join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

ConstantineM to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704

Still no generator, no geo-redundancy, 15+ day delay

I just received this letter, too.

I didn't find the following three points addressed in this letter at all:

• No mentions regarding their lack of a diesel power generator or what they're doing about it. I shall presume, they're doing exactly nothing about their lack of reserve power (their short-term UPS backup that is supposedly only good for an hour or less, and is basically only sufficient enough to shutdown the systems cleanly, hardly counts as reserve power).

• No explicit mention or acknowledgement that they only have one facility, which is the precise reason why they've experienced so much downtime. Again, looks highly unlikely that they're going to address that one, either.

• Still no mention why their customers weren't informed prior to their pre-planned and complete shutdown. Also, it took, what, 2+ weeks for them to compose this letter, which doesn't even address stuff like the generator and geo-redundancy, and lack thereof?

Meh.

I really want to be impressed here, but precisely what is there to be impressed about?

Seems like the only reason they've automated the refund process might be to get rid of people asking for the refund manually through tickets; their delay for tickets is horrible right now, yet in the other thread they were still advising everyone to open-up tickets to get their refunds! New servers to combat their DDoS sounds like old news from the last month that they've supposedly long as taken care of; what else if there in this letter that actually deserves some attention?
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

2 edits

1 recommendation

nonymous (banned)

said by ConstantineM:

I just received this letter, too.

I didn't find the following three points addressed in this letter at all:

• No mentions regarding their lack of a diesel power generator or what they're doing about it. I shall presume, they're doing exactly nothing about their lack of reserve power (their short-term UPS backup that is supposedly only good for an hour or less, and is basically only sufficient enough to shutdown the systems cleanly, hardly counts as reserve power).

• No explicit mention or acknowledgement that they only have one facility, which is the precise reason why they've experienced so much downtime. Again, looks highly unlikely that they're going to address that one, either.

• Still no mention why their customers weren't informed prior to their pre-planned and complete shutdown. Also, it took, what, 2+ weeks for them to compose this letter, which doesn't even address stuff like the generator and geo-redundancy, and lack thereof?

Meh.

I really want to be impressed here, but precisely what is there to be impressed about?

Seems like the only reason they've automated the refund process might be to get rid of people asking for the refund manually through tickets; their delay for tickets is horrible right now, yet in the other thread they were still advising everyone to open-up tickets to get their refunds! New servers to combat their DDoS sounds like old news from the last month that they've supposedly long as taken care of; what else if there in this letter that actually deserves some attention?

Then leave.
I took the credit as broke. Plus did use some of my time making my equipment work with DDOS changes. Phone quality did suck for a time. Plus the outage. I thought about letting them keep it. But am broke.
Thing is I was thinking of leaving. May not leave anyways but the gesture is good. It would cost them way mmore in advertising to get a new customer than the slight refund i got. they can think of it as cheap advertising for an existing customer.

Now my wife may need a business line at home. May go pots expensive or get a line through our cable provider less expensive. VOIP at this time does not seem reliable. Plus easier to tell a boss a major company failed you then ????? That applies to most VOIP not just CC.
One main killer for a home office setup is if CC goes down single failure point no call forwarding. If telco or pots goes down as outside plant or anything beside major switch failure you can always call forward. Switches tend to have some backup and start reporting they are failing sos before blow up. Plus even with a major switch failure a real telco will figure out how to do call forwarding if needed.
So go to pots or cable or a really expensive pro setup. For my home phone not changing yet. For wife's home work line will go more expensive POTS or cable not necessarily better but easier to explain to your boss plus always call forward to another line and have a voip that will let me change the out going caller id if needed for outgping backup.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

3 recommendations

PX Eliezer704 to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

I just received this letter, too....

You started complaining about CallCentric about a year ago, shortly after you first joined the website. Your ragging on them has never stopped.

You unreasonably expected them to support texting, when most US providers didn't and most still don't.

You wrote that European phone companies supported texting, so you were outraged that CC didn't.

You were further outraged that they didn't specifically state the negative on their website, that they did NOT support SMS. But again, they were hardly alone in this.

The fact that you have apparently remained a CC customer indicates to most of us that you just want to complain. Most people who were so unhappy would have simply left a long time ago.

As to other "points" that you made:

1) This email was not meant to be all encompassing. Their director of technical operations has posted here that revised backup measures are being formulated and will be discussed in upcoming weeks. Do you want them to do a good job or a slapdash job?

2) Diesel power generators are not the magical answer to everything. Over and over again in this crisis, generators failed.

3) Yes, they have one facility. They have said it over and over again. They have never said otherwise. Their new plans need to address this, and I am sure they will.

4) I'd hardly call anything that takes place in the middle of an unprecedented hurricane planned or pre-planned in any sense of the word.

5) Yes, it took time to compose this letter. For one thing, they were still dealing with the embers of the DDoS situation. For another, we've been through a fracking hurricane and THEN a major nor'easter with major snow. Give folks a little break, will ya? I just paid a guy $ 2,200 yesterday to get a huge tree off my roof and remove it down to the stump. We've been through a war here, and things are very much NOT back to normal.

I remain mystified why you are always so full of piss and vinegar at this company.

As others have said, if you dislike it so much, leave!
u475700
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
·Callcentric

u475700 to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM
I hope that if some other major incident should ever arise that Callcentric will promptly notify customers via e-mail. My thanks to the members of this forum who alerted us to the situation before there was any official acknowledgement from Callcentric.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

XCOM to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM
Is time to move on. If you have an issue than don't bitch just port out. Instead of me sitting here and complain I ported out and I gave them props to them for finally recognizing their customers. Is simple. No need to drag the issue... Let them do what they have to do and I am sure it will take time....
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

As to other "points" that you made:

1) This email was not meant to be all encompassing. Their director of technical operations has posted here that revised backup measures are being formulated and will be discussed in upcoming weeks. Do you want them to do a good job or a slapdash job?

2) Diesel power generators are not the magical answer to everything. Over and over again in this crisis, generators failed.

3) Yes, they have one facility. They have said it over and over again. They have never said otherwise. Their new plans need to address this, and I am sure they will.

4) I'd hardly call anything that takes place in the middle of an unprecedented hurricane planned or pre-planned in any sense of the word.

Where are those details? I stopped paying attention to all those long threads, 'cause they were full of apologists who insisted that lack of diesel generators and lack of an offsite location are fine business practices. Pages and pages of apologies. Very few replies by CallCentric.

If it's so well known that CallCentric only has one facility, how come so many people were caught off-guard when their services were down? CC clearly doesn't advertise that they lack a power generator and even the simplest, tiniest off-site location that could only support minimal emergency operations. To me, it was a complete surprise that they didn't have a second location for some emergency operations. (OnSIP is also based in New York, but they did have one.)

Also, I don't understand why you dispute that the shutdown was pre-planned. Didn't authorities notify well in advance that the central power will be preventively turned out to avoid salt-water damage, prior to any flooding taking place at all? How could it not have been pre-planned? CallCentric customers are the only one who didn't know about it.