how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

karimh

join:2012-11-15
Montreal, QC

bell sagemcom urgent

hello guys, its the first time i post here and im in desperate need for help...
so basically i had the bell internet using a sagemcom fast 2864 modem/wireless router, however i changed the provider cuz bell is way more expensive so now im with electronic box and
im using a wired modem and i would like to use the sagemcom fast 2864 as a WIRELESS ROUTER ONLY instead of buying a new router..
if this is possible please tell me how to do it step by step
thanks

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
Disable the DHCP server and PPPOE and be done with her
--
"Recognize, Realize, Recover and Repent"

karimh

Montreal, QC
well the problem is that i know nothing about routers so a detailed step by step would be really appreciated

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to karimh
said by karimh:

hello guys, its the first time i post here and im in desperate need for help...
so basically i had the bell internet using a sagemcom fast 2864 modem/wireless router, however i changed the provider cuz bell is way more expensive so now im with electronic box and
im using a wired modem and i would like to use the sagemcom fast 2864 as a WIRELESS ROUTER ONLY instead of buying a new router..
if this is possible please tell me how to do it step by step
thanks

Either way, Bell will ask you to return the modem or charge you for it... I would rather get a better wireless router then the Sagemcom...

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to karimh
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !

Never do this.

Sell your sagemcom on kijiji if bell doesn't ask for it back.

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=73594···oid=1479

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
@bell.ca
kudos:3
reply to karimh
The Sagemcom is the property of Bell Canada, if you do not return you will be charged.

karimh

Montreal, QC
reply to kovy7
They charged me for the sagemcom when they installed the internet for me a while ago... But its also a good idea to re-sell it

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
I've never heard of Bell charging for a Sagemcom during installation.

kovy7

reply to karimh
said by karimh:

They charged me for the sagemcom when they installed the internet for me a while ago... But its also a good idea to re-sell it

They charged you a one time LOCATION fee... you better read your bill or charged you activation fee.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
said by kovy7:

said by karimh:

They charged you a one time LOCATION fee... you better read your bill or charged you activation fee.

Actually, I think its a one time RENTAL fee.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

kovy7

said by HeadSpinning:

said by kovy7:

said by karimh:

Actually, I think its a one time RENTAL fee.

Sorry Location in french, so rental in english.

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
@bell.ca
kudos:3
reply to karimh
There is a rental fee single as you stay subscribed, the Sagemcom is no sold!

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
reply to kovy7
said by kovy7:

Sorry Location in french, so rental in english.

Yes, in English, the word "location" means something completely different.
--

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to karimh
the point remains that you should never use an all-in-one device... for anything... ever! Except maybe as a standalone modem when you have no other choice.

Using it as standalone router is insanity.

use a wrt54g if you have to...

karimh

Montreal, QC
reply to karimh
Well now after all these replys i went ahead and bought a cisco ea2700 wireless router... I live in a 3 story house and the router should be on the first floor.... The new internet's speed is 30 mbps... However i barely can catch the signal on the 3rd floor using the new router and the speed is really slow... So i might return it ... Any suggestions for suitable wireless routers??

kovy7

said by karimh:

Well now after all these replys i went ahead and bought a cisco ea2700 wireless router... I live in a 3 story house and the router should be on the first floor.... The new internet's speed is 30 mbps... However i barely can catch the signal on the 3rd floor using the new router and the speed is really slow... So i might return it ... Any suggestions for suitable wireless routers??

Have you tried different channels with different modes?

karimh

Montreal, QC
nopee... i dont have any wireless phones at home anyways

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
do u have to give the connection hub back to bell or did u buy it and own it?

The Doctor

join:2011-11-25
Montreal,Qc
reply to QuantumPimp
They charged 99$ rental fee for the modem but we get amount credited back.
But we do not own the modem.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
rental fee? as in $99 per month? are you sure?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

Windsor, ON
Bell has a one time rental fee that they credit back. Not sure why they do it that way.
--

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
said by HeadSpinning:

Bell has a one time rental fee that they credit back. Not sure why they do it that way.

Because they can't give them away, but don't want to charge for them. They could rent them for $1.00/month and then give you a $1.00/month credit, or lower the cost of the connection by $1.00/month. But it is far easier on the books to have a single offsetting entry for each account.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to karimh
Bell tends to limit (royally screw up) the firmware so it may not be possible to use it as an Access Point, however in a nutshell you will want to disable DHCP on it, and since you probably will want to get back the the GUI at some future date you should (if you are allowed) give it a static IP address, one which is in your subnet but outside of the DHCP lease scope.

If you search through here you will see that the wireless functions of this router are sub-par at best, as for the issue of ownership if it is Bells' whatever they expect you to pay for it is too much.

kocoman

join:2004-06-08
reply to karimh
How much does Bell charge if you don't return the modem?