join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by FF4m3 :

Read full article at Gaming Blend.

Good read, can't say that I'm surprised by the outcome.

At the risk of sounding completely pedantic, I'm going to come out and say that a game publishers of TL2 would probably not have banned the user and would probably support any effort to run the game on Linux, seeing as they now have a native Linux TL1.

Each dollar spent on a particular game is a tacit endorsement of their policies... spend your money wisely.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3
quote:
Warden

Hmm, Pretty interesting Blizzard didn't slip Warden into WOW with it's last expansion. But then again, there are many who play WOW on linux boxes.

Also interesting Blizzard went the way they did, from what I've read in the WOW forums, they are pretty open minded towards people trying to get their game running on linux. By open minded, I mean they don't lock/remove the thread.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
said by Snakeoil:

quote:
Warden

Hmm, Pretty interesting Blizzard didn't slip Warden into WOW

1. Warden has been in WoW from the very, very beginning.
2. WoW before release had a native client for Linux, version 0.7 was the first "windows only" (Mac came later).
3. Warden looks for Wine and changes behavior to SUPPORT it, WineHQ has details.
4. Bans regarding Warden in Wine have happened before, frequently, and to date have 100% resulted in a refund, apology, and rumored leaked 'patches' for bugs in Wine.
5. Blizzard has had a "don't ask don't tell" type relationship with Linux and WoW since they removed the native linux client in version 0.7.
6. The strong major majority were playing WoW on Linux without issue during the "everyone is getting baned on Linux" FUD stories were running.

This is a story of impatience, not deception and untruths, and Wine being buggy.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3
I sometimes get the feeling it would be trivial for them to make a linux client because they have most the framework in place(OSX is very similar and more importantly is WoW does have an OpenGL engine. And having an OGL engine is likely one if the bigger hurdles of Win to OSX/Linux.)

Part of me wonders is they want to avoid supporting idiots. Windows and OSX are pretty uniform OSs. Some non power user who does not know how to google things, calling in with a linux problem and the tech being unable to help because the person's friend customized their install.

Though they could go the Valve route and only have official support for Ubuntu.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

Honestly, how much support does any gamer get no matter which o/s they use?
Most support these days stop at setting up a public forums, and letting people post their problems and answers.
--
~ Project Hope ~

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to FF4m3
Blizzard Will Re-Review Banned Diablo 3 Linux Accounts Upon Request:

Blizzard is acknowledging that sometimes mistakes are made and that if you're a Linux user who had your account banned and you feel you were on the receiving end of a false-positive from the automated security service Warden, they're encouraging you to contact them for a re-review of your account.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
reply to FF4m3
Interesting.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to markofmayhem
said by markofmayhem:

6. The strong major majority were playing WoW on Linux without issue during the "everyone is getting baned on Linux" FUD stories were running.

This is a story of impatience, not deception and untruths, and Wine being buggy.

This is what I needed to know. I'm planning on getting a new SSD this Friday (hopefully) and I'm going to put Linux on it. The only reason I'm not putting Windows on it is because of the ability to play WoW.

Thanks.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK