BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

BHN Black Friday/Cyber Monday Alerts Thread

Hey folks,

Lets have some fun here and help each other find the best tech deals and discuss whether or not they are in fact good buying decisions and how well they will play with BHN related products. Be sure to include the store (link if possible), description of item, model number and price.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
Let me start it off with a low cost LCD Toshiba Television at Best Buy...

Toshiba 40" LCD 1080p, 60hz, Best Buy SKU 4758734
$179.99

Of course we know how this works. *IF* you can get one this is a fairly good deal. Toshiba LCD TV's are pretty decent with good picture, reliability and so-so audio (as usual with most LCD's) (I have two (26" & 32") and in this size, price range and feature set would be perfect for a guest bedroom or screened porch.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert
not a bad deal, too bad you have to camp out for 3 days to get one..

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Here's a deal to avoid...

Officemax has the HGST Touro 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive available for $64.99 and by most standards this would be a good deal especially since you can never have enough backup storage in my opinion. This deal however is no great deal.

HGST is a Western Digital company but unlike most WD products this one sucks. Consumer reviews are fair to poor at best, save your $64.99 and get something that will last a bit. I'll have some posted soon enough.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
I think either this Friday or Black Friday itself Amazon will be offering lightning deals on TVs and goodies. One thing that stands out is a Roku HD Streaming player for $39. The other is a Toshiba 40" 1080p LCD TV for $179 like BHNTech posted that BB will have. I'd like the TV and might shop in my jammies

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Yup...

Best Buy has the Roku as you stated:

Model: Roku - HD (wireless only) SKU: 5573771
$39.99

This is a good deal and nicely complements all three of our RR speed tiers and of course support HBO GO

They also have two other models at good deals..

Model: Roku - 2 XD SKU: 2825041
$59.99

Model: Roku - 2 XS SKU: 2825032
$79.99
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Here's a VERY good external storage solution from Best Buy (remember you can never have enough backup for your data)!!

Best Buy
Model: Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 3TB External Drive
SKU: 5597959
$99.99

This would make a nice gift for any family member and comes with a good warranty and performance that you expect with Seagate.

So that uncle with a computer that you normally get that nasty food basket....stop. Get him something he can and will use like this. My personal two cents...
--

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN
walmart is doing several in store deals on WII, Xbox and PS3 games for 10 15 and 25 bucks. among the PS3 25 dollar games is WWE 13, BF3 and many more. the ad is on bfads.net

AMejia1976

join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
All GREAT deals... except the 12 hr shift I am working...

@l3x
--
Semper Fi

charbear1

@embarqhsd.net
reply to BHNtechXpert
How about some actual posts regarding BHN deals for new Customers. I am considering going with BHN for HS Internet only here in Orlando. What is the best sign-up deal?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by charbear1 :

How about some actual posts regarding BHN deals for new Customers. I am considering going with BHN for HS Internet only here in Orlando. What is the best sign-up deal?

This isn't the thread for that and your best solution for pricing and packages is to call our sales department in your area. The forums aren't intended to promote products this way...
--

Nayan3

Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Any good router deals? I have a Netgear N300 that's beginning to act weird and if there's a better one on sale I'd like to grab one.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I'm looking for router deals right now...CompUSA has been slow to get their ad out and nothing so far screams buy me. There are a couple of router deals with Best Buy and others but honestly I wouldn't buy those routers...wouldn't even use them if they were free. Also monitoring Amazon for one of their deals of the day.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
where is the 30 dollar roku at? can I buy it online?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Best Buy Tim...

Nayan3

Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
The Roku will be available at Best Buy, Amazon and Roku's site itself if you follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

I saw the routers offered and I think I'll pass on those .

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Okay the CompUSA ad is in!!

Page 3 of the ad:

32" Westinghouse LED/LCD HDTV $179.99 - I strongly advise against this one...

Roku 2 XD
$59.99 - a nice alternative to braving the crowds at Best Buy...same price

Page 4 of the ad:

Homeplug Adapters (Ethernet over Powerline)

Actiontec 200mpbs kit of 2
$29.95 - a very good price!

Trendnet 500mbps kit of 2
$49.99 - a very good price!

Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS)

Cyberpower 425VA
$29.99 - a very good price and good unit for router/modem or your TV gear.

Page 5 of the ad:

Vertex 120gb SSD (Solid State Drive)
$49.95 - smokin hot for small fast storage needs!

Seagate 3TB Internal Hard Drive
$89.99 - smokin hot price for this drive! Remember our hard drive shortage prices guys...this is an awesome deal.

dPstar 32" LED/LCD TV w/2 year warranty
$149.99 - almost a throwaway price for that TV for the porch...this is a good deal.

Page 7 of the ad:

Onkyo 5.1 Channel Home Theater System
$179.99 - A great entry level home theater system and a good price.

Logitech Revue Google TV
$69.99 - I do not recommend this unit - end of life and no longer supported by Logitech beyond warranty repair.

Just quick like these were the things that immediately grab my attention. I'll go back through and check out the system, mobo and other offerings shortly.
--

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Is the ONLY thing people are interested in is H/W????

How about some s/w on sale?

In years past I've been able to BUY Norton's ISS for 3PC's for $10 or even free (all after REBATES or REBATES and INSTANT SAVINGS). I've NOT seen this or any other system protection suites listed? Yes, RR does provide Norton's A/V, but I want a SUITE.

Also trying to alleviate a W8 problem that hit us. Use Ghost for imaging, but it has W8 problems and it is even questionable if it will work at all (can't enter the license number and it says it then is a 30 day trial)? I'd be interested in Imaging s/w on sale, Acronis, Macrium, Paragon, etc. to name a few.

Anyone see this stuff?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Under no circumstances would I recommend that someone buys a security suite when there are near perfect solutions at no charge including our own.

Software is a specific thing...if you need it you know it and you know what prices are good or otherwise...so no not really interested in "software" deals.

ispalten

Clermont, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

Under no circumstances would I recommend that someone buys a security suite when there are near perfect solutions at no charge including our own.

Software is a specific thing...if you need it you know it and you know what prices are good or otherwise...so no not really interested in "software" deals.

Hmm, thread name indicated nothing that restricts this to h/w Gary? No reason it can't be mentioned here, especially if one sees one that someone is interested in?

What suite does BHN provide?

I see this :

=================
Never worry about online safety. Road Runner High Speed Online from Bright House Networks delivers McAfee Antivirus software FREE to Road Runner customers for the privacy and protection you deserve.
=================

No 2 way Firewall, no e-mail protection, and YES a lot does get through the RR filters... They used to provide CA's suite, but that was dropped.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
There is no restriction but you asked me... I am not going to recommend any software....that is all.

TURBO1112

join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
On the look for another UPS. Just enough for modem/router. Is that one in the compusa online deal, or in store only?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by TURBO1112:

On the look for another UPS. Just enough for modem/router. Is that one in the compusa online deal, or in store only?

Nope thats instore. I'm going to pick up a couple myself. I have several cyberpower devices including my two big UPS's that power tech central and honestly I have had NOTHING but great service from them. I test them monthly and without a doubt they just perform.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Turbo at those prices you can afford to put one on every TV and box combination and when those momentary power glitches hit during storms you don't miss that awsome play in the game because your box reboot courtesy of mother nature. That's what I do and it adds another layer of electronic protection...electronics hate dips and surges and this eliminates them and gives you about 20 minutes of backup on top of it depending on what you connect to it.
--

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Gary, you didn't answer me on this part... is there a SUITE or just the McAfee A/V? I think that does do e-mail protection, but I also want a 2 way firewall.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
You don't need email protection nonsense. You don't need a protection suite at all. You are behind a router therefore no firewall software is needed for most people, you can get free AV with MSE and for the other pesky stuff use a combination of Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware...problem solved...$60 back in your pocket and far more pep in your system because it isn't bogged down with a bunch of garbage.

Again Irv...this is for a different thread..this hijack #2 today if you want to discuss something off thread topic create your own thread....thank you.
--

helousaf

join:2001-01-02
Melbourne, FL

1 recommendation

reply to BHNtechXpert
I can personally vouch for the Trendnet 500mbps kits - I have two sets working flawlessly - full speed seen on all from RR turbo connection...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Agreed....

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
Great thread Gary.

Amazon has some great deals coming up for Black Friday.

60" Vizio LED Smart TV for $688

Toshiba 40" for $179

Panasonic 55" Smart 3D LED for $899

For more of these deals: »www.blackfriday.fm/ad/amazon

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by gigahurtz:

Great thread Gary.

Amazon has some great deals coming up for Black Friday.

60" Vizio LED Smart TV for $688

Toshiba 40" for $179

Panasonic 55" Smart 3D LED for $899

For more of these deals: »www.blackfriday.fm/ad/amazon

That Toshiba price is a keeper and so is the Vizio. For those that don't know Vizio has done amazing things with their smart TV's...gone are the days of slow web applications and useless Apps. The Apps engine is responsive and their library is extensive...I managed to latch on to one of their 47" 3D smart TV's for little of nothing about 3 months ago and just love it. Is ity GoogeTV...nope but then again I'm tired of giving my personal data to Google anyway so I'm perfectly happy.
--