MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to hm

Re: GTA is Full of Them - Another "My Rights Are More Impor

said by hm :

I have seen this before, but I've only ever saw it in a mosque over in NDG where the women and men were segregated.

This sort of thing exists in just about all "ultra" conservative/orthodox sects of many religions. Check out an orthodox Jewish synagogue, or indeed many other religions which originated in the Middle East/Asian subcontinent. Women are treated as 'unclean' or worse - and in many instances as mere vessels for procreation - though in fairness most husbands do tend to treat their own wives reasonably well.

However, it is the act of treating women with disdain for religious or cultural reasons which leads down the path to 'accepted' practices never tolerated in western society of demanding blind obedience to males, female infanticide, selective abortion, female genital mutilation, and honour killings. Who here doesn't remember the case of the couple from Montreal who murdered their kids a few years back? Cultural attitudes and religious precepts are often intertwined and hard to separate. »www.globalnews.ca/timeline+shafi···ory.html

And just to set the record straight, I'm not calling the barber anything other than a religiously observant man who made a wrong decision in not cutting the woman's hair.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by MaynardKrebs:

Check out an orthodox Jewish synagogue, or indeed many other religions which originated in the Middle East/Asian subcontinent. Women are treated as 'unclean' or worse - and in many instances as mere vessels for procreation - though in fairness most husbands do tend to treat their own wives reasonably well.

I don't think that in the barber's case, it is an issue of uncleanliness but rather of intimacy.