TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: Fixed it?

said by antdude:

said by NetFixer:

said by antdude:

Intereting. It could be. What type of floods though? My box can be idling (not asleep/stand by) with no manual network activities.

A flood caused by a hardware or driver failure. The PC does not have to do anything but be physically connected and operational. In the old days of coax ethernet or simple hubs, I have seen that problem drop large LANS to their knees.

Interesting. I did see traffics blocked on my Linux's firewall, but those are just light ones.

The kind of flooding I am talking about usually happens below the TCPIP layer at the ethernet layer, and it would not be visible to iptables in your PC because it occurs inside the NIC and is simply not visible at all inside the PC. Typically with such a failure the NIC just sends a constant stream of garbage bits out the interface and overwhelms whatever it is connected to. Sometimes just disconnecting the interface (as would happen if the router rebooted) will cause the defective interface to reset, and everything works again (until the next failure). I am not saying this is what happened in your case, but it might explain why the problem seems to have disappeared after you upgraded your OS.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

The kind of flooding I am talking about usually happens below the TCPIP layer at the ethernet layer, and it would not be visible to iptables in your PC because it occurs inside the NIC and is simply not visible at all inside the PC. Typically with such a failure the NIC just sends a constant stream of garbage bits out the interface and overwhelms whatever it is connected to. Sometimes just disconnecting the interface (as would happen if the router rebooted) will cause the defective interface to reset, and everything works again (until the next failure). I am not saying this is what happened in your case, but it might explain why the problem seems to have disappeared after you upgraded your OS.

Interesting. So it's like DDoS my router on my internal tiny network (two desktops [static IP addresses] + two wifis [DHCP] + one cable modem for Internet).

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by antdude:

Interesting. So it's like DDoS my router on my internal tiny network (two desktops [static IP addresses] + two wifis [DHCP] + one cable modem for Internet).

It would be a DDoS only if you had multiple devices streaming.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by antdude:

It would be a DDoS only if you had multiple devices streaming.

Good point. DoS.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: How long do Linksys routers last?

said by NetFixer:

That is why I "stack" my modems/routers/switches with plenty of breathing room.

I like the aluminum bit buckets you put between the CPU switch and the equipment stack. It makes it easy to dump all those unwanted orphan packets.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

I guess this is fixed since I don't see anymore. I will follow-up if it happens again. For now, no new router.
antdude

4 edits

antdude

Premium Member

I spoke too soon again since it happened at about 8:48:57 AM PST for about a second. Now, I have a suspicion on my Debian/Linux's arpwatch process might be causing it but it just monitors? I noticed that it wasn't running a night ago so I manually started it, and my router rebooted again this morning.

Man says: arpwatch - keep track of ethernet/ip address pairings

$ apt-cache show arpwatch
Package: arpwatch
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 632
Maintainer: KELEMEN Péter
Architecture: amd64
Version: 2.1a15-1.1+squeeze1
Depends: adduser, libc6 (>= 2.7), libpcap0.8 (>= 0.9.8)
Filename: pool/main/a/arpwatch/arpwatch_2.1a15-1.1+squeeze1_amd64.deb
Size: 188294
MD5sum: 5436f25de47de028726db436def5dea8
SHA1: 75c9d036f5a71a1769d62cda333b827b4863c2a2
SHA256: e694736b69f5571a093d5cba773ea8b88cb679ee9368ec9c54019a0ed4d763bd
Description: Ethernet/FDDI station activity monitor
Arpwatch maintains a database of Ethernet MAC addresses seen on the
network, with their associated IP pairs. Alerts the system administrator
via e-mail if any change happens, such as new station/activity,
flip-flops, changed and re-used old addresses.
Homepage: »ee.lbl.gov/
Tag: admin::monitoring, interface::daemon, mail::smtp, network::scanner, network::server, role::program, use::monitor

Or maybe just a coincident? I will keep this daemon running a few more days to see more reboots, and then turn it off to see if it still reboots.

--

1/16/2013: I saw another reboot this morning. For now, I disabled arpwatchd service to see if the problem returns again. To be continued...

1/18/2013: It happened again and with arpwatch disabled.
jason_m
join:2010-01-09
Peabody, MA

jason_m to antdude

to antdude
My main gateway befsr41 would be a great example. Not known at the time, but later known as the "version 1". Purchased November 2001 (lightly used) on Ebay, shipped to me for $79.