join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to dnoyeB

Re: I don't think they get a full pass

They all know when the whole node is down, it takes alot more investigating to find individual customers that are down, especially if a home is analog only with no internet or something like that... I'm only saying that in your example a blanket credit for your node is in order. In the event of a disaster where anything can and does happen from one house to the next it wouldn't make any sense to just give everyone the same credit, it would "short change" some people as they said in the PR.
--

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

When I said node, I mean your cable modem or digital set top box or terminal adapter. The end node. Comcast knows when those are online and when they are not. Thus, Comcast could give a blanket credit based on on/off time of those devices.

Sure, I suppose its possible someone turned off the power to their house on purpose.

My point is, this company is NOT doing anything out of the ordinary. So the premise that they are getting smacked for doing a good deed is false. They aren't doing any deed. They are doing their standard practice. They are doing less than they could. I don't think it warrants a suit, but I don't think it warrants praising a company that does not seem to be doing anything special either.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by dnoyeB:

When I said node, I mean your cable modem or digital set top box or terminal adapter. The end node. Comcast knows when those are online and when they are not. Thus, Comcast could give a blanket credit based on on/off time of those devices.

When you said node, I took it to mean the node as in Fiber optic node. I don't know the back office setup for the cable-cos but I have a feeling that it doesn't notify them if CPE is offline, if not they have to look at each individual account to see if the equipment is responding.
said by dnoyeB:

Sure, I suppose its possible someone turned off the power to their house on purpose.

said by dnoyeB:

My point is, this company is NOT doing anything out of the ordinary. So the premise that they are getting smacked for doing a good deed is false. They aren't doing any deed. They are doing their standard practice. They are doing less than they could. I don't think it warrants a suit, but I don't think it warrants praising a company that does not seem to be doing anything special either.

This is a money grab by some silly lawyer. I wonder how many TWC customers are gonna have to call in because they only got one day credit and were down for 2 weeks. While obviously not the perfect approach it is the most fair, unless people don't call in and get no credit. This is a no win situation for all the companies involved.
--

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to dnoyeB

Cablevision was the first major ISP to say that all customers affected, whether through power or cable loss, would get a full refund for all days affected. That's not SOP.

It's like a car company saying "It was tough to get gas, so you only drove half a month, so you can pay 50% this month".

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to dnoyeB

said by dnoyeB:

None of those are Nodes it is not even the correct term. CPE is the right term. And how can CV tell a device with no signal from a device that is unplugged? If I unplug modem and cable boxes Comcast will see them as offline, but the signal is still reaching the house. They have no method to know an unplugged device from a single home with no signal.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports