Hutt River

3 recommendations

PX Eliezer704 to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM

Re: Still no generator, no geo-redundancy, 15+ day delay

said by ConstantineM:

I just received this letter, too....

You started complaining about CallCentric about a year ago, shortly after you first joined the website. Your ragging on them has never stopped.

You unreasonably expected them to support texting, when most US providers didn't and most still don't.

You wrote that European phone companies supported texting, so you were outraged that CC didn't.

You were further outraged that they didn't specifically state the negative on their website, that they did NOT support SMS. But again, they were hardly alone in this.

The fact that you have apparently remained a CC customer indicates to most of us that you just want to complain. Most people who were so unhappy would have simply left a long time ago.

As to other "points" that you made:

1) This email was not meant to be all encompassing. Their director of technical operations has posted here that revised backup measures are being formulated and will be discussed in upcoming weeks. Do you want them to do a good job or a slapdash job?

2) Diesel power generators are not the magical answer to everything. Over and over again in this crisis, generators failed.

3) Yes, they have one facility. They have said it over and over again. They have never said otherwise. Their new plans need to address this, and I am sure they will.

4) I'd hardly call anything that takes place in the middle of an unprecedented hurricane planned or pre-planned in any sense of the word.

5) Yes, it took time to compose this letter. For one thing, they were still dealing with the embers of the DDoS situation. For another, we've been through a fracking hurricane and THEN a major nor'easter with major snow. Give folks a little break, will ya? I just paid a guy $ 2,200 yesterday to get a huge tree off my roof and remove it down to the stump. We've been through a war here, and things are very much NOT back to normal.

I remain mystified why you are always so full of piss and vinegar at this company.

As others have said, if you dislike it so much, leave!
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

said by PX Eliezer704:

As to other "points" that you made:

1) This email was not meant to be all encompassing. Their director of technical operations has posted here that revised backup measures are being formulated and will be discussed in upcoming weeks. Do you want them to do a good job or a slapdash job?

2) Diesel power generators are not the magical answer to everything. Over and over again in this crisis, generators failed.

3) Yes, they have one facility. They have said it over and over again. They have never said otherwise. Their new plans need to address this, and I am sure they will.

4) I'd hardly call anything that takes place in the middle of an unprecedented hurricane planned or pre-planned in any sense of the word.

Where are those details? I stopped paying attention to all those long threads, 'cause they were full of apologists who insisted that lack of diesel generators and lack of an offsite location are fine business practices. Pages and pages of apologies. Very few replies by CallCentric.

If it's so well known that CallCentric only has one facility, how come so many people were caught off-guard when their services were down? CC clearly doesn't advertise that they lack a power generator and even the simplest, tiniest off-site location that could only support minimal emergency operations. To me, it was a complete surprise that they didn't have a second location for some emergency operations. (OnSIP is also based in New York, but they did have one.)

Also, I don't understand why you dispute that the shutdown was pre-planned. Didn't authorities notify well in advance that the central power will be preventively turned out to avoid salt-water damage, prior to any flooding taking place at all? How could it not have been pre-planned? CallCentric customers are the only one who didn't know about it.