digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to FaxCap

Re: This explains a lot: people are getting dumber

What purpose is served by knowing how to divide 564,463 by 12,107 by hand?

Is a measure of your intelligence your ability, or lack thereof, to cook all your meals from scratch instead of buying them pre-packaged? Is a computer illiterate who needs that ability smarter than a farmer who runs a well-managed farm?

It's not what you know, it's what you need to know (skillset) to function well in today's environment that matters.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
With those abilities you have options. Knowledge is power. Surveyors have GPS, but they still do it by rod. Why? Because sometimes GPS doesn't work where you are.

You can have a fancy calculator, but if you can't enter an equation in the correct order, it's useless. This is the foundation of knowledge.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by Juggernaut:

With those abilities you have options. Knowledge is power. Surveyors have GPS, but they still do it by rod. Why? Because sometimes GPS doesn't work where you are.

You can have a fancy calculator, but if you can't enter an equation in the correct order, it's useless. This is the foundation of knowledge.

I can't use an algebraic logic calculator - only RPN for me.