MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix

Re: Wii U

My biggest problem with the Wii U is the small hard drives they are putting in the systems. I read on IGN the other day that the 8GB is useless. Once the system boots it's at 7.2gb. The Wii U software takes up 4.2GB of space. Put in New Super Mario Bros U and that takes up 2GB. Guess what, your hard drive is almost full. I may just wait till they release a Wii U with a 100gb hard drive for $350.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

What are you talking about? Where are you getting your info from?

The Basic version has an 8GB HD, but there is an SD Card slot for expandable memory, as well as USB ports which allow you to connect an External HD, so you could really connect a 1TB drive if you wanted to, giving you 1.8TB if you really wanted to go all out.

The Deluxe version has a 32GB HD with SD Card slot for expandable memory, and USB port for External HD connection as well. No need to go over the above again, but with all that said, you could expand your memory for the Deluxe version to 1.32TB if you really wanted to go all out.

Source (Directly from the official Nintendo Wii U website): »www.nintendo.com/consume ··· rage.jsp

1TB drives are fairly cheap now. I've seen some on sale for as low as $75.00.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Here's a story on Ars. The 8gb model only has 3gb of actual space:

»arstechnica.com/gaming/2 ··· and-dlc/

That isn't even enough to hold a 3.2GB downloaded copy of NintendoLand, and can just barely hold a 2GB copy of New Super Mario Bros. U. Wii U discs can hold up to 25GB of data, so downloadable versions of some larger retail games are going to be tough to squeeze on to the Deluxe edition's 25GB of available space (and Nintendo has promised that most retail Wii U titles will be offered as downloads the same day they launch in stores).

Fail Nintendo. In an era of digital downloads and DLC, I don't WANT to have to buy extra crap just to use your product. The original xbox 360 had 20 gigs and I filled that up fairly quickly. I don't understand business decisions like this.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

What are you talking about? Where are you getting your info from?

The Basic version has an 8GB HD, but there is an SD Card slot for expandable memory, as well as USB ports which allow you to connect an External HD, so you could really connect a 1TB drive if you wanted to, giving you 1.8TB if you really wanted to go all out.

The Deluxe version has a 32GB HD with SD Card slot for expandable memory, and USB port for External HD connection as well. No need to go over the above again, but with all that said, you could expand your memory for the Deluxe version to 1.32TB if you really wanted to go all out.

Source (Directly from the official Nintendo Wii U website): »www.nintendo.com/consume ··· rage.jsp

1TB drives are fairly cheap now. I've seen some on sale for as low as $75.00.

I don't know, if the quotes in the post above yours are accurate about how much space the default system comes with, and just how much one game install is, that really doesn't fly in my book. Assuming, of course, that's accurate. The idea that people should necessarily be expected to buy more storage is so Gamecube/PS2. The basic model should provide for the average gamer's experience. The big question is, does New Super Mario Brothers U actaully *require* a full 2GB, or is that 2GB an optional install that functions like the Xbox 360's install-to-hard-drive option? I wouldn't mind so much if that's an install option, but if the average game does take up that much space just to play it, that's annoying.

Just because the option to expand the capacity exists doesn't mean that people who buy the cheaper version of the console should be expected by default to do so in order to play more than 1-2 games. Then they should just sell only one version of the console, the 32 gig model. If people are going to have to spend more money on storage anyway, they might as well just spend that extra money on the better version of the console and that money would go to Nintendo instead of a bunch of third-party companies that make hard drives, USB sticks, etc.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by danawhitaker:

I don't know, if the quotes in the post above yours are accurate about how much space the default system comes with, and just how much one game install is, that really doesn't fly in my book. Assuming, of course, that's accurate. The idea that people should necessarily be expected to buy more storage is so Gamecube/PS2. The basic model should provide for the average gamer's experience. The big question is, does New Super Mario Brothers U actaully *require* a full 2GB, or is that 2GB an optional install that functions like the Xbox 360's install-to-hard-drive option? I wouldn't mind so much if that's an install option, but if the average game does take up that much space just to play it, that's annoying.

In the context of the story I think that 2 GB is the size of the entire game if you were to download it instead of buying a store copy, not install + disk size. So downloading their games digitally, which they have said will be available, isn't going to be much of an option on either system unless you spend more money elsewhere.

Of course the Xbox 360 has a 4 gb model for people to play exclusively off of disks, and the same could be said for the WiiU. My concern is that the 35gb model is the biggest they have; there's not an option for people who do want to get a lot of their content digitally without spending money on additional hardware.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Hell, you can even get a 64GB SD Card if you don't want to go the way of the External HD.There are so many options.

How much you wanna bet you see people start cracking the Wii U open and upgrading the HD on their own, the same way they were doing with the PS3's and XBOX 360's? Nothing different there either, so I don't see what the issue is.

Don't want the 8GB version, spend the extra $50 to get the 32GB version. Simple.
Want the 8GB version, then spend a little more for external storage. Simple. It was the same thing with the other consoles, so I don't know why it being spun as if Nintendo really dropped the ball with this.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Hell, you can even get a 64GB SD Card if you don't want to go the way of the External HD.There are so many options.

How much you wanna bet you see people start cracking the Wii U open and upgrading the HD on their own, the same way they were doing with the PS3's and XBOX 360's? Nothing different there either, so I don't see what the issue is.

Don't want the 8GB version, spend the extra $50 to get the 32GB version. Simple.
Want the 8GB version, then spend a little more for external storage. Simple. It was the same thing with the other consoles, so I don't know why it being spun as if Nintendo really dropped the ball with this.

Because it's not spin and they obviously did. It's not 2005 anymore, and even then it definitely is not the same thing on the other consoles. Both Microsoft and PS3 have options to where you don't have to spend any extra money on something as integral to the console as sufficient memory if you don't want to. Even with the 32gb version, not much more than one AAA game will fit.

Frankly it looks to me like they are still counting on the relative technological inexperience of their base, who since the Wii tend to be the more casual players and probably wouldn't know a digital download or DLC if it fell out of the sky, landed on their face and started to wiggle. Which is fine if they're fine with the casual only crowd. But I thought they wanted to get more core gamers back into the fold and this certainly isn't the way. A /facepalm for sure.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

I assume they are just using the space for save games and not for DL as of yet. It will fit fine with just the 32GB and playing from a disk. It is shortsighted to not not think about add ons and direct purchases but maybe they saw it as another opportunity to get a new peripheral. Because we all know Nintendo is all about getting you to buy extra stuff for the systems. I'm sure that the smaller drives also helped in keeping the system from being as expensive as a PC.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by fnord76:

I assume they are just using the space for save games and not for DL as of yet. It will fit fine with just the 32GB and playing from a disk. It is shortsighted to not not think about add ons and direct purchases but maybe they saw it as another opportunity to get a new peripheral. Because we all know Nintendo is all about getting you to buy extra stuff for the systems. I'm sure that the smaller drives also helped in keeping the system from being as expensive as a PC.

All true enough. I do think it's shortsighted when they announce most of their games will be available in digital format but don't actually include enough memory to download many. I thought of the 'keeping it inexpensive' angle too but really...memory is cheap these days, and it's got to be even cheaper wholesale. I agree with you; I'll bet we'll see a Nintendo licensed external hard drive or other memory peripheral shortly after launch.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Because it's not spin and they obviously did. It's not 2005 anymore, and even then it definitely is not the same thing on the other consoles. Both Microsoft and PS3 have options to where you don't have to spend any extra money on something as integral to the console as sufficient memory if you don't want to. Even with the 32gb version, not much more than one AAA game will fit.

Frankly it looks to me like they are still counting on the relative technological inexperience of their base, who since the Wii tend to be the more casual players and probably wouldn't know a digital download or DLC if it fell out of the sky, landed on their face and started to wiggle. Which is fine if they're fine with the casual only crowd. But I thought they wanted to get more core gamers back into the fold and this certainly isn't the way. A /facepalm for sure.

I consider myself a core gamer, but I also hate digital content, and would much rather have a physical copy of the game. For the most part, I just don't trust digital. And while yes, something could happen to my physical copies, those are something I could always replace in the end for a substantially reduced price on the used game market if I ever needed to. I just don't trust digital content providers to continue providing their product indefinitely. So while the lack of space for digital downloads doesn't necessarily bother me for that reason, I do think that telling people they're getting an 8 gig hard drive but having it immediately filled with 4 gigs of stuff is bad practice. I can't imagine if the 8 gig iPod Touch my daughter has had come that way - I'd have been beyond angry.