spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Candy

@comcast.net

Building a pc

hi i am in need of a computer of college i do computer aided design so need a good processor good video card sound ram and space it has to be intel i only have like a 400 dollar budget so if any one can help me and give me a list of parts i need to get to build a whole computer for less than 400 i would appreciate it i need every thing

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
If you need everything you need to look at a manufactured machine or used machine. You're not going to be getting a machine with good parts for that kind of cash. Sorry, but that's the way it is. You're looking at bargain basement items and the power won't be there. Then toss in the cost of the operating system and there goes 25% of your budgest. Used may be the way to go.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
reply to Candy
For CAD, you probably need a FirePro or Quadro workstation video card, and that by itself eats up your budget. You can get the cheap ones, but we may not be sure how it performs.
You need to max up on RAM, whatever max your motherboard allows.

I think you may want to double your budget. Or as suggested, go the used route.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Candy
I highly recommend trying out the Dell Outlet for your requirements.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to Candy
I'm not sure what software you going to use for your class. I hope you could find out, and I hope it tells you the system requirements.

Looking at this CAD software list:
»cad-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

It doesn't seem to need much to run it.

Try checking:
www.cyberpowerpc.com
and
www.ibuypower.com

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Candy
CAD can be EXTREMELY tough on GPU processing. So much so that most university workstations have GPUs in them that are 10x your budget alone ($4000 GPU ONLY!)

What performance are you looking to get out of a machine? For CAD, you should really be using an i7, which is around $300 in and of itself.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Candy
If you are only doing 2D CAD then the requirements aren't all that strenuous. 3D and/or rendering on the other hand, needs a much more powerful machine.

I recommend you look at used to save some cash, however a decent sized monitor will run you at least $100 on the used market, which doesn't leave much for the computer itself.