spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

FTTC

What about those that have FTTC in the old BellSouth territory. It wouldn't take much to upgrade us. Would they really cut us too?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Gilitar:

What about those that have FTTC in the old BellSouth territory. It wouldn't take much to upgrade us. Would they really cut us too?

Actually, yes. They would. Upgrading the curbside boxes isn't trivial. Nobody builds replacement cards, so they must either extend the fiber to the premises, and install ONTs, a la FiOS (but AT&T has not, historically, overbuilt existing plant with fiber anywhere), or pull the fiber back to the VRADs and upgrade the copper plant. Neither is cheap, and they'd rather not expend capital for either.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by NormanS:

said by Gilitar:

Actually, yes. They would. Upgrading the curbside boxes isn't trivial. Nobody builds replacement cards, so they must either extend the fiber to the premises, and install ONTs, a la FiOS (but AT&T has not, historically, overbuilt existing plant with fiber anywhere), or pull the fiber back to the VRADs and upgrade the copper plant. Neither is cheap, and they'd rather not expend capital for either.

More power to AT&T if they do cut us. I can guarantee they lose many customers like myself on the wireless side too if they decide to cut my wired internet.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to NormanS

to NormanS
Actually not true. AT&T under Ed, back under SBC during Project Lightspeed did rebuild and replace copper with Fiber Optic direct to the homes. It was done in the Ameritech region and one areas is Carlton Michigan which is in Monroe County. Other areas have the same in Wisconsin. The copper also was removed and its direct FTTH some areas are complete FTTH some are mixed. but was rebuilt.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

That is news, to me. Everything I read about SBC Project Lightspeed said that FTTH was only in "greenfield" communities, and everything else was FTTN. I was given a couple of examples from Pacific Telesis and Southwestern Bell.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

the SBC region PacBell, SNET and BS were treated differently. Ameritech was the only region that seen this. It was to combat munis and it worked. The only downside is the FTTH network has the same speeds as the VDSL network. The FTHH network was/is designed with 2Wire/Pace products. Even the ONTs and the gateway/router. Depending on if you have IP-DSL or U-Verse VDSL depends on if you get the 2Wire or a Mot.