join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to TheHox

Re: Wiring up an apartment building

said by TheHox:

said by Inssomniak:

said by John Galt:

It's my understanding that this is a free service provided to the tenants of the building.

If he uses the RB750 as a switch more than anything then there is no benefit to accessing or trying to bypass speed limits. The core RB1200 would do the heavy lifting. In fact the RB250 might be all you need just a switch to connect the rooms

I was just going to use a router and give that router a 10/2.

How would I setup that switch so the users on that switch get a 10/2 connection

I would limit at the core router. There are many ways to do it. You could do a PCQ for each IP. Or give the port/interface leading to the RB250 switch a max queue of 10/2. Highly recommended because tenants can't bypass limits and all changes are in one spot. You have 20 rooms. I would get a 24 port switch and vlan each apartment. Dhcp at the core, good to go!
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

TheHox

join:2012-05-31
reply to TheHox

Should I use the rb250 and get some type of poe injector for them?
Or get another switch that is 802.3af compliment so I can use the PoE on my netgear FS726TP

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

UBNT and RB are not 802.3af compliant...they utilize passive POE.

This injector would work:

»www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-24v60w-p···sbs_pc_5

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to wirelessdog

Do explain. I am just providing my point of view as a college student who knows quite a lot about networking and what students are using their connections for these days.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

said by ilikeme:

Do explain. I am just providing my point of view as a college student who knows quite a lot about networking and what students are using their connections for these days.

The OP is a former college student that is well aware of the issues.

If you want to continue this off-topic discussion, how about taking it to PMs?

TheHox

reply to ilikeme

Yes, college students would love 30mb, or 50mb fios, or more, so would I. But what we are offering them is free basic internet, just like free basic cable TV, that comes with their lease.

If they want upgraded TV service, or upgraded internet service, they can do so, and pay for it.

From us, they will get 10/2, and that itself is not even guaranteed. We only have a 100/10 connection our self.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08

1 edit
reply to TheHox

I second Inssomniak's recommendation for speed limiting with queues.

We have a deployment that we offer 10/2 on in the apartment building our main pop is in, We have configured the switch with dhcp snooping/arp inspection, Port triggering (aka port isolation). As well as limited the mac address on the switchport to just their router.

We have a /28 subnet dedicated to apartment subscribers.

I plan to migrate this over to pppoe after we get our circuit upgraded to a gigabit. Then I plan to increase the speeds I am offering in the apartment to 50 down 10 up.

edit: We priced our apartment services at $30/mo, Other then one router failure we have had a pretty flawless experience so far with it.

TheHox

So rather than us supplying 20 routers and/or switches, I could just limit the 10/2 on each of the 20 ports of the switch, and let the tenants supply their own router/switch.

That way there is nothing to worry about what they do to what they have access to. Whatever they plug in on the other end of the wire, will only get 10/2? Switch or router?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

It doesn't matter what they provide on their end...not your responsibility!

You will have to terminate all of the cables in the apartments, though, and you might get calls for equipment support when they can't make their gear work on your system. That might be 'billable'.

So, a mixed bag...