Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

How long do Linksys routers last?

Hello.

Is it me or do Linksys routers do not last very long? I had two different Linksys routers (many years ago's BEFSX41 v1 and 2009's WRT54GL v1.1 with their latest stock firmwares). BEFSX41's network stopped loading correctly even with its internal web pages and after reinstalling its latest firmware. WRT54GL seems to be having random and rare wired network disconnection problems with my computers and cable modem, so maybe it is the router. My friend's five years old Linksys WRT router was misbehaving even with third party firmwares (both DD-WRT and Tomato).

Do these consumer routers not last very long?

Thank you in advance.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I have a WRT54GS v2 that I got basically on clearance because version 4 or 5 was just being released. I actually got it from CompUSA and it is still running. Been at least 6 years old with stock firmware - nary a hiccup.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by CylonRed:

I have a WRT54GS v2 that I got basically on clearance because version 4 or 5 was just being released. I actually got it from CompUSA and it is still running. Been at least 6 years old with stock firmware - nary a hiccup.

Interesting and thanks.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to antdude

My Linksys/Vonage RTP300 is 7 years old, and it is still in use. The external power brick started causing random reboots and router hangs several years ago, but the router itself is still going strong (using a power brick from a retired Motorola VT2442 router).

Problems that are seen by router owners as a problem with a consumer/soho grade router are often actually a problem with the external power brick.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by NetFixer:

My Linksys/Vonage RTP300 is 7 years old, and it is still in use. The external power brick started causing random reboots and router hangs several years ago, but the router itself is still going strong (using a power brick from a retired Motorola VT2442 router).

Problems that are seen by router owners as a problem with a consumer/soho grade router are often actually a problem with the external power brick.

Interesting. Power bricks. I will have to try that.
--

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to antdude

I have owned 3 Linksys routers so far. BEFSR41, WRT54GL (ran with Tomato firmware) and now using my current E4200 V1. Never had a problem with any of them and had the first 2 for a few years. My latest one I have had about a year and a half now. Maybe a little longer? I tried Netgear once and it was a early 3700. Terrible. Since then I have always returned to Linksys. My only complaint with them. They are slow to release new firmware and even the current EA6500 does NOT have a built in bandwidth meter. That is pretty much standard in routers now. Linksys is still living in the dark ages regarding that feature.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by KoRnGtL15:

I have owned 3 Linksys routers so far. BEFSR41, WRT54GL (ran with Tomato firmware) and now using my current E4200 V1. Never had a problem with any of them and had the first 2 for a few years. My latest one I have had about a year and a half now. Maybe a little longer? I tried Netgear once and it was a early 3700. Terrible. Since then I have always returned to Linksys. My only complaint with them. They are slow to release new firmware and even the current EA6500 does NOT have a built in bandwidth meter. That is pretty much standard in routers now. Linksys is still living in the dark ages regarding that feature.

Do I assume third party firmwares have this feature?
--

dbarber

join:2000-07-25
West Chester, PA
reply to antdude

I have installed BEFSR41, BEFSX41, and BEFSR81 routers for clients. One of the BEFSX41 routers failed after 7 years. The others are still going strong after 6-10 years.
At home I have a Cisco\Linksys E3000 (running TomatoUSB) that has served me well for a couple of years with no problems.
I don't think that Linksys is any worse than any of the other companies.
--
These opinions are strictly my own. However, if you really want them, we can negotiate.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to antdude

quote:
WRT54GL seems to be having random and rare wired network disconnection problems with my computers and cable modem,
The cable modem should be in front of the router I would think. Highly doubt the router is causing a modem issue.

Explain the issue (any and all symptoms) and the steps you have taken to find the cause of the issue.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by CylonRed:

quote:
WRT54GL seems to be having random and rare wired network disconnection problems with my computers and cable modem,
The cable modem should be in front of the router I would think. Highly doubt the router is causing a modem issue.

Explain the issue (any and all symptoms) and the steps you have taken to find the cause of the issue.

I am not losing cable modem connection. My LAN computers seem to lose connections through network cables every morning for two seconds each per day. I am still trying to figure this out.
--

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to antdude

SX41v1 that ran for over 4 years and then retired.
WRT54GSv1 w/ stock firmware that has been/is running for 7-8 years as an AP.
RV082 that has been/is running for over 7 years.
--
TCE Weather -- Mt. Rose Cam

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Yes both Tomato and DD-WRT. They have many more features then what stock firmware offers.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to NetFixer

Power bricks is a common issue another issue is bad ventilation of the case and overheating.

I have a Wrt54G almost 10 years running DD-wrt

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Hagar:

Power bricks is a common issue another issue is bad ventilation of the case and overheating.

I have a Wrt54G almost 10 years running DD-wrt

That is why I "stack" my modems/routers/switches with plenty of breathing room.

--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Jan Janowski

join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to antdude

I ran multiple V1 BEFSX41's for maybe 6-7 years... Re-capped the power supply once... Ran beta code in these for years. Never killed one with an upgrade, but I did have one SX41 die. (All were Used Ebay purchases, so who knows how old they were....)
Same with WRT54G Ver 1... except just release Linksys/Cisco code

About 3 years ago, upgraded to Gigabit in house, replacing Cat5E for Cat6 wiring throughout.
Swapped BEFSX41's for RVS4000's (one new, one Ebay/Used).... WRT54G for E2000 (New) and 100mb to Gigabit switch.... Latest Cisco firmware, IPS loaded in each....

I've got one bug.... E2000 doesn't have bridge mode, so I have to toggle one setting on reset or power failure. But other than that, I'm relatively happy with these....
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to antdude

I just replaced my Linksys WRT160N. We've had it for 7 years, with no issues. Well, until recently. The issue was we had more wifi devices then what the router could handle. So I just purchased a Cisco Linksys AC 1750 router. So far, everything seems to be working better.
This router is rated for 7+ wifi devices, we have 12 wifi devices.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to NetFixer

I'll have to get this, as the table top is getting crowed, and as the whole shelf unit you have showing is wire, it looks like air circulation is good [for keeping things kool.]
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Snakeoil:

I'll have to get this, as the table top is getting crowed, and as the whole shelf unit you have showing is wire, it looks like air circulation is good [for keeping things kool.]

Yeah, I hope it's stable during a small earthquake. :P

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

I am not losing cable modem connection. My LAN computers seem to lose connections through network cables every morning for two seconds each per day. I am still trying to figure this out.

Are you using DHCP to assign IPs? If so, are your lease times set to expire after 24 hours?
--
Zach

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Zach1:

said by antdude:

Are you using DHCP to assign IPs? If so, are your lease times set to expire after 24 hours?

I am using static IP addresses for the wired computers. However, I have not seen this problem for a couple days so far...

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to antdude

Ah hah, I just saw it in person! Both my wired computers lost connection for a couple seconds again a few minutes ago at about 9:51 AM PST. I could not find anything about in the router's log since incoming is empty (a known issue?) and outgoing shows what I connected (my two computers and www, ntp, ircd, and www which are correct; usually shows way more!). It seems like my router rebooted? I am going to try manually power cycle. If that fails, then reset to default factory and redo my configurations from scratch.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by antdude:

Ah hah, I just saw it in person! Both my wired computers lost connection for a couple seconds again a few minutes ago at about 9:51 AM PST. I could not find anything about in the router's log since incoming is empty (a known issue?) and outgoing shows what I connected (my two computers and www, ntp, ircd, and www which are correct; usually shows way more!). It seems like my router rebooted? I am going to try manually power cycle. If that fails, then reset to default factory and redo my configurations from scratch.

Boo. It happened again after I left home this morning. I think I will plan for a reset to factory settings for this long Thanksgiving 2012 weekend. Should I do the physical method or through the software?--

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

Keep us informed of your progress.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Mike Wolf:

Keep us informed of your progress.

Just a quick status. I made a firmware backup, did the physical reset yesterday afternoon, reconfigured from scratch (did not set everything like my previous ones, just the important/required ones like the same SSID, same static LAN IP addresses for two wired machines, etc.)).

I am not sure if this was the same before, but my physical router's Cisco Systems logo is orange color instead of white. I can't really remember if it was white. My brain thinks it was white before. However, I read that this is for EasySetup which I never used and pretty sure I disabled. Is there a way to view my backup without restoring to the router to check?
--

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by antdude:

I am not sure if this was the same before, but my physical router's Cisco Systems logo is orange color instead of white. I can't really remember if it was white. My brain thinks it was white before. However, I read that this is for EasySetup which I never used and pretty sure I disabled.

»homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wirel···-p/54559

The Cisco logo is the Router’s SecureEasySetup button. It lights up and will stay orange when the Router is powered on. The color orange indicates that the Router is not using the SecureEasySetup feature, while the color white indicates that the Router is using the SecureEasySetup feature

--

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to antdude

I have three WRT54's of varying age with the oldest has be getting on at least 8 years and I thought when I moved a year ago I wondered if any of them would puke on me but they all fired up and run, well, probably better after I blew about 8 years of gunk in one of them. Friggin' things seem to be indestructible.... uh oh
--
Orange moved up to #6 and trounced Princeton. Looking forward to our last Big East football game Friday against Temple.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
reply to NetFixer

So far so good after a day, but previous quick disconnects weren't daily. Just almost. We'll see how goes tomorrow and on.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

said by antdude:

I am not sure if this was the same before, but my physical router's Cisco Systems logo is orange color instead of white. I can't really remember if it was white. My brain thinks it was white before. However, I read that this is for EasySetup which I never used and pretty sure I disabled.

»homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wirel···-p/54559

The Cisco logo is the Router’s SecureEasySetup button. It lights up and will stay orange when the Router is powered on. The color orange indicates that the Router is not using the SecureEasySetup feature, while the color white indicates that the Router is using the SecureEasySetup feature

Yeah, I am not using that feature.
--

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Actually the cisco light leds are connected to gpio pins, and can be controlled by the user to signal any condition.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

within the stock firmware and without modification to the board?