Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to crazypants

Premium Member

to crazypants

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

Hi Crazypants,

I wanted to thank you for being so patient with us while we worked with you on this issue. I know that you & Martin have been corresponding for quite some time. We have continued to look into the issue and below is what we have found...

Currently, TekSavvy has many 1 GB AGAS links deployed to service its Ontario/Quebec DSL user-base. We have been working with Bell to increase the number of links in the past few months and continue to do so.

Our most recent link was implemented in late October to increase capacity and we have 3 more links or order. Given the large size of TekSavvy, we are hitting technical challenges with Bell in some serving areas. We continue to work with Bell to resolve these and will continue to re-balance links to ensure customers enjoy the full throughput of their internet connection.

A temporary solution, although not ideal, is to disconnect your PPPoE session (or simply reboot your modem/router) and reconnect with the chance of being placed on another link which has been balanced. The executive team is aware of this situation and continues to look at all options to ensure that customers are receiving the best Internet experience possible.

We will continue to communicate and keep an open dialogue as information becomes available.

Cheers,

Andre

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Andre, this is a known thing... But frankly we as end users shouldn't have to worry about it especially as TekSavvy has dozens of these 1gig links...

This has been an issue since Teksavvy got multiple links way back when, and there was no way to "balance them", because bell did not provide a way to do so...

The more customers & links you get, the worse this problem gets!

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

I understand what your saying. I just wanted to put it out there to explain the situation a little better and to let people know what are plans are.

Thanks,

Andre
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

Given the large size of TekSavvy, we are hitting technical challenges with Bell in some serving areas.

Do you mean:
a) Bell doesn't want to serve 'large' customers?
b) You aren't large enough to get Bell to serve you?
c) TSI is so large that you've lost track of where and when you need upgrade capacity? ie. the paper airplane with the note about capacity issues on it can't make it from one side of the office to the other anymore
d) You aren't growing fast enough to justify 10GB links, so us lowly customers have to wait it out til you can?
e) Something else?

Just asking for a clearer statement.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Andre

MVM

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

I understand what your saying. I just wanted to put it out there to explain the situation a little better and to let people know what are plans are.

Thanks,

Andre

Unless you guys have changed your network architecture since I last looked, the MLPPP hardware only gets a subset of the AHSSPI links. So you can have a situation where the AHSSPI links to the MLPPP router is saturated, but most or all of the other AHSSPI links might not be full.

So basically, since reconnecting an MLPPP account could only hit one of the AHSSPI tunnels assigned to the MLPPP hardware, you would always hit a saturated link even if non-MLPPP links were unsaturated...

Might want to confirm this with Gabe.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

Thanks,

Andre

Hasn't there been discussions with Bell to provide 10gbps links instead of dozens of 1gbps links? If Bell refuses, shouldnt this be brought up in front of the CRTC, as stifling the growth of independents and limiting them with technology that is affecting their subscribers because of the inability of bell to provide a load balancing solution.
crazypants
join:2011-02-25
North York, ON

crazypants to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Maynardkrebs,

All your points make sense. The situation with Rogers was similar a while back when the upgrades weren't happening fast enough to handle the TSI growth. Has Bell taken its turn now after the Rogers fiasco from the pass couple of years.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rules were different for VDSL, in that upgrades should be a lot quicker when it comes to the CRTC. Also, if TSI saw this coming on the cable side, why on earth would you not learn from that experience and ensure you have the proper capacity. With cable there was a stop sell, should there be the same on VDSL?
crazypants

crazypants to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Andre,

Thank you for your response. As I mentioned in my review I didn't appreciate the fact that the buck was being pushed back to me. All this time in the private forum I did tests and showed there was and issue yet no one wanted to admit. That since no one else complained, obviously you are an isolated insistent. TSI staff here boast on their advert about "what can do with 300G". I laugh and wonder if I could even reach 200G, if all I count is peak time activities.

At least it is finally out in the open. This is what I asked of Pierre, that I wanted it to be brought forth that there is an issue. But TSI wanted it under the radar as to not scare off potential customers, which I've seen one on this thread mentioned they would hold off.

Also, I understand that you guys have a lot of things on the go but having to PM Martin every so often was getting tiring and I felt I had to escalate things.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by crazypants:

Andre,

Thank you for your response. As I mentioned in my review I didn't appreciate the fact that the buck was being pushed back to me. All this time in the private forum I did tests and showed there was and issue yet no one wanted to admit. That since no one else complained, obviously you are an isolated insistent. TSI staff here boast on their advert about "what can do with 300G". I laugh and wonder if I could even reach 200G, if all I count is peak time activities.

At least it is finally out in the open. This is what I asked of Pierre, that I wanted it to be brought forth that there is an issue. But TSI wanted it under the radar as to not scare off potential customers, which I've seen one on this thread mentioned they would hold off.

Also, I understand that you guys have a lot of things on the go but having to PM Martin every so often was getting tiring and I felt I had to escalate things.

It wasn't a case of wanting it under the radar as much as it was that we really didn't think it was that bad.. It looked liked adding the last gig link and fixing the one that was buggered would fix what little problem there was... Certainly we felt that restarting your modem and better balancing the Agas links, as we've always done.. Would solve it.

We've know it was tight though like I said.. We were running it tighter than we would like.. There's no doubt about that. But everybody is.. At these rates it may as well be pure gold...
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

I see, I guess HiVolt and I should have gone to the open forum much earlier so it didn't go this far for so long. I honestly though that since the earlier thread was abandoned, that we were the only ones having this problem. What didn't make sense is that HiVolt and I live in two separate parts of the city. Also, didn't the TSI techs in the private forum mention this to you?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Yeah.. I was paying attention. I've been looking at network graphs for ten years... They don't look like they're completely saturated.. Plus like you say, not many were complaining.. Seemed like it wasn't a huge issue. Many links don't have an issue... Some only slightly, few have it bad. Adding the last link and fixing the one did help.. Just not enough.

Everybody is so focused on cable these days...
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

So the $52.99 is just not cutting it. Amazing that we pay $68 for 25/10 (mind you I only get barely 7 U/L) a month and you are losing money. As you said, it seems to be that the CRTC ruling is really not working out.

Also, I want to add that I have stuck it out with TSI all this time, since I shivered at the idea of going to the big bad wolves.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by crazypants:

So the $52.99 is just not cutting it. Amazing that we pay $68 for 25/10 (mind you I only get barely 7 U/L) a month and you are losing money. As you said, it seems to be that the CRTC ruling is really not working out.

Also, I want to add that I have stuck it out with TSI all this time, since I shivered at the idea of going to the big bad wolves.

Yeah no worries. I'd rather you stay.. Even if I'm loosing money.. It's only temporary...

For the rates.. Just think about it.. There's a flat rate just for the line.. Then it's $23 per mbit... So at 25 mbit.. If you use your full 25 mbit at 10-11 PM each night all month long.. You will have cost us (literally) $575.
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

You will have cost us (literally) $575.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

For the rates.. Just think about it.. There's a flat rate just for the line.. Then it's $23 per mbit... So at 25 mbit.. If you use your full 25 mbit at 10-11 PM each night all month long.. You will have cost us (literally) $575.

Holy freakin smokes... just for an hour of full usage each day in peak time?

Thats utter insanity...

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Yeah basically even the caps don't really make sense to be honest.

If its not at peak time.. It doesn't really matter.. It's not costing us a thing.

Amanda83
@teksavvy.com

Amanda83 to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by crazypants:

Yeah no worries. I'd rather you stay.. Even if I'm loosing money.. It's only temporary...

Wow! Marc this is crazy. Do you lose the same amount of money on ADSL users?

P.s. I appreciate you sharing this. Oh! And I recently helped a friend sign up for cable 16 and tektalk. They love it!