop. Yeah, I know, hope is only going to get me so far. (sigh)

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Nick21
Click for full size
Mine says I've used 36gb so far this month. I wonder how much is a lot.

tragik74

join:2012-10-12
Flushing, NY
reply to Nick21
im already up to 99GB already for november....

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
reply to Nick21
Mine just turned up today in TWCNY (Syracuse Div) and the day it started keeping track was the day I activated my own modem. (Last Wednesday, 5 days ago) It says I'm up to 5G usage for this month. Hmm. I really smell something in the wind.

jojoyohan

united state
reply to Nick21
Click for full size
I've got you all beat at 364 GB so far this month, which is probably accurate. I do not have my own modem so it looks like they just started to do this in November. I guess we'll find out what's going on with it soon.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
Jo, if they impose a 200GB cap per month, TWC will earn extra $164.00 @$1/GB from you.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Nick21
I'm attributing those spikes in my usage chart to nights when I uploaded some high res jpgs to a server. But I wonder, is it possible to upload 13gb of data in 1 hour with a 10/1 connection, as TWC charts indicate?

jojoyohan

united state
reply to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

Jo, if they impose a 200GB cap per month, TWC will earn extra $164.00 @$1/GB from you.

As it stands right now I'm paying for a pipe, and not a tank, so I don't really worry about my usage. If they decided to start capping again, I'll adjust my usage and count the days until I move.

I did read on stopthecap »stopthecap.com/2012/11/15/time-w···-in-nyc/ that a) some places have had this meter for months (since at least July) and b) they are saying that they want to use it to reduce usage of some people to under 5 gigs with a whole $5 discount. That wouldn't bother me.

I also wouldn't be opposed to a rational system where they pushed my "excessive usage" over to certain times of day when demand is low, say from 12am-6am, where the usage wouldn't count towards the cap.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Nick21
What is the link? I can't find it.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to Nick21
The tracker showed up in my "My Services" today for the first time and when I compare it to my last months usage as collected by my router, it registered 1GB less than what I measured. I am happy that it seems to be counting correctly - but unhappy because I know what they will probably be trying to pull next

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Nick21
i just checked... they got me at 67gb october (partial month due to modem swap) and 90gb so far in november. that sounds about right, as i torrent about 3gb per day of the previous day's tv shows, and i surf and game play daily. i'm not on netflix or anything heavy duty like that, so my usage should not be a concern for twc as long as my vpn keeps hiding me.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Nick21
If they have expensive no cap limit package assuming they put on caps I will pay for that if they dont then I will have to switch to fios. I dont use anything like torrents at all for years but I still do use a lot of download, been on best package they offer for a reason, I am willing to pay more but if they try to charge me per GB that will be end of it.

Btw, I am happy to have power back after 22 days here in rockaways after the whole sandy mess....