spc
uniqs
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to Calmuser

to Calmuser

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

said by Calmuser:

this is troubling. I am thinking of switching from Bell (which has been pretty stable, and solid) to Teksavvy. But if i'm not going to get the same speeds from TS, i'm not sure anymore...

Not that I can get 25/7, only 15/1.

But is the congestion just on 25/7?

If you look at Mike2009 previous post in this topic, my guess it's not.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009

said by kovy7:

said by Calmuser:

this is troubling. I am thinking of switching from Bell (which has been pretty stable, and solid) to Teksavvy. But if i'm not going to get the same speeds from TS, i'm not sure anymore...

Not that I can get 25/7, only 15/1.

But is the congestion just on 25/7?

If you look at Mike2009 previous post in this topic, my guess it's not.

It's been happening for a couple of months at least.
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser

very troubling. I am going to hold off on switching for a bit longer now.
Dufus
join:2010-10-20
Scarborough, ON

Dufus

I'm in the same boat.

Currently both a TSI cable customer and a Bell 25/10 customer.

Cable connection has been driving me NUTS over the past few months with random disconnects, modem reboots, etc.
The vDSL has been ROCK SOLID and I get full speeds during peak times on Bell's network.

I was thinking of switching from Bell to TSI vDSL next month, but not with these issues.

Might just cancel the TSI cable and continue to live in shame with Bell internet. :-(

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc to Calmuser

Premium Member

to Calmuser
Gang,

We've been looking into this and received news today that a rate limit is in place on the AGAs links we have with Bell.

Last year when the CRTC decision for capacity based billing was put into effect we had to choose what capacity we wanted on all our links. We felt that asking to use a full gig link meant that we would surely not get full use out of each link since you can't really use a full gig.. So we chose to only do 900 on each one. At first there was no rate limit installed at all and there was no problem.. However, on our side, there's no limit and so it actually reads more than 900 on our usage graphs.. But not quite high enough to look like it was congested.. normally a congested link has a big flat part at the top of the graph.. we dont see that on the agas links.. Yesterday we decided to ask just in case they now had installed a rate limit.. And it turns out they have. So now that we know this, we'll ask them to bump it up to the full gig to help as quickly as possible. We also have a few more links on order that once those are in, we'll likely revert back to 900 on each link.

We have added links though since January.. 3 or 4 I believe.. We just turned another one up last month.. Another one was misconfigured also..

Now.. since the new year, the number of dsl subscribers has remained relatively flat. We sign up as many as there are who cancel. What's been happening is that lower speed users are switching to higher speeds. The net result is that with the higher speeds it means more usage for the same number of users. Basically our costs are going up faster than it makes sense to upgrade. Just adding that extra 100mbit to each Agas will cost us an additional $65k/month plus about $18k in onetime charges.

As it stands right now. We are loosing money on 60000 DSL users. DSL for us is a money looser.

So, yes. I'm reluctant to add more capacity. I'm even more reluctant to impose traffic shaping at peak times. I just can't stomach it.

Where we stand right now is that if the CRTC doesn't come out with the new rates soon. We will have no choice but to raise rates again. It's exactly as I had predicted last year. The only other alternative is if Bell themselves offers us concessions. I've explained to them that this would be the case if nothing was done. I'm expecting to hear from them at the end of the month. I don't know if or what they might do or say.. I don't know when the CRTC might act either. All I know is that I want to offer the service you guys are paying for.. We thought we were.. Now that we know its being rate limited.. We're correcting it.

I've been holding off on making this post since I didn't think there was major congestion but it looks like there is.

In contrast.. As an example. I mentioned in another thread about the notion of converting to aggregated from disaggregated and that it would be slightly more expensive.. If I take the same calculations and replace the CBB rate with the Bell rate. We would be loosing more than $500k/month on day one. If I'd use the Cogeco rate.. It would be even worse.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Ahhh, so thats the culprit... Thanks a lot Marc for the explanation...

Arent the rates under review by the CRTC?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Ahhh, so thats the culprit... Thanks a lot Marc for the explanation...

Arent the rates under review by the CRTC?

Yes. Should be any time now... Hopefully before Christmas. Early next year I'd expect.

Bell doesn't want to loose these subs either though... They may also offer up a temporary off tariff agreement in the mean time.. I don't know.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah, i hope so... VDSL is already pricey as is...

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Yup. I really feel like my back is against the wall. The modem rental, the modems crashing, dry loop fees, setup costs. DMC's.. The whole thing is basically a POS.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Yup. I really feel like my back is against the wall. The modem rental, the modems crashing, dry loop fees, setup costs. DMC's.. The whole thing is basically a POS.

Maybe you should sell the company back to Rocky and go on sabbatical.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I'm confident the rates will be fixed.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Hope so. I feel your pain.

p.s. Should I order my DSL speed bump now?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TSI Marc:

Hope so. I feel your pain.

p.s. Should I order my DSL speed bump now?

Haha.. I'm uh, laughing, um, at me!?
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

I feel your pain.

Tx though.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Ya, tell me about it...

Speaking of modems, have you had any discussion with Bell with regard to them providing you with any sort of spec that you could maybe go and find a modem that would work with these blasted Lucent Stingers? The Alcatel 7330's are not an issue as there are already several modems that work with them...

Or at the very least, for the users who are on the 7330's, that Bell should not have to provide the modem and dump the rental fee?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Sagemcom say they want to start selling them... *shrug* kinda pointless if these rates aren't fixed... It's all on hold for now.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Sagemcom say they want to start selling them... *shrug* kinda pointless if these rates aren't fixed... It's all on hold for now.

Oh, well at least thats somewhat good news... But the exact same model that Bell sells? Or maybe a simple bridge one without all that router/wireless garbage...

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

Oh, well at least thats somewhat good news... But the exact same model that Bell sells? Or maybe a simple bridge one without all that router/wireless garbage...

Think they mentioned simpler ones.. But yeah same company..

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

Think they mentioned simpler ones.. But yeah same company..

Nice... I hope the CRTC can fix this crap, so we may live to see that happen lol... I'm all for it...

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

It's also pretty much completely decimated our reseller network.. I think last I checked we were loosing money on more than 70% of the subs our reseller or wholesalers are selling.. Been trying to hold off doing anything crazy in the hopes that this all gets sorted soon...