All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to mathfaster

to mathfaster

Re: [TWC] Virtually All TWC Customers Face $3.95 Modem Rental Fe

TWC will provision any modem they currently lease in the field as well as what is on the approved list.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by Fleeced:

TWC will provision any modem they currently lease in the field as well as what is on the approved list.

Just wondering if there's any documentation or authoritative source to confirm that. Not mentioning or discussing the reasoning behind the list omissions just leads to conspiracy theories about boosting Motorola stock prices and so on. For example they've got thousands of DPC2100r2 modems on lease but that model is no longer on the list for purchase.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by ArgMeMatey:

Not mentioning or discussing the reasoning behind the list omissions just leads to conspiracy theories about boosting Motorola stock prices and so on. For example they've got thousands of DPC2100r2 modems on lease but that model is no longer on the list for purchase.

The modems on the list are what can be bought on the retail market. Very few modem makers actually sell their modems new at a store. Motorola, Zoom, and Netgear are the big 3 retail modem offerings, that's what is on the list.

Linksys, Belkin, D-link, and a couple of others come and go with their retail modems. They'll release a modem and seemingly abandon support for it shortly after, if it has problems.

Cisco, Scientific Atlanta, RCA, Ubee, Ambit, etc. never sold their modems retail. They're only available grey market or 2nd hand.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What is the "lite" plan? We have basic, standard, grandfathered turbo, turbo, extreme and ultimate.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Lite plan is available in some areas. It's usually 1 mbps or less download and about 1/2 that on upload.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I bet we have it but it is not advertised. You have to ask for something below basic (3/384).

Woops
@rr.com

Woops

Anon

I have an old RCA DCM425 getting about 20 down and 1 up - paying 45.95/mo - if I upgrade the modem, will a lower throttle kick in? I think I have Turbo, but I've had it for so long, I don't know. At 4/mo, I'd take a 6141 from TWC -
mathfaster
join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

mathfaster

said by Woops :

I have an old RCA DCM425 getting about 20 down and 1 up - paying 45.95/mo - if I upgrade the modem, will a lower throttle kick in? I think I have Turbo, but I've had it for so long, I don't know. At 4/mo, I'd take a 6141 from TWC -

Check your TWC invoices. Mine have the plan level I am paying for. No need to guess what level you are on if specified on your invoice.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey
I can attest L3 will activate a SBG900, which is not on the list but used to be in the system so they have config files for it. The SGB901 is on the list. The SBG900 sucks as a router I bridge mine to a real router.