Search similar:

uniqs

C0RR0SIVE88
@direcway.com

C0RR0SIVE88 to stardust3

Anon

to stardust3

Re: Pole size question for Gen 4

So, you rather screw the client in the end stardust3?

I can't say for sure as I am not an installer, and I don't get all the information that installers do get, but, when my Gen4 system was installed, my installers had to take pictures of several things, with, if I remember right, my SAN showing up on paper, in the pictures. This was sent back to hughesnet. If they require this on all installs now (My install was a training install....) or not this very day, I am unsure. But, I would find it hilarious, if Hughesnet had to send out another installer to check your work, and find the wrong pipe had been used, while the install is still under the warranty period. You could probably see a nice little bill to you to cover your screw up.

I know if I ever have a customer like you come into my garage, I will half ass the work, and double the prices, just because you like to screw people over and cause headaches for several people.

Hell, I would hate to see what those thinwall pipes do in the wind around here, the proper pipe vibrates a decent bit in mild winds, a LOT in very heavy winds. Signal goes down a good bit when this happens, so you ARE the problem, and seriously need to find another field of work.... Maybe you can manage as janitorial at walmart? Maybe a door greeter? Those seem to be with in your abilities.
montana_sat
Premium Member
join:2005-12-05
Kalispell, MT

montana_sat

Premium Member

On the realistic side of things I've been on several HughesNet service calls where I found thin-wall pipe was used instead of Schedule 40, and fortunatly whoever was installing them in our area at least filled them up with concrete and strengthened them up a bit, but even the ones I found that hadn't been filled with concrete, none of those repairs were related to the installer using thin-wall pipe, so chances are that isn't going to be a major concern or problem area, but of course Schd. 40 is better!

And installers are now required to take several photos of the installation and submit them with their paperwork to get paid, so that should help as far as the installation quality is concerned anyway!
stardust3
join:2012-09-08
united state

stardust3 to C0RR0SIVE88

to C0RR0SIVE88
To all you old codgers spouting off. You have no idea what you're talking about. The nice thing is I don't have to answer to any of you, other than with the finger. As far as thin wall poles, I can guarantee I'm not the only 1 using them. I know at least 30 other installers between 2 companies using thin wall also. Don't think for a minute that Hughes doesn't know they're being used. If they supplied them like they used to it would be different, but they don't do it now. It was too expensive for them & it's too expensive for installers also. They also know they would lose a big chunk of the workforce by forcing their hand. To those that demand schedule 40 I suggest you have it on hand when the installer arrives.
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

stardust3
I thought you were done with this, I guess people hit a nerve!
Next I guess you will want to use PVC.

PCsongBird
join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL

PCsongBird to stardust3

to stardust3
Well stardust, these "old codgers" just happen to be customers of HughesNet, and I guess indirectly customers of yours, as yours is the first and only "face" anyone see's when they purchase the product and service from Hughes. And what a delight you must be in person to deal with! I am sure that anyone reading this thread interested in purchasing HughesNet, or just wanting info on what should be a quality standard install (as per the Hughes company specs) will find the information you provided very helpful. I thank you again for enlighten all us old codgers (and some of the younger ones) on what should be and what is the reality in your world. Even the rude name calling and insinuations really add more to the information that each person needs to have before making this rather expensive purchase. Thanks again!
PCsongBird

1 edit

PCsongBird to BrianK

to BrianK
I think there is now more than enough information in this thread to answer the original posters question about the Gen4 install.

The answer from the HughesNet installer notes specify the proper 2" schedule 40 galvanized pole, and that has been given.

It was countered with the opinion of one of the HughesNet "expert" installers, with his idea of what he uses and why, the thin walled pole that is not in the HN guidelines requirement.

That was again debated by actual users of that pole, on previous installs on a much smaller and lighter dish, as being inadequate on that system, vibrating in the wind, effecting signal, mod code results, and bit depth in the end, resulting in less than optimum performance when this happens.

It was suggested perhaps this is the reason for the recent memo sent out by the company in regards to the pole used.

This was again countered by the "expert" installer as being delusional thinking, as is using the required pole to start with.

The attitude of the "expert" installer only adds to the "flavor" of the thread, but is very enlightening in it's own right.

There is a reason Hughes put out these guidelines and notes, especially in light of the new larger Gen 4 dish system, but as you can see, there are some "problems" implementing it still.

Perhaps the new steps that HughesNet are putting in place for the installers Quality Control will eventually help in that regard.

One can only hope....

After all, we are the ones using and paying for the system day in and day out... and I would like to think that maters to this company, even if it doesn't to some of these installers.

Aframe
Premium Member
join:2008-01-30
Uvalde, TX

Aframe to BrianK

Premium Member

to BrianK
I sure that on the installs that don't get a pole installed he is refunding the $25 to hughesnet.
stardust3
united state

stardust3 to PCsongBird

to PCsongBird
I will say most people do not any homework in regards to signing up on this service. At least 75% have no clue that caps even exist or that high pings are not good for gaming. A good portion of those have other means of internet available to them. I couldn't count the times I would be there to replace someones cable modem with hughes. I just shake my head & install it as I'm not there to try & talk them out of it. Thankfully most of my installs are mast mounts. I've been carrying the same 2 poles around for over 2 weeks. Did you know hughes does not allow a dish to be mounted to a brick wall? It's perfectly acceptable with Dish & Directv. I don't do it because they back charge for a brick mount, but was never given an answer why, other than fact they say it's not an approved mounting surface.
Recovery act was technically ended a long time ago. I still get many of these jobs, they are only available on space way. Recovery act is intended for folks with no other means of internet. Yet I'd say 95% of those I get people do have other means & yes I swapped out a ton of cable modems for hughes on this program.
If people had any sense at all they would avoid Hughes entirely as long as they had other means for internet.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by stardust3:

If people had any sense at all they would avoid Hughes entirely as long as they had other means for internet.

Yet you still take their money, then turn around and badmouth'em on the internet. That's class!!

//greg//

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to stardust3

to stardust3
said by stardust3:

At least 75% have no clue that caps even exist or that high pings are not good for gaming.

I'v been doing online gaming with this service for quite a while now and most of the games lag, i can tolerate but I know how bad lag can get and when it's just simply a complete waist of time and thats when the ping is touching 3000ms.

If the lag bothers me on my end and gets so annoying then i won't even stay in the server for just 1 whole match. If the lag is annoying to others in the server and it really bothers them and they start saying that i'm a hacker, thats the point when it falls back onto me because the host will literally start video tapping me then after a few minutes of video recording me lag they kick me out and then i try hacking back in (proccess repeats till i'm tired and out of it late at night)
stardust3
united state

stardust3 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
I don't have a bit of problem with it.
I am going to buy a couple of schedule 40 poles Friday to keep on the truck. For those needing a pole on an upgrade it will be $125 & non negotiable. No more free router hookups, they will $40 & non negotiable. Cable bury over 25' is $1.50 per foot whether you bury it or me. I thank you all for opening my eyes up, I have been missing out on a ton of money.