Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alan47

join:2009-10-07
reply to alan47

Re: DCT700 Basic Digital Adapter Query

Thanks for the replies.

I have a ROKU box that works wirelessly with Verizon's router so I'm curious why the wireless functionality was not incorporated into the DCT700. Needing a coax connection negates the concept of portability in the sense that one is limited to a physical connection.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by alan47:

I'm curious why the wireless functionality was not incorporated into the DCT700. Needing a coax connection negates the concept of portability in the sense that one is limited to a physical connection.

DCT700 tunes from all the channels on the coax and displays the one that's selected.

Roku connects to some stream and displays what is selected. The "tuner" is off-premises.

There's probably a Slingbox or similar model that streams wirelessly. I haven't checked lately, and if you can't get one, I'll bet there's one on a manufacturer's drawing board.

But, I don't think there's a single device out there that combines a tuner with wireless streaming. Closest you might get is a server system you assemble and configure a custom software package. Maybe a MythTV feeding DLNA or similar.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
Another option might be an XBox360 with the Verizon FIOS app. They recently added a bunch of channels. I think a total of 75 or so. You could connect it to your network via Wifi if signal reaches.

The newer slim models have Wifi built in. I do think you will have to pay for XBox Live though which is $35-$60 a year depending on promotion. Which isn't too bad if you figure you aren't paying a monthly fee to Verizon for another box.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to alan47
said by alan47:

Thanks for the replies.

I have a ROKU box that works wirelessly with Verizon's router so I'm curious why the wireless functionality was not incorporated into the DCT700. Needing a coax connection negates the concept of portability in the sense that one is limited to a physical connection.

Because the DCT700 was never part of their deployment plan. It was added when Verizon went all digital as a way to placate the FCC. When the FCC pushed for a separable security requirement with their cable boxes, some smaller cable outfits requested a waiver. Verizon was granted one as well. In exchange, they had to agree to convert all channels to digital. In order to allow consumers who were getting the analog channels to continue to get them when they migrated to digital, Verizon had to implement a method for giving consumers without QAM tuners that capability. Enter the DCT700. It's the one box that they have that's an outlier. The reason it doesn't have a guide or VOD is because it's the only box they offer that isn't IP enabled. The box CAN handle a guide and VOD, provided they come in via QAM. Since Verizon feeds both of those things via IP... you don't get either the guide or VOD with FiOS using that box.

I'm frankly surprised the company is still even offering up the boxes.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by JPL:

I'm frankly surprised the company is still even offering up the boxes.

They probably are still offering to stay within the FCC guidelines. However in the NYC area they have priced it the same as a HD stb so my guess is few if any new customers are using them.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
Most areas there is a $6 difference -- $5.99 vs $11.99.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to alan47
said by alan47:

I have a ROKU box that works wirelessly with Verizon's router so I'm curious why the wireless functionality was not incorporated into the DCT700.

It really has nothing to do with wireless vs. wired. It's Internet (your Roku) vs. traditional cable TV tech (NOT Internet-delivered).

The DCT700 doesn't do anything over the Internet, not even via MoCA. The more advanced STBs do VOD over the Internet, as well as guide data -- but the so-called "linear" channels are still delivered the old-fashioned way.

Verizon does offer a subset of channels via Internet now, but you'll never get them with a DCT700.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0