United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to antdude

Re: How long do Linksys routers last?

said by antdude:

quote:
Thanks. I hope I did the 30-30-30 correctly since I counted with my mouth.

Yeah, I couldn't find the DHCP times in 192.168.1.1 web pages. Oh well, I guess I will have to live with the problem if it still exists or get a new one. I noticed the rare disconnections are two seconds long and some of my WAN connections do not get dropped like my SSH. Although IM and IRC connections do get dropped so it's not too bad.

I should try power cycling my cable modem too. I will do that if the problem returns. I want to narrow down things first.
30-30-30 method did not fix the problem since it didn't last four days:

[2012-12-02 18:01:36] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up
[2012-12-06 08:12:52] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-06 08:12:54] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up

Tomorrow/Later this weekend, I will try power cycling my old cable modem next to see if it makes any differences. I doubt it.

It happened again this morning after I power cycled on 12/6/2012 evening PST. I give up. I guess a new router is needed if this gets any worse.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to NetFixer

That's not so bad, at least its symmetrical.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to antdude

Now, only a second long.

I just had another one and noticed a new pattern. It is only a second long now. Haha:
[2012-12-12 08:20:42] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-12 08:20:43] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up
[2012-12-14 07:47:06] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-14 07:47:07] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up

--

12/15/2012 1:18 PM PST:

Nope, two seconds again for today. Now, it is almost daily. No specific pattern these days now:
[2012-12-06 08:12:52] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-06 08:12:54] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up
[2012-12-10 08:23:21] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-10 08:23:23] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up
[2012-12-12 08:20:43] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-12 08:20:44] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up
[2012-12-14 07:47:07] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-14 07:47:08] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up
[2012-12-15 08:57:00] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link down
[2012-12-15 08:57:02] r8169 0000:04:00.0: eth0: link up

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to antdude

I think it is time to buy a new one...

Uh oh. I just had a major lag tonight on my LAN. My router didn't respond back to my pings either. I think my router is getting worse so I better start looking for a new one. It looks like there is a post-Christmas sale. Any suggestions on what to get for cheap for a small house and that work well for hardwired (giga speed), wireless, and have third party firmware support from »www.salescircular.com/ca/compute···np.shtml list?

Thank you in advance.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

well the EA2700 has gigabit LAN and WAN and its a good price. »homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Router···prod.htm

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Mike Wolf:

well the EA2700 has gigabit LAN and WAN and its a good price. »homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Router···prod.htm

Thanks. Darn, it's not in the list. I will think about it.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

The native interface isn't that

Good luck and happy shopping.

marinemaster

join:2004-04-12
Suwanee, GA

1 edit

8 years strong

8 years for the WRT54G/L version 4 still going strong, rock solid, always running stock firmware, never rebooted, never drop connection. Only time was rebooted when lost power or ISP had outages.

Same for the Motorola SB5100 series 8 years of service, rock solid. I just replaced the Motorola with the SB6121 and so far has been great. Cheers

Need to mention I setup a Netgear GS105 switch between the SB6121 and Linksys WRT54G as SB6121 is 1Gbps only and can't talk to Linksys 10/100Mbps.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia

1 recommendation

said by marinemaster:

Need to mention I setup a Netgear GS105 switch between the SB6121 and Linksys WRT54G as SB6121 is 1Gbps only and can't talk to Linksys 10/100Mbps.

SB6121 is capable of 10/100/1G, see this link.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.0.2 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
reply to marinemaster

That's correct, the SB6121 is backwards supportive of 10/100 switches and routers and computers. I have this exact modem and switch between an E1200 and EA4500 sometimes, all without a hiccup.

marinemaster

Suwanee, GA

You guys are right. I removed the Netgear switch and the SB6121 and Linksys can talk to each other Thanks much for the info.

no__1__here
Premium
join:2003-10-13
Tomball, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

I've had my WRT54GS since 2003. Ran Sveasoft firmware for several years before switching to Tomato about four years ago. I have dirty power, but a UPS for the router (in a closet with only the modem) helped out. For the most part this router has been rock solid.

That said, I've just replaced it this week with an ASUS router (Tomato again) due to instability with wireless connections. It seems that too many wireless clients were causing hangs/reboots on the trusty old Linksys. It has been re-purposed as an AP.
--
COL 2:8

"Relativism just isn't true for me." - Hillary Putnam

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to marinemaster

Re: 8 years strong

said by marinemaster:

You guys are right. I removed the Netgear switch and the SB6121 and Linksys can talk to each other Thanks much for the info.

Is the activity light on the SB6121 blue or amber? I think the display is the same for the SB6121 and SB6141. If I connect the SB6141, that Oceanic TWC gave me recently when I upgraded to 20/2 and a DOCSIS 3 modem, directly to either my new Win 8 computer, or my old XP computer, the link/activity light is blue (hi speed gigabit ethernet). If I connect my over 9 years old Linksy BEFSR41 then the modem link/activity light is amber (ethernet or Fast ethernet).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

marinemaster

Suwanee, GA

I can check, but I think is amber.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Mele20

you are correct, 10/100Mb is amber and 1Gb is blue

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to antdude

Fixed it?

Weird. I wonder if I fixed it? It has been almost two weeks since I upgraded my 24/7 Debian stable's Kernel v2.6.23-5 to v3.2.0 from its stable backport and switching to KDE v4.4.5 (was using Gnome v2.3). I noticed no more disconnections, reboots, etc. on my router. I don't see how that can cause my router to misbehave that way if it is caused by it.
--

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by antdude:

Weird. I wonder if I fixed it? It has been almost two weeks since I upgraded my 24/7 Debian stable's Kernel v2.6.23-5 to v3.2.0 from its stable backport and switching to KDE v4.4.5 (was using Gnome v2.3). I noticed no more disconnections, reboots, etc. on my router. I don't see how that can cause my router to misbehave that way if it is caused by it.

One possibility might be that the OS upgrade fixed a NIC driver problem that was intermittently causing a flood between the NIC and the router's LAN interface. The router might have been rebooting because of an overflow condition, or because it detected the flood and rebooted in order to reset the LAN interface. A more advanced switch would have likely just masked off the offending switch port, but an inexpensive comsumer/soho grade router would not likely have that capability.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by NetFixer:

said by antdude:

One possibility might be that the OS upgrade fixed a NIC driver problem that was intermittently causing a flood between the NIC and the router's LAN interface. The router might have been rebooting because of an overflow condition, or because it detected the flood and rebooted in order to reset the LAN interface. A more advanced switch would have likely just masked off the offending switch port, but an inexpensive comsumer/soho grade router would not likely have that capability.

Intereting. It could be. What type of floods though? My box can be idling (not asleep/stand by) with no manual network activities.
--

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by antdude:

Intereting. It could be. What type of floods though? My box can be idling (not asleep/stand by) with no manual network activities.

A flood caused by a hardware or driver failure. The PC does not have to do anything but be physically connected and operational. In the old days of coax ethernet or simple hubs, I have seen that problem drop large LANS to their knees.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by NetFixer:

said by antdude:

A flood caused by a hardware or driver failure. The PC does not have to do anything but be physically connected and operational. In the old days of coax ethernet or simple hubs, I have seen that problem drop large LANS to their knees.

Interesting. I did see traffics blocked on my Linux's firewall, but those are just light ones.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by antdude:

said by NetFixer:

said by antdude:

Interesting. I did see traffics blocked on my Linux's firewall, but those are just light ones.

The kind of flooding I am talking about usually happens below the TCPIP layer at the ethernet layer, and it would not be visible to iptables in your PC because it occurs inside the NIC and is simply not visible at all inside the PC. Typically with such a failure the NIC just sends a constant stream of garbage bits out the interface and overwhelms whatever it is connected to. Sometimes just disconnecting the interface (as would happen if the router rebooted) will cause the defective interface to reset, and everything works again (until the next failure). I am not saying this is what happened in your case, but it might explain why the problem seems to have disappeared after you upgraded your OS.
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by NetFixer:

The kind of flooding I am talking about usually happens below the TCPIP layer at the ethernet layer, and it would not be visible to iptables in your PC because it occurs inside the NIC and is simply not visible at all inside the PC. Typically with such a failure the NIC just sends a constant stream of garbage bits out the interface and overwhelms whatever it is connected to. Sometimes just disconnecting the interface (as would happen if the router rebooted) will cause the defective interface to reset, and everything works again (until the next failure). I am not saying this is what happened in your case, but it might explain why the problem seems to have disappeared after you upgraded your OS.

Interesting. So it's like DDoS my router on my internal tiny network (two desktops [static IP addresses] + two wifis [DHCP] + one cable modem for Internet).
--

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by antdude:

Interesting. So it's like DDoS my router on my internal tiny network (two desktops [static IP addresses] + two wifis [DHCP] + one cable modem for Internet).

It would be a DDoS only if you had multiple devices streaming.
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by NetFixer:

said by antdude:

It would be a DDoS only if you had multiple devices streaming.

Good point. DoS.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

That is why I "stack" my modems/routers/switches with plenty of breathing room.

I like the aluminum bit buckets you put between the CPU switch and the equipment stack. It makes it easy to dump all those unwanted orphan packets.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
reply to antdude

I guess this is fixed since I don't see anymore. I will follow-up if it happens again. For now, no new router.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits

I spoke too soon again since it happened at about 8:48:57 AM PST for about a second. Now, I have a suspicion on my Debian/Linux's arpwatch process might be causing it but it just monitors? I noticed that it wasn't running a night ago so I manually started it, and my router rebooted again this morning.

Man says: arpwatch - keep track of ethernet/ip address pairings

$ apt-cache show arpwatch
Package: arpwatch
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 632
Maintainer: KELEMEN Péter
Architecture: amd64
Version: 2.1a15-1.1+squeeze1
Depends: adduser, libc6 (>= 2.7), libpcap0.8 (>= 0.9.8)
Filename: pool/main/a/arpwatch/arpwatch_2.1a15-1.1+squeeze1_amd64.deb
Size: 188294
MD5sum: 5436f25de47de028726db436def5dea8
SHA1: 75c9d036f5a71a1769d62cda333b827b4863c2a2
SHA256: e694736b69f5571a093d5cba773ea8b88cb679ee9368ec9c54019a0ed4d763bd
Description: Ethernet/FDDI station activity monitor
Arpwatch maintains a database of Ethernet MAC addresses seen on the
network, with their associated IP pairs. Alerts the system administrator
via e-mail if any change happens, such as new station/activity,
flip-flops, changed and re-used old addresses.
Homepage: »ee.lbl.gov/
Tag: admin::monitoring, interface::daemon, mail::smtp, network::scanner, network::server, role::program, use::monitor

Or maybe just a coincident? I will keep this daemon running a few more days to see more reboots, and then turn it off to see if it still reboots.

--

1/16/2013: I saw another reboot this morning. For now, I disabled arpwatchd service to see if the problem returns again. To be continued...

1/18/2013: It happened again and with arpwatch disabled.

jason_m

join:2010-01-09
Peabody, MA
reply to antdude

My main gateway befsr41 would be a great example. Not known at the time, but later known as the "version 1". Purchased November 2001 (lightly used) on Ebay, shipped to me for $79.